First PC Grow Help with Pics

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JTwizz22, Jul 16, 2012.

1. #1 JTwizz22, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
    Hey All!
    This is a clone a friend gave me and I put it in my case yesterday. I seen today that half the stem is turning black and it looks to be happening on the edges of leafs as well. It is about 2-3 inches under the light and the temps are about 80-85F. Lights I am using are 2x 23w (100w equiv) CFLs 6500k 1850 lumens each and 1x 23w (100w equiv) CFL 2700k 1600 lumens. There are 2 fans in front blowing in and a big exhaust fan on the back. It has been growing roots for about 2 weeks now so I fed it a VERY low dose of Miracle Gro Liquid African Violet diluted with some water when I put it in the case. Not sure but it looks like it is starting to wilt too. Can anyone tell me what this is? Thank you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0157.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0156.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0154.jpg

EDIT: The clones were outside and some insects got to them so that is why some leafs are cut

2. So I was looking a little closer and under the leaves I found little black dots. I wiped some off with my finger then looked at some closer and seen them moving. Im guessing its probably spider mites. They will be gone soon but I dont think this is the cause of the dark coloration.

I also added another intake fan to help with temperature. I was able to get it directly on the plant so that should help with overall growth. Once the mites are taken care of should I maybe transplant into my 1 gallon and give it 1/4 strength 7-7-7 feed?

3. Okay so I have been misting the plant all over every couple hours when it looks dry and most of the mites seem to be gone for now. I am still going to get a solution to help keep them away.

The dark coloration seems to be lighting up and turning more of a reddish color. Temps are down to 75F and I moved her up an inch closer to the lights since temps are down. Soil is still pretty moist and I am unsure if I should use nutes next watering or if I should still transplant. Any advice? Thanks!

4. No need to transplant yet man. How old is the clone? I don't think those are spider mites. What kinda soil you using? You're gonna wanna add at least one more CFL.
    Other than that she looks okay. Just because the temp of the cab is cool doesn't mean they leaves won't burn from being too close. If you put your hand just as close and its uncomfortable then move it up a little.
    Good job so far man. My first grow was some bag seed under a heat lamp Haha. I knew they wouldn't make it long but I learned quite a bit.

5. #5 JTwizz22, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks for the reply! I have another light, im just not sure if a 4th will fit on the power strip haha. It is about 2 weeks old now, I just got it on Saturday and its a blue cheese strain. I didn't ask what soil they put it in so your guess is as good as mine! I do have some all purpose organic potting soil made by Gardenscape when transplant time comes. It has perilite, peat humus, and all the good stuff I read that everything else has for drainage, etc. I read some reviews on it and as long as I add some nutes in it, it should be fine as it does not have much. I found a bag of organic compost with cow manure (NPK .5-.02-.5) and I was thinking about adding 3 or 4 tablespoons. The directions say to use 1 tablespoon per inch of the diameter of the pot, I was thinking a little less. I can't really find any thing else other than miracle gro or scotts by me unless i go to the hydro store and pay 20 dollars more :(

The leaf that has about 3/4 of the point cut off has the most black spots right now, would I be safe to cut this and get it out? When would it be safe to start LST and maybe even top or FIM? And last question for now, should the 4th light be another 6500k or a 2700k? Thanks again!

6. [quote name='"JTwizz22"']Thanks for the reply! I have another light, im just not sure if a 4th will fit on the power strip haha. It is about 2 weeks old now, I just got it on Saturday and its a blue cheese strain. I didn't ask what soil they put it in so your guess is as good as mine! I do have some all purpose organic potting soil made by Gardenscape when transplant time comes. It has perilite, peat humus, and all the good stuff I read that everything else has for drainage, etc. I read some reviews on it and as long as I add some nutes in it, it should be fine as it does not have much. I found a bag of organic compost with cow manure (NPK .5-.02-.5) and I was thinking about adding 3 or 4 tablespoons. The directions say to use 1 tablespoon per inch of the diameter of the pot, I was thinking a little less. I can't really find any thing else other than miracle gro or scotts by me unless i go to the hydro store and pay 20 dollars more :(

The leaf that has about 3/4 of the point cut off has the most black spots right now, would I be safe to cut this and get it out? And last question for now, should the 4th light be another 6500k or a 2700k? Thanks again![/quote]

I use fox farm nutes so can't help ya on that end. Just go really light on them.

Anyway you can squash all the little bugs? Maybe get a better look at them and Google to see what they are man? Find out what exactly you're fighting first.

For the light, you have a mixed spectrum already so it should be fine with whatever light you add.

7. Im going to have to go get 2 Y splitters. I am able to squash them and wipe them off. Im going to look at Neem oil prices at my local stores as well. Until now squashing, wiping, and spraying seems to be a temporary fix.

8. Alright got the Neem Oil and the Y Splitters. 4th light fit with some minor adjustments. I couldn't have them in a straight line so they are in an arch which should actually help side growth. I noticed the temperature hitting 85 almost again, might need one more fan.

I sprayed the Neem oil outside and let it sit for about 15 minutes, I noticed instantly little things flying away from the leafs and soil. I also gave it some liquid feed. I compared the leaf and stem color to a grow bible and it looks like it may have a nitrogen deficiency. I will post some pictures once I start seeing some more changes.

9. Then you should give it something light man. If she's showing she wants it give it to her. Do a little research on what you're giving it first. Good job so far man.

10. Its 7-7-7 miracle gro liquid african violet food. Says to put 7-10 drops per quart of water. I made a pint and used about 2-4 drops, an extra may have slipped in there lol. What I did was first water it about half with the nute water, then finished her off with a little bit of just plain water. Not sure if this effects anything but I thought it would be a good way to push the nutes down into the soil better.

11. #11 JTwizz22, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    Here are 3 pics I just took. New growth seems to be doing well. The other leafs look like they got chewed up good or I maybe fed her to much. Maybe it was the neem oil. They look a little yellowish too. The darkness on the top of the stem is staying the same, but now its occuring on the whole stem, it seems to start red then continues to darken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0162.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0161.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Twiztid14/IMAG0160.jpg

EDIT: Here are 2 more pics, I tried to get a close up of the stem. It looks shiny in one cause I just gave it a small mist, its abnormally hot today! I was just using my phone and it wouldn't focus on the stem but you can see the red.

\IMAG0164.jpg
    \IMAG0166.jpg

12. Do you have anything blowing on them? That will help thicken their stalks. How often do you water? They look a little droopy.

13. #13 JTwizz22, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    I was just about to go to sleep, glad I checked the post! I water once a day and I have a 120mm PC fan blowing on it. I can let the soil dry a little bit more and see what happens. Does light misting every 3-5 hours effect anything? Im going to take it out of the red pot as well and just use a dish to catch run-off.

Next paycheck im going to get a 4 in 1 soil tester for NPK, pH, water, and light.
    I think I found a place to get Fox Farm Soil and General Hydroponics nutes and im going try the lucas formula. Maybe 1 or 2 more fans. Would it be okay to leave the side off the case if temps get to hot in the mean time? I have it in a closet and not worried about anyone seeing it.

14. I started LST and I FIMed the new growth. All is looking pretty good. I just had one question. Can I FIM the new growth coming from the lower stems? Here are some pictures of what growth I am talking about.

First picture is a picture from the FIM and the 2 new growths. You can see new growth from the lower stem as well. Second picture is supposed to be right on the lower stems new growth. Once it gets a little bigger, can I FIM that? Thank you!

Attached Files:

15. Anyone have any input or answers for me? The new growth is already doubled in size!! :)

16. Well for any who cares, the FIM I did to the top actually turned into 4 new branches. It only looked like 2 at first so im very excited! I just FIMed the side growth that is big enough. So as of right now im thinking I will have about 10-16 budding sites. She is growing preflower pistils as well. I might FIM the rest of the side growth by the end of this week depending on the size and then im going to wait 2 weeks and throw it in flower. She is starting to smell amazing as well! Any criticism, advice, comments or anything from anyone?!?!?!

17. Glad its working out man. You're learning by doing :) I've never fimmed just topped. You have any pics?

18. #18 JTwizz22, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    I will put up some pictures later today. I think it is only 2 new branches at the top now. I might of messed up the fim and actually topped. As it keeps getting bigger it looks more like 2 instead of 4. Also, my lowest set of leaves I ended up cutting off, they kept getting worse and worse from the previous bug bites, one leaf fell off with barely any force. So im hoping she will still pull through with out those leaves, she is still looking very healthy and its been about 15 hours since I cut off the leaves.

19. #19 JTwizz22, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    I finally decided to put up some pictures. She is about 3 weeks old now since I got her as a clone. This is after one top, and still recovering from a second top on one stem, and a FIM on the other. I messed up the one FIM so thats why I had to top. I also transplanted into some FoxFarm Ocean Forrest that I managed to find, and picked up some general hydroponics flora micro and bloom.

The leaves that are lighter green/yellowish and look nute burned (I wasn't paying attention and fed it nutrients on accident one day) are actually recovering and turning back green, must be the better soil :hello: Fourth picture is the FIM, fifth is the top, and the sixth is just a picture of the first top I did and some new side growth.

Attached Files:

20. Cant decide when to start flowering. Any advice from anyone? Here are some new pictures...

Attached Files: