First hydro grow 3 weeks into flower

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by El Lion, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Toking off and on for over 20 years, I was pretty laid back about my first grow: I was going to do it outdoors, in the backyard. However, all sorts of cool and discretion did not seem to matter: It did not take long before the small (!) grow became subject to a wide variety of interest and concerning behavior from neighbors (those bastards!) Without going into details, one week into flowering I had no choice but to cut it down.

Six months later, I am comfortably sitting next to my indoor garden inside the house. It is my second grow ever, and my first hydro grow. Collecting all the materials and installing the equipment took quite some time and more money than I anticipated. The diaphragm pump (aeroponics) caused me the most headache: Little did I know the sound level of an operating 12V water pump is similar to that of a Boeing 747 - just horrendous! Some research and tweaks has lowered the noise considerably, but I still have some work ahead to achieve a comfortable sound level.

I ordered my seeds from Nirvana Seeds: AK-48, White Widow, and got Jock Horror as a gift. No complaints! The water reservoir has six net cups, and I successfully germinated two of each strain. In hindsight, three plants would probably be better, and of one strain only. The plants grow at different speed. Particularly the AK-48 and the Jock Horror dominates the grow box, leaving less light for the White Widows. Low stress plant training helps some.

Two - three weeks into flowering, everything seems ok. Before I received my PH down-product, I was struggling and messing about replacing the nutrients too often. It has probably slowed down growth slightly, and I had signs of some phosphorus deficiency, but a stricter pH-regiment appears to help. New leafs are dark green and the largest buds about 3-4 centimeters long (White Widow much larger, as it started flowering one week prior to the others).

I am not particularly proud, more on the concerned side of the emotional spectrum. How does it look, fellow growers?

Any feedback much appreciated.

I built the grow box from a standard metal cabinet. Not optimal, but the best option available to me currently.
    [​IMG]

The Jock Horror grew fast, but has the longest flowering time. Buds are forming nicely, but slowly.
    [​IMG]

White Widows have a tremendous resin buildup and stink to high heaven.
    [​IMG]

2. in general it looks good to me....decent size of flowers for week 3.
    the fact that you went for 3 strains on 1 system is a rooky mistake...been there.
    if you want different strains , use different setups.
    and like you said, try to get a different cabinet....metal isn't the best option.
    good luck in the future...and keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thank you very much! Confidence is not and should not be overwhelming with the first grow. Although the numbers on the DTS meter are right and the plants look ok, it is very assuring to have your confirmation on top of it all. When these girls ripens it will be more than six months since I smoked and close to X-mas. Can't wait!

4. I’ve got 7 strains going
    Same setup
    You calling me a rookie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  5. Too much Nitrogen
    Stop feeding, for a week, plain ph’d Aqua

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you. Interesting. Looking at your fat girls, it is tempting to jump into action following your suggestion, but one question first: How do you know it is overfeeding? I have rigorously been following the mixing instructions from the supplier, but pH has been unstable up until one week back, when I received my pH down-product. Additionally, I am awaiting a shipment for ppm calibration - I expect it to be out of whack. pH diode is calibrated properly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That’s all fine and very good
    It’s the manufacturers feeding guidelines
    They are to strong
    I start with. A 1-1-1 grow micro boom
    Then slowly increase, but at the same time, becoming one with the plant[​IMG]
    Watch her color, don’t over feed or over water. Easier said than done? No, your leaves are extremely dark. Nitrogen tox [​IMG]
    Good luck
    Nice plants[​IMG]

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 2
  8. The jumping Guru convinced me (hilarious!), and besides - what harm can 7 days of pH'd water do. Thank you O' Grand Master!

• Like Like x 2
  9. No , you obviously have been playing around with hydro for a while to go with 7 on 1 setup. ....you must be....
    That or you are a madman...
    Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hydro , no sorrrry
    Dirt growin in dirt
    Yeah seven strains in hydro[​IMG][​IMG]

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Deleted member 1068439, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
    Supplier wants u to use much more then needed! I started out 1/4 strength n worked my way up as plant grew

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reading up on the subject, I come across that a lot. Sad, really, that manufacturers base product information on profit rather than science. Thank you very much for the comment.

13. Everything from car food (oil/filters and time to change oil) to plant food lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Having three strains growing in a six net-cup reservoir proved to have its challenges. The shortest plant is now completely obsucured by the largest. Not much else pruning to do, but the mini-White Widow is maturing ahead of the others. Brown pistils, but thricomes still clear and transparent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Actually
    They base it on growing plants under
    PERFECT CONDITIONS. 1000watters
    Scientifically grown

@ I love growing weed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Starting this hobby, I never thought otherwise (manufacturers testing done scientifically), but many forums and general cannabis information online repeat the same message - and I paraphrase: «The recommended amount of nutrient solution is always higher than necessary». However, the reasons for the recommended dosage being higher, can have a different explanation than my rookie assumption. I did not have a clue - thank you for sharing your knowledge!

By the way - I have four days left to go on your recommended ph'd water-regime. The top fan leafs are starting to brighten up, and the smell increasing. I am not 100 % sure about the second part, but the leafs are definitely brightening up. Would you still recommend going for a full week?

Thank you very much for all your feedback. Without your intervention, I would risk having things going south fast!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Got a recent pic

@ I love growing weed

18. Muchas gracias! The picture is five minutes fresh. LEDs off - flash on.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. How long since last feed
    She’s real
    Drop all nitrogen
    Concentrate on 1/4-1/2 strength p-k booster
    Water feed water feed
    Looks like she’s about 4-5 wks in flower
    Try Beastie bloomz you may get a couple doses of that in her
    Then switch to Cha-Ching for last week(s) before flush
    Nice plant. She should do fine
    Great job

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 El Lion, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Following the intervention from the jumping guru ;) it is four days since last feeding (nutrients in reservoir). In other words, I only fed ph'd water for four days. About your nutrient-recommendations: I am sure they are splendid, but I am located in a country with import restrictions on such chemicals. I only used standard A + B hydroponics nutrient branded «Hydrohobby». In addition, after much hassle, I managed getting my hands on a local CalMag product, which I haven't even opened yet. The plant has grown on the Hydrohobby brand ONLY from germination to date. Translating the product information to English, the manufacturer suggests the product is an all-in-one solution that can be used from germination to harvest - resulting in improved yields. Again, had I been located closer to civilization, I would already have had the products you mention on hand, but in this godforsaken place I have no choice but to keep things simple...

• Like Like x 1