First grow!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ganjagrower327, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I noticed before that you said your carbon filter was on the ducting for the air cooled hood.
    If you were using that for smell, wouldn't you want it on the exhaust? Am I correct with this assumption?

Also, for the temperature, what about putting a small desk fan or something to circulate the air down there?
    It would also help the plants stems, i'm pretty sure someone posted about it before :p

On another note, your plants are looking really fantastic dude.
    How much longer are you thinking you'll be sitting in veg?

I'm pulling up a chair if you don't mind :)

2. Go ahead and pull up that chair bro! Im real excited that others are interested in my grow.

My temps are leveled off at around 84 now that the ballast is out of the room.

3. Well guys i have some unfortunate news. its only 78 degrees outside, yet the entire room where my grow rooms exhaust vents to is up to 85, making the grow room 90. Venting it outside is out of the question and im running too much on a 15 amp circuit to put an AC. I dont think a bigger fan would help because my exhaust and intake comes from the same room and that room is too hot. Only thing i know to do is to knock down my ballast to 75%....that really sucks because thats only like 450 watts and I paid good money for that 600.

4. Out of curiosity, why is venting outside out of the question? Even with scrubbing? If your exhaust and intake are from the same room, it kind of defeats the purpose of ventilation....instead of pulling in cooler air from outside or elsewhere in the house, you are essentially pulling in the same warm air that you are exhausting. Once you are In flowing, I would think mold would be a major concern and fresh air is important.

With more details on the surrounding rooms and walls and the set up of your house, maybe we can figure out a more effective way to ventilate.

5. Well, its in my shop, I put a wall up to separate the grow room. The building it is in is 10x30, with an open door to the larger portion of my shop which stays much cooler.

6. You're using a 4" 160 cfm vent fan with carbon filter to cool a 600w light and grow tent, correct?

What I'd do is upgrade to a 6" 400 cfm fan and add a speed controller to it ($150 with carbon filter from the LA shop) Keep your 4" and build another grow area lol.

OR, give the light it's own fresh intake sealing it off from the grow area and get another 4" fan so that you have 2... one cooling the light and the other cooling the tent (put your carbon filter on the one cooling the tent)

I've got an underpowered fan in my flowering box too, also have 8 air conditioners stacked in my basement so I just used one of those. Not very cost effective for one light, but it keeps my flowering temps at 76f :D

7. I'm already saving up cash. What if I buy the same fan and double up? i know it sounds silly but it would save the the trouble of converting to 6 inch.

8. dont double up, use 1 for cooling the lights and the other for your filter.

9. Uh huh.... :bongin:

10. #50 ganjagrower327, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Right now im just clingin to the hope that it was just a random temp spike, cause now everything is down to 78, And 69 when the lights are off. If they get back up to the 90's ill figure out something.

The biggest plant is up to 11 inches! Im so happy! But the others are around 8 inches.

I heard somewhere that the taller plants are usually male, does this hold any truth?

Oh, happy 4/20 everyone :wave:

11. There's no such thing as a "random" temp spike, as there was a definite cause for it.....ambient conditions exceeded the capacity of your. Entilation setup. I wouldn't assume that it won't happen again as the conditions that day already demonstrated that your ventilation is insufficient to deal with those conditions. Summer is coming along with warmer weather, you are bound to have more 90 plus degree events.....why not prepare and remedy the situation now? It would suck to have a great grow and then have high temps in flower fry your girls.

As for the tall ones being male, it is said that the fastest growing and most vigorous plants are often male as they have a faster metabolism of sorts. If you have a couple growing taller and faster, this doesn't mean they are male though. 2 of my plants were way bigger and I though they would turn out male, instead they just turned out to be lanky sativa phenotypes of my supposedly indica dominant strains. :). Hope this helps!

12. I would love to provide some more ventilation, but my cash is simply not there. Id like to do it right, by getting a 6 inch fan for the light and keep the same 4 inch fan just for the filter. But, the 440 cfm fan I want is like 120 dollars and right now I simply cant afford it. In the meantime ill just keep the door open, while the smell isint that bad.

Im 19 so money is a big issue. Im sure im younger than most of the other growers on this website, and with less cash flow lol.

Status update: The plants are looking excellent and the temperature in the grow room ranges from 79 to 82 degrees. The plants are starting to level out by themselves, the tallest plant being 12" and the shortest at 10". The light is 10" away and i water once a week.

13. Got some pics of my baby's. How are they looking guys? I love all of your feedback!

[​IMG]

This one looks kinda funny with all of its tiny leaves:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Very nice man, I see a lot of future budsites on that second pic :D

They're out of stock right now, but I'll leave this here in case you can use it later. EcoPlus Classic 6" Inline Fan 340 CFM

15. Wow that's cheap. Think that thing would be real loud?

16. I bought the 4" and yea, it's loud. I can just hear it on the first floor from the basement, but I did nothing to silence it either. They can be suspended from bungee cords and wrapped in insulation to help with the noise. If you browse the site, they sell hundreds of carbon filters and mufflers... materials for making your own filter too. :bongin:

17. The 4 inch i got right now is quiet enough for me, but the same brand fan in 6 inch is like 100 dollars....

18. Watered them today. I did not add nutes this time, instead I used straight tap water (6.8). I used 1 gallon for each plant. When I use nutes, I use 1/2 gallon per plant. Sound like a good plan?

And I water once every 5-7 days

19. Looking good! As someone who deals with drinking water treatment everyday for my career, I'll advise against using tap water for your grow as there are all sorts of chemicals in there that are not great for MJ. Just my $.02 :) Other than that, things look great man, nice work!

20. Well, its actually well water. But who knows if thats any better....lol