First Grow. What went wrong?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jaso, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I've actually lurked this site on and off since 2008, and I've seen this site evolve from what it used to be. Today, I've finally made an account and am posting in hopes of some feedback and advice from you all.

Here is my plant. She was planted about 2 and a half months (maybe a little closer to 3 months) ago. I found a tiny seed from a bag I had and wondered what would happen if I just planted it. As almost a joke and expecting nothing to happen, I grabbed a small container and filled it with some dirt from the yard and threw the poor little seed in there. A few days later, a seedling had ripped out of the top of that crude dirt. Feeling horrible about it, I went to Wal-Mart and bought some planting soil and a pot. I moved the little plant into some fresh soil, and just left it on our porch for a few days.

The plant just kept growing, and eventually it started to form leaves that could easily be identified as weed so I had to move it indoors. Having no idea what I was doing, I just took a light and a spare bulb we had around the house and set it under the light. The plant went a while with no growth or changes. I then did some research to find that I was not lighting it anywhere near the needed amount. I upgraded the lighting, by using a 150W CFL bulb, and getting a second light of the same power. I also bought a small fan for the closet it was in, for ventilation of some kind. I kept the lights about 5 inches away from the top of the plant.

A month or so went on and the plant was slowly growing, but seemingly getting burned by too much light. I moved the lights higher and higher, and I noticed that seemed to control the stem growth as well. I gave it about 2 months to try and grow and vegetate. It is getting colder here in Florida, and our apartment does not have central heating so I've been afraid that the plant wouldn't make it too far into the really cold months. About 2 and a half weeks ago, I started the plant on a 12/12 light rotation. 12 hours of light, 12 of dark. Before she was on 18/6.

I apologize for the wall of text, I just think its important you understand the rough life this plant has had. It has also had issues with over watering and under-watering, but that situation improved when I put the fan in.

SO TO SUM IT ALL UP: What do you guys think of the set up now? Next time I want to try 3 or 4 plants at once in a larger closet but using the same kind of lights. For the plant itself, how much bud do you think Ill get here? I was thinking no more than a few grams. Any how, thanks for reading please be honest in what you think. I can take any pictures you guys need to see as well.

Attached Files:

2. you should get some smoke out of it :)

3. I think given the circumstances, it turned out well. i wouldnt even expect it to grow really given the hardship haha. But I suppose it can be quite a resilient plant. Can’t say for sure what you will yield but do let us know. I think growing more in a better enviroment from the start is a great idea aswell. Goodluck on your journey. Make a grow journal, and do as much research as you can.

4. I did keep a journal, I failed to update it once I started the new light cycle. This started out as kind of a 'what would happen if' and turned into a project I spent money on. Next grow I will certainly keep an updated journal and do it right from the start.
    I hope at least enough to make it worth all the time spent. I can't wait to smoke my own grown product. Simply amazing how one tiny seed, some dirt, and water can create beautiful marijuana.

Ill make sure to bump this once it gets a little closer to harvest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1