First grow-seedling problems-with pics. HELP!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by tripleduece249, Jul 14, 2012.

1. #1 tripleduece249, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    I planted 3 germinated fem LSD seeds from Barney's on June 30th in Burpee organic seedling mix in a flat. I keep them about 10" from 4, 4ft T5 bulbs. Temp at leaf level is 75 degrees, + or - 2 degrees. 35-40% humidity (A touch low due to central air running). I give them spring water, PH adjusted to 6.2.

I transplanted the 2 strongest yesterday morning, 13 days after breaking surface, into half Burpee organic seedling mix and half my own organic soil mix based on Jerry's thread. The soil mix has been cooking for about 2 months.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...door-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

Up until about 6 hours ago they were looking normal. When I went to check them before the lights turn off (16/8) the stronger of the two seedlings had greyish blotches on one of it's leaves. I have a feeling this will get worse before it gets better. Anybody know what is going on with the blotches?

They other thing I wanted to ask about was the leaves drooping. They have pretty much always looked like that and I'd like to know if that is normal. The other pics of seedlings I've seen around here look like the leaves are perky and pointing towards the light.

Not sure why the pics upload sideways. I truly appreciate anything you guys have to say.

Thanks buds!

*edit-forgot to mention I have a small 12" oscillating fan about 3 feet away on low during daylight hours. It goes on for a half hour 4 times during the dark hours.

Attached Files:

2. Thought I would post an update.

The blotches haven't changed at all in 24 hours. The seedlings are taking off though. I was gone for the majority of the day and when I got back there was definitely noticeable growth. Probably the first time I can say that. Up until today growth has been so slow it's been nearly unnoticeable.

Since nobody has told me the drooping is normal I'm going to assume I need to ease up on the water a bit.

I'll go ahead and ask another question no one will answer. Do the blotches look like they could have been caused by droplets of water that might have fallen on the leaves? I don't directly mist the plants but I spray the inside of the closet pretty heavily. I have no prior experience so any input is appreciated.

3. Looks like fungus

4. It looks like minor burn from water. Just like you suspect. I would lay off the water until they need it. Watch your leaves and lift your pots. That should dictate when to water. I like to watch lower fan leaves and wait till there is a slight droop and the pots feel light. You probably know, LITFA and you'll be fine.

5. I agree. Ease up on both watering and misting.

Another concern is you saying that you are adjusting your pH.

How and why?

J

6. Yeah I'm going to let them dry up a bit.

I was watering them with spring water that had a PH of about 8. I figured since I had a big jug of PH down layin around I'd use it to get a little closer to 6. Bad Idea?
    I wasn't planning on continuing this once they got into the organic soil mix. But seriously, is it a bad idea or just not necessary in your opinion? I figured the only drawback was not being 100% organic.

7. Using chemicals in soil will kill off microbes. A soil mix made with good compost will help naturally balance pH.

It's probably not going to ruin your garden or anything but a pH of 8 really isn't bad. What are your seedlings in right now?

8. I started the seeds in Burpee organic seedling starter mix. After 13 days they were ready to be moved to a bigger container so I put them in Solo cups with half Burpee organic seedling starter mix and half organic soil mix I've had cooking for over 8 weeks. It is based on the mix you posted here.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...door-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

If you want I can list the recipe later tonight.

9. It happened again on the same plant.

The spots didn't spread last time. They just changed color to light brown dead spots. The plants have been growing well otherwise until I noticed the spots/blotches again this morning. Not sure if it is a coincidence but I repotted them into 1 gallon grow bags filled with 100% of the organic mix that I used last time two days prior to the spots appearing. If you review the original post, this happened shortly after repotting last time. No spots on the plant next to it though, which was also repotted at the same time.

Take a look at the pics. First 3 are just the plants in general.
    pics 4 and 5 are of the blotches on two separate leaves.

BTW I cut way back on watering and nixed the misting. I wait until the soil is practically completely dry before watering.

Could this be from the soil mix being too hot?

Attached Files:

10. #10 jerry111165, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    Curious - are you on the west coast? It almost looks like powdery mildew (PM) to me, but, I have absolutely no experience with it.

Your growth looks fantastic though! Nice looking plants. How old are they now? Also, these were planted directly into a soil mix based on the thread I started and allowed to sit for 2 months - there was no sign of "burn" - correct?

Drooping went away when you eased up on watering and misting?

I'd like some input from others regarding what I think may be PM. The first 3 pictures look healthy - the last pic the leaves look a little funky. You stopped adjusting pH too - correct? Straight water?

"If you want I can list the recipe later tonight" - can you post the recipe? And no - after 2 months I firmly believe that the mix cannot be "hot" anymore. The growth looks tight and healthy besides those few odd spots...

J

11. East coast

Thanks! They are 4 weeks yesterday, from seed. I only have 2 plants that I plan on keeping. I have a third that you might be able to see in the pics but it is nowhere near as vigorous as the two keepers. I keep it as a test subject I guess.

They were started in soiless mix in nursery cube trays. Two weeks later transplanted to 50% soiless mix and 50% organic soil mix based on your thread. Two more weeks later, which brings us to my current situation I replanted them in 100% organic soil mix based on your thread. I actually made two batches of the same recipe. One batch is well over two months old and the newest one is a month old. This is my first grow so I have never seen burn first hand but the replanting didn't seem to have any negative effects besides the spots.

Within a day or two. I've been trying to keep them on the dry side. Any I don't mist.

All the pics are of the same two plants. I included the first 3 to show the overall plant, as I thought it might help to diagnose something. The last two are close ups of the two affected fan leaves. They are bottom leaves. No PH adjusted water. Room temp spring water.

Will do in a couple hours when I get back.

Thought I would add that I put the layer of sand on the top of the pots yesterday to discourage gnats or fruit flies. I had a few flying around the room. I think I brought them in since I had the load of soil mix cooking in the garage. I was catching 5 or 6 a week in yellow bowls of apple cider vinegar, water and dish soap. Didn't think it was enough to effect the plants but wanted to knock them off all the same. This morning I found a few dead ones on the shelf but none flying around the room so I think removing there food source did the job.

12. My recipe:
    I used a 5 gallon bucket
    -4 buckets of Sunshine mix
    -1 bucket of humbolt earth - Humboldt Earth | Humboldt Nutrients
    -1 bucket of EWC
    -1/2 bucket of organic humus
    -1/2 bucket of organic mushroom compost
    -5 cups shredded alfalfa cubes
    -5 cups espoma garden tone
    -4 cups neem bark meal
    -2 cups kelp meal
    -2 cups espoma greensand
    -2 cups oyster shells
    -2 cups espoma biotone
    -4 cups lava rock dust I smashed myself with a sledgehammer :confused:

I kept it moist in a 55 gallon mixer I made, similar to this one:
    Recycling and Reusing Seedling Trays and Pots in the Backyard Garden

13. How should I go about making neem tea. I have neem cake already. Is this similar to making an AACT?

14. Neem cake tea smells like SHIT
    I threw 1 cup into a bucket i dont remember how much water and let it sit for 24 hours, it smelled alright, let it sit or 48 hours, it started to bubble.

I used it on my plants and it did some real good shit. But it reaks, dont get it on your hands or clothes.

15. I was going to throw about a cup of neem cake into a 5 gallon bucket of water with a few air stones for a day or two. Then just apply directly to soil. Sound about right??

16. It's probably just your plants reaction to being placed in a new soil mix since it is 'hotter' than before. Takes a day or two for them to settle in.

17. I pretty much have chalked it up to exactly that at this point since it never progressed to any other leaves both times it has occurred. The blotches gradually turned to dead spots again but since they are lower leaves I'll probably be trimming them off eventually. I'll post a pic for reference later.

So I threw a cup of neem cake in a 5 gallon bucket of water and put a few air stones in it. Of course I walked away for ten minutes and a thick layer of froth had bubbled over all over the floor.