FIRST GROW...problem with seedling

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Legalizit, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Ahh, probably not the best choice by any means.. I'd hold off on that.. It will be ok to wait a couple days if need be.. Definitely give them the calcium though.. I'm sure that a small amount of scented Epsom salts wouldn't hurt them but in the case that I'm wrong I'd suggest just waiting on it till you get the cal mag..

2. I gave it half strength nutes and a good amount of calcium. I topped them and did a little trimming. I think they'll be fine. I can't wait to try the karma. I'm going to buy botanicare flowering nutes. What do you recommend? Hydroplex and which bloom booster?
    Post trim pics
    IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

3. Oh yeah, they'll be fine.. The hydroplex is the boost.. I'd suggest going with the pro bloom/hydroplex/karma it's a great bloom mix.. You can use your veg nutes as a base and just add those three to the mix for flower.. That should get you great results.. If you want to go with all botanicare then get the pro grow as well and use that as your base.. They have a few others as well but those are the best ones I think.. "Ginormous" by advanced is good too, almost the same as the hydroplex but lacking the amino acids.. The hydroplex gives your buds a great flavor, very natural/earthy.. It's also got sugars in it, which is a huge plus! If you remember, I'd suggested using molasses.. I still do recommend it but it's not as neccisary with the botanicare.. That's one thing I will give advanced, if your the kinda grower that likes to use basic nutes.. I.e.- nitrogen, phosphorus or Potasium by themselves and mix your own numbers or all around ferts they're awesome! There ferts are typically pretty basic and that makes it easier to understand what your mixing... But IF your like me and just wana go, a lil of this and a lil of that- abracadabra! ;) botanicare is the way to go! Plus they're cheaper lol..

4. My bad, ginormous is actually by humbolt.. Error error! Lol.. Still.. Good booster.. I know what I meant :)

5. I'm going to use botanicare for grow once my advanced nutes are gone. I'm going to buy liquid karma, cal-mag, hydroplex, and pro bloom boost. Thanks for the tips again my friend. I'm stepping up my grow after this one is done. I want to do around 9 plants. What do you recommend? I've been thinking about a flood table, or maybe a 9 bucket dwc recirculating setup. Top feed too.....I'm not sure. What do you suggest?

6. Flood tables with coco/perlite for your medium are probably the best way to go.. Coco holds the water long enough to allow your plants to soak up nutes but drys fast enough that you can feed once a day... That's what is going to make your plants grow fast and healthy. A lot of people don't understand that plants don't breathe through their leaves, they breathe through their roots.. So you want your medium to dry relatively quickly so that they get plenty of 02 but not so quickly that they don't get enough nutes. That 02 exchange is vital for healthy growth. That's why you see all these hydro guys pulling like 28" cola buds all the time. Once you understand that system it's just fine tuning it to the specific needs of the strain and youl see them blow up. soil grows, or sphagnum are a little more complicated really, water culture and aeroponics work on the same basic concept, adding oxygen to the water to allow healthy growth but flood tables eliminate the b.s. basically... They make hydro easy.. Using rock wool works too but coco will dry faster and allow you to feed more often...I've personally done an expirament where I took three clones from the same mom, rooted within tree days of each other. Transplanted one in coco, one in Rock wool and one in pro mix/perlite 70/30.. Gave them all the same nutes, same light, attention ect.. Coco beat the hell outta both.. Both the pro mix and rock wool were about even in the end with the rock wool being just a bit bigger.. But in one plant, sea of green method (3 weeks of veg, 9 weeks of flower) the coco yielded 2 oz 13grms. Where as the other two were just under 2oz dry weight... I still use pro mix only because I prefer that soil type grow method because I think it's more forgiving and the end product tastes/smokes better.. But that's a personal opinion, not fact...

7. #67 Dantastic, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    I checked out the coco, pretty sweet. How would I use it with a flood table? Do I use pots? There's so many different ways to grow in a flood table. I thought about using a lid with the table and net cups. I'm not sure. Do you think I'll be good doing 9 plants in a 3' x 3' table with my 400w? Sorry about all the questions man. I do a lot of reading, but I like hearing it from someone I know has experience. You own that spot lol.

8. Yessir 3x3=9sq feet. 1sq per plant=success.. And yeah, net pots/smart pots ect.. You could even use cheap plastic pots really, the coco drains really easily so it's pretty easy to work with.. The one time I did a flood table I used home made net pots that I put together with a laundry bag and a hot glue gun and they worked great... Roots were healthy as all get out and 12 plants produced really well.. I think my table was 3x4 and it produced almost a pound dry.. Really can't beat that.. I was really impressed by the weight.. The smoke was a little bland though.. Potent but not all that tastie.. As far as setup goes, just basically put em in a pot n drop em in the table.. Set up a reservoir for water/nutes. 30 gallons are good.. I used a 20 gal tote from Walmart I think.. Put the flood on an actual table, then the tote or res under the table.. Used clear plastic tube wrapped with electrical tape (reduce algae growth) to run from an automated pump In the res to the flood tbl, then as a drain (gravity feed) back to the res.. Set the pump on a timer to feed once a day and let her go... I built it all myself though, I didn't buy the setup.. Most expensive thing was the pump.. Pretty easy to use, didn't have to veg long at all.. Worked really well... I think I built mine for under 100$..

9. That sounds awesome. I'm going to make the switch to a flood table. Seems easier to work with compared to dwc. I'm going to go with 9 plants sog. I think my strain will work well for it. I'm not a big fan of dwc lol. Looking forward to showing you the new setup! I'm going to buy an RO system because my water is terrible. I ordered this meter
    6in1 PH PPH TDS EC CF Water Meter Hydro Pool Lab Tester Thermometer Controller | eBay
    It will be nice to use in a single res. I'm going all botanicare this time. I'm putting mine into flower tomorrow. Will post pics soon. I can't thank you enough for the help bro, you're the man.

10. Here's the post-flower pics. Any thoughts on pruning? I'm trying to take it easy as this is my first grow. I think I've done ok though. I'm not sure, but the new growth seems really light green. Is this a sign of magnesium deficiency?
    IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

11. They're doin well! Look good and healthy! And yeah il be watching for the new setup.. I definitely wana see some maturing pics as these grow man! Ive got some of those beans on the way n I wana see what I'm getting myself into.. And your welcome! Glad I could help.. That's why I joined this forum, to HELP!..It was refreshing to have someone actually listen instead of being arrogant and all "my shit is the best in the world" lol.. Get that A lot here.. If you need anything else don't hessitate to ask..

12. I just saw your second post.. I guess I don't see what your asking about? They look great! .. That light coloring in the leaves is a sign of healthy/fast growth.. The leaves aren't droopy at all.. Once that karma takes hold of em they're gona bust! I don't see anything at all to worry bout there..

13. #73 Dantastic, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    Good to hear. I was, as always, worried lol. I have a friend that grows as well, and I try to pass the knowledge you've given me on to him. But....he's "that guy" who already knows everything, though his plants look terrible. This experience has been pretty humbling. I can't wait to use the karma and bloom nutes! I've read about both, but what is the difference between hydroplex and pro bloom? Is there a ratio I should be aware of, or just follow the directions? I would like to know what your opinion is on pruning/defoliating. I'm going to flower tomorrow, and would like to know if there is something I can do to benefit my gals. To finish my bombardment of questions....I can't afford to buy the karma, hydroplex, and pro bloom for a week. Should I wait to flip them? Can I just mix the advanced bloom heavier than the grow and micro until I can pick up those nutes? I would like to wait, but I'm concerned about space. I would like to flip them asap.

14. #74 cornerstone666, Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah man, I know A LOT of people like that.. Had a friend that mooched a couple clones from me.. And I've been growing that specific strain for 5yrs from the same mom.. K, first-that should tell you something lol.. Anyhow, dude asked me what I thought he should do blah blah.. So I told him- put down on paper- black n white.. 2 months later he comes back telling me my genetics are crap.. Huh? I don't think so.. Dude didn't follow my instructions at all! He used the nutes I suggested but at like 3x the strength, he burned em with his lights, he was adding peroxide to his water for added 02.. Which works fine with water culture but it sterilizes soil so it fucks it all up.. Idk, I'm not a grow guru or anything but I've got enough experience to grow some pretty decent bud.. Il take some pics for you and p.m. Them to you sometime soon.. I don't like to post pics here anymore, I got accused once of basically posting fake pics and never did it again.. Which I shoulda taken as a compliment I guess but it pissed me off... Any how- as for your questions.. The differance between the pro bloom and the hydroplex is basically the same differance as with any other kinds of nutes, just different ingredients.. I may have posted this backwards before or something but the pro bloom ISN'T a booster.. It's like a base feed for flowering.. Or at least that's how I use it.. The hydroplex is the booster.. I like to use the pro bloom and the pro grow honestly, along with the hydroplex and the karma but that's not neccisary, it just rounds out the nutrients.. The jacks classic does the same thing really.. As far as a ratio goes, I think that they suggest 10 to 25mll per gallon pro bloom- 5 to 15ml per gall hydroplex-5 to 20 ml per gallon karma. Depending on your system/strain ect.. What I would suggest is using the mid range on that to start.. So like 15ml pr/blm 10ml hydroplex 10ml l.k... And as far as your timing issue with nutes, youl be fine.. Just buy the karma first and if you can the pro bloom and use those for the first week of flower.. The booster isn't nessicary for the first few days at least, you could probably even get away with not using it for the first 2 weeks if need be.. And as far as using your ather nutes, if you mix your veg formula heavy it will just add a lot of stuff the plant doesn't need in flower like nitrogen, ect.. It will increase the others as well but you may end up burning your plants.. So if you can only get the karma that's ok too, just use that with your other nutes at the same strength for the first week of flower.. It will be perfectly fine, then just add the others as you get them.. They do have small, quart size, bottles of all their nutes.. Their like 20$ or 25$ a bottle.. Idk if that's what you were going for but its less of an investment than say the gallons.. As far as pruning ect, it's kind of a toss up.. Personally I like rape my plants branches before flower.. Just the bud spots that sit under the canopy, no sun leaves! It makes for bigger top buds.. But never proon sun leaves unless their already dead or dying.. I say it's a toss up though because some times prooning can stress the plant and slow them down for a little bit, mixed with starting flower can really stress them.. I try to get to it a week or two before I switch em.. Damm, long winded lol..

15. #75 inhalantraptor, Aug 22, 2012
    Beautiful plants :)

16. I would love to see some pics! Thanks for the info again, as always, it's much appreciated.

17. I know it hasn't been long, but here are some pics 3 days into flower. I'm amped to see some buds! I'll be giving them some liquid karma, pro-bloom, and hydroplex on Friday.
    IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

18. Sweet man! Looking good! Starting to stretch a little, but not as much as I had expected.. I dropped mine into some Rock wool cubes 2 days ago and they're already starting to pop! I'm stoked.. I mentioned before that I'd had some trouble with the o.g. Kush not being very good so I mentioned it to the attitude guys and they sent me a free 6 pack with my order.. So I got.. 6 og kush... 5 cheesequake .... 3 critical kush .... 2 darkstar... 2 heavy duty fruity.. 2 hash plant haze.. Can't wait to see what they turn out.. Hopefully reserva privada will redeem themselves..

19. Nice! You got quite the buffet of seeds lol. Let me know how the cheesequake turns out, pretty interested to see how the subcool seeds are. I'm getting some decent stretch, but the critical kush is only expected to reach between 2' - 3' max. I'm about 4"-5" above where I topped them.