First Grow PLL's and Self Wicking Smart Pots

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Vanderlei, Apr 13, 2013.

1. First off, I should give credit where credit is due. My cab design is nearly an exact rip off of this one:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=240454

It's an attic grow with air vented from inside the house via 6" duct intake and a 190CFM inline fan (turned way down). The dimensions are 18x24x36, made out of mdf fiber board.

The lighting is a DIY reflector with 3 PLLs and a small string of deep red leds that I will turn on during flower. For veg, I'm using 2 3-6-10 bulbs (less green than standard bulbs) and one blue bulb (all output between 400-500nm). The blue bulb will be switched out for a 2700K for flower.

I also just finished a new veg chamber that will be lit by the blue PLL and 2 42W 5500K CFLs. I'll add pictures when I get that up and running.

Strains:
    2X - C-99
    1- Green Poison
    1- Blue Dream

One C-99 and the Green Poison are on day 20 (from the seed dropped in the soil). The other two are just a few days old.

Soil:
    2 parts Dr Earth Pot of Gold
    1 part FFOF
    Added Perlite and Azolite
    Will add Neem meal tomorrow

Watering:
    Using Noobwannb's self wicking smart pots seen here (works great btw):

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...annbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html

Nutrients:
    Have Fox Farm's organics on hand when I need them (Grow bid, big bloom, tiger bloom). Also been adding Superthrive occasionally.

The two smaller plants will be moved to the veg chamber when I start flowering and the other two will be transferred to 5 gallon smart pots.

The last pic is of C-99 twins. I'll probably tie down the larger one soon to keep it from dominating the smaller one.

Attached Files:

2. Update: 25 days in (from seed dropped into soil)

Training has begun on the larger plants. C-99 girl was fimmed and lst started on both of the larger plants. I also tied down the larger of the C-99 twins to encourage growth in the smaller one. I'll keep this up until hopefully, their size evens out.

Veg cab is complete. 2 42W cfl's and one 55W PLL (mounted to the lid) will light the veg cab. The younger plants will move in here when I repot the older plants. Even with 360 degrees worth of bends between the veg cab and flower, I'm getting a small amount of light leakage. I'll planning to buy some solar screen material (blocks 90% of incoming light) to put over the ends of the ducting that connects the two.

Added more pictures of the cab and light reflector. I used aluminum sheet material and bent it to shape for the reflector (a rough approximation of the AH Supply reflectors). The thinner aluminum was then mounted to a thicker piece for support. Bulbs are held in place by galvanized steel wire. I enclosed the ballast and led driver behind another piece of bent aluminum mounted to the back of the cab.

Also added an odor box. Just a simple plastic container with Ona gel on the bottom.

Attached Files:

3. Update: Day 1 of flower

Decided to switch to flower because I'm impatient and have nothing to smoke. Also didn't want the younger plants to get over grown in the veg chamber.

Blue light switched for 2700K. Replanted in 5 gallon smart pots (probably overkill). Red leds on.

You can also see the solar screen that I installed over the intake vent. This prevents light from leaking between cabs.

Growth is good. Lots of bud sites forming, especially on the C-99 plant that was fimmed.

Youngsters coming along well too.

Haven't started adding any nutes. Time to start?

Attached Files:

4. Update: 11 days into flower

Growth has really taken off. Added diy co2 to the flower chamber. Not sure if that's the reason for the growth explosion or if it's just due to the switch to flower.

Training is going well. C-99 plant has a ton of bud sites in the top 2 inches of the canopy. Green Poison has 5-6.

Plants in the veg chamber are also growing nicely.

Attached Files:

5. wow! So far so good eh! I will be doing a diy veg light with 4 55w 6500k PL-L's Your plants look awesome! I am subscribed and look forward to more updates!

6. Welcome aboard! I think you'll like the PLL's. They're the best florescent has to offer. Got any pics of your lights?

7. There all in the mail, but I would love to sharepics of them when they arrive!

8. Update: 16 days into flower

Plants have pretty much filled up the flower cab. Running out of room to train. Flowers are starting to form.

Attached Files:

9. really diggin your set up with the smart pots/pearlite wicking. I really want to try this now. Will be fallowing and eager to see your lovelies flower more. I have 1 plant in the same stage as yours!

I'll take a few "head shots" of her tomorrow and post later.

SnoxBerry ( DC ) ​

10. Thanks Snox. I'll post an update on Tuesday, but things are moving along well. It seems the stretch has pretty much ended and flowering has taken off. Pics would be great. This is my first grow so I'm always looking for some reference point of comparison. What kind of setup are you using?

11. #11 Vanderlei, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
    Update:  24 days from flip to 12/12

Flowering is coming along nicely.  The main cola of the green poison plant is definitely producing the largest bud, but it has a nice set of 6 satellite buds all sitting fat and happy a couple inches below the lights.  Training really worked out well for this plant.  Cinderella-99 is a little more all over the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was unable to check my cab for two days and unfortunately suffered some burned buds when they grew up into the lights.  Not sure how this will affect them.

[​IMG]

Leaves are starting to push up some trichromes.

[​IMG]

The veg plants are doing pretty well despite a battle with what I believe to be fungus gnats.  I've quit filling my perlite container and will let the soil dry out to help combat these little pests.  I also ordered some mosquito dunks.  I took clones from them a couple days ago (covered with the plastic bag in the pic).  I will keep these two as mother plants and will try to keep them about this size.

[​IMG]

12. Update:  32 days of 12/12

I added 8 more deep red led's this week to max out my driver.  Flowering plants are growing well.  My indica dominant plant is putting out some nice fat buds.  The sativa's buds are much smaller, but more numerous.  

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lights
    [​IMG]

13. Update: Day 48 of 12/12

Cinderella 99 is just about done (right side of the cab).  I've taken a couple tasters and even with a quick dry, the smoke is excellent.  Green poison will need a bit longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some close ups - C-99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green poison:
    [​IMG]

14. omg whata huge colas under pll light and no attention anyone ?