First Grow plans-cabinet grow-need opinions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LightningChief, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Hey everyone I've been doing a lot of research online and on the forum about stealth grows and I think I'm ready to give it a shot. I have a plan laid out and I want to get some opinions before I start chopping stuff up and spending money. I tried to find the answers to all my questions on here first, so forgive me if I ask something that has already been answered.

First off, the cabinet. I looked online at buying a stealth grow box or a pc grow case but they don't offer models with carbon filters and of course I wanted to make some changes of my own so I decided to build my own. I am going to use an unfinished cabinet I bought at the hardware store. Dimensions 30"h x 18"w x 12" d.

I am going to use white vinyl sheets on the inside walls of the cabinet to reflect the light. (I would use Mylar but it's hard to find at stores around here). I know the cabinet is rather small, but I want to use the LST method and I also plan on topping the plant at least once.

For airflow I am going to use a computer fan for the intake. I'm going to recess the fan into the side of the cabinet and seal it all off with caulk. I don't know yet which pc fan would work best/what size/how many I need. The volume of the cabinet is 2.75 cu ft. To make the cabinet itself airtight I'm going to put foam tape on the edges of the door and add magnetic closures to keep the box shut and air tight. All inside seams will be sealed with caulk. I also want to use a fan controller that plugs into the wall, rather than a pc power supply.

For the exhaust I plan to use a bathroom exhaust fan with the 4" outlet connected to a home made carbon scrubber. The fan I found runs at 50 cfm and it operates continuously and really quietly (website says .5 sones). The grill portion of the fan will be on the inside top of the cabinet with the guts on the outside attached to the carbon scrubber. I'm thinking ill build a facade around it so it isn't visible at all.
    \t
    Lighting- I originally planned on using a power strip with cfl bulbs plugged in through adapters. 4 25w bulbs in 5000k, 5500, 6000, 6500 to get a full spectrum. But today I read that hps is much better, and even has a better wattage to heat ratio than cfl's. In my smaller cabinet would cfl's or lower wattage hps work better? Power consumption is also a small concern, I don't want the roommates getting mad about the power bill but a15-20 dollar increase may go unnoticed.

This is going to be a soil grow with only one plant. Scent and sound are the main concerns, but the cabinet will be mounted on the wall of my closet where hopefully no one will be suspect anything.

I plan on posting my pics of the build after I have the plan finalized. Let me know what yall think any opinions/critiques are welcome. Thanks in advance for all the help and happy growing :smoke:.