First Grow Planning/Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Broodnath, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hello GC,

I have been a long time follower of this site, first time poster. I've been wanting to grow since I was 17 but haven't had the initiative to do it until recently (I'm now 21.) Anyway, I have a few questions but I'll start with a statement. I noticed most newbies are afraid to make mistakes on their first grow and take a very cautious approach, not spending money on good seeds, bad soils, not using nutes etc. My personality type is one that believes I can grow a large quantity of QUALITY medicine, and I don't intend to make my first grow mediocre just to "get my feet wet and learn the process." Is this foolish thinking or is anything possible given that I am constantly on this site studying and reading about the proper grow process? (and I plan on making a journal)

The second question: I come home from college at the end of April, and I wanted to get my plants started early so I can have a huge harvest at the end of grow season. (I live in Southern Cali.) I have this idea about building a veg box out of wood and having my friend take care of them for 2 months before I come home and then transplanting the young plants outdoors once I arrive on the 25th. Now here is my blueprint for the veg room:

-The grow box will be made of wood, 3 1/2 feet tall 6 feet long and 3 feet wide with some kind of reflective white (plastic?) interior

-I have no idea what this means, but 1 T5 light (or fluorescent?)

-Oh, I'm gonna be fem seeds most likely (is there any disadvantages to using feminized seeds?)

-Proper ventilation, I will be installing an intake and outtake fan, with the garage door always kept about 2 feet open

So experienced growers, what do you think about my positive outlook on my first time growing cannabis and how does my blueprint for a veg room sound? Any improvements to add or things I forgot?

Also, how much time usually does it take to tell whether the plants are male or female? will 2 months (from germination on) be time enough to tell or will I have to plant them all in soil and wait a while to see?

All input, tips and information is appreciated!

2. what kind of soil are you going to use? what size pot?

your box dimensions are horrible bro. theres not way you can veg a plant for 3 months and not have it outgrow that space, even with a T5 fixture. You also have to take into consideration the size of your pots, IE 5 gallon buckets are about 20" tall (roughly give or take a few "s) that leaves you a foot and a hld for your lights and your plant, lets say your light only takes up half a foot, that only leaves you 1 foot of verticle space.... im no genius my man but that 1 foot will come waaaaay brofre 2 months is up... some food for thaught

edit... i dont understand why your concerned about plants showing sex... im sure i read above that you will be using FEM beans... that means Feminized, meaning the plant is a female from the begining.... sexing a regular bean is a different story. some plants show pre sex early some late, some not at all... its pretty much a guessing game until you give us specific breeders and or strains.

3. Hid lighting.

grow tent.

disadvantage to fems is they sometimes have more potential to herm.

you dont need an intake fan, it can be passive, as long as you have a solid exhaust fan.

4. A T-5 is basically, a cfl before it gets twisted. 24w bulbs, about 70-80 lumens per watt, effective range measured in inches. T-5 bulbs last a lot longer and have a higher output, but they're stretched out over a larger area. All things considered, you can pack more cfl into the same area, but it's a trivial distinction considering their inefficiency.

HID is the best growlight for the money.

5. for someone who's "Not Sure" you sound pretty sure. :laughing:

I agree though man Hid is cheap better bang for the buck for sure

6. If you're moving the plants outside, and there are any pot plants within a mile, your girls are going to get knocked up. Your dimensions won't work well (need more vert) and leaving your first ever grow in some one else's hands during the first two months is a bad idea, unless he's blood, and also has growing experience. Also, leaving the garage open permanently is a huge security risk. Would definitely try to rethink the ventilation issue. I agree go big or game home, but you need to spend the money to have a legit set up with a secure controllable environment for it to pan out.

7. Ditto

8. Well, that's what my ID says :smoke:

[​IMG]

9. it's because plants need electolytes lol love that movie +rep for you if itll let me lol

10. It certainly can be done, if you start with the right setup and apply yourself. A little luck doesn't hurt either.

Your plan, however, is fundamentally flawed, you should not have a friend know about or be involved in your grow. Big problem on two levels. First, the A-#1 rule of growing is tell no one, not even your best friend. Second, it doesn't matter how determined you are if your friend is going to grow the plants for you -- everything hinges on him doing things just the way you would if you were there.

I also don't understand how you can be including T5 lighting in your plan if you don't know what it is. All in all I'd say you have a lot more reading to do.