First Grow - Need Help!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tehguyx2, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I need as much help as possible since this is my first grow.. Anyway setup is an old aquarium with foil on each side, and 2 plants.. I am using 3 x 60 wat Orsom Spot Natura.. But i just tested the medium of the plants, and it is 40C, and is very hot.. I tried opening the window to get some cold air in, but doesnt really seem to solve the problem.. Should i raise the bulbs?? Also any tips on my setup is very welcome.. Here is a picture

[​IMG]

2. #2 azgrassman, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    Okay, First off you need a fan in there. A small oscillating fan will do wonders.

Second, aluminum foil is a mistake. It reflects a lot of heat without reflecting much light. You're essentially cooking your plants with the foil. You need to invest in Panda Film or Mylar ideally. For a quick fix you could use flat white paper and you'd be better off than you would be with the foil; just get mylar or panda soon.

You're girls are starting to stretch it looks like. What kind of lights are those? They look like spot lights and not CFLs. Incandescent Spot lights are also a mistake if that's what they are. They put off a ton of heat and release light in the wrong spectrum.

You're soil looks interesting, what's it consist of?

3. Dont worry about the lights, they are made for plants, and both blue and red spectrum. I will remove the foil straight away and replace with white paper.. As far as lights are concerned should i lift them up a bit?

My medium is Leca stones with some organic mix

4. Maybe i should note the first of their lives was in a window with very little light thats probally why they strectch

5. bump, still need help! :)

6. Liftin the lights will promote stretching. Keep them as close as possible without cooking them. Place your hand palm down at tip of plant and move light till you can feel slight warmth of the lights.

4th grow(Apprentice) - BC Big Bud 1200w

7. Will try that. Any other suggestions for the heat problem? :)

8. #8 azgrassman, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    Fans and A/C are your best bet. A cheap little fan will really help but dropping it 15 degrees is a stretch...

Do you close the aquarium top or are your temps high with it open? Also what are the ambient temps outside of the aquarium?

9. Probally about 25-27 celcius :)
    - Will try and check tempeture tomorrow with new sealing, and maybe add a fan if it hasnt drop! :)

10. U might wanna look into some new lights. Get some CFLs and it would solve Ur heat problem. I've never heard or seen of anyone having success with and lights like those. They might work for plants but they won't work for Cannabis. That's why they are stretching. Cfls are cheap enuf man. Just listen to the ppl of GC and you won't go wrong. Good luck. :smoke: