First Grow - Low budget, simple, experiment grow box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Chronic Habit, Mar 25, 2010.

1. #1 Chronic Habit, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    Here's my planned grow box for my first grow, only plan on taking one plant to flowering, just as a trial run and see how it goes. Not really a 'stealth grow', my mum knows about it, and I have VERY limited space in my room, and we get random checks from the council in our flat so incase they come round it's going in this box.

[​IMG]

It's 26 inches high, 12 wide, 10 deep.

UPDATE - Still lots of work to do!

Closed box.

[​IMG]

Box so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting space for a 125W or 200W CFL (actual wattage NOT equivalent).

[​IMG]

Fan.

[​IMG]

Inside.

[​IMG]

Inside, fan, light fixture, shelf for early small plants (removable).

[​IMG]

I installed some shelve spaces as the plant grows I can adjust the shelf so it's closer to the lights, instead of moving the lights around which I found to be more complicated. Lining the whole of the inside with diamond sheeting (more reflective than mylar), will complete once I have installed a few more lights, probably around a couple of 23W CFLs, maybe 4. Still need to buy the big 125W CFL for the main socket on top but it's quite pricey so I'll buy when I can spare the cash.

Still lots to do!

2. Hey man. Really nice box I'd like to say. Looks fine for one plant. It will definitely suffice for one plant with early flower and LST. Let it veg for a week or two, you can pull it off. Also, for the fans, just get some computer fans, or you could take a little desk fan and clamp it on the top or something I'm sure. Also as for the light fixtures what you can do is wire an extension chord through a hole at the top and just get converters that go from plug to light socket. They're about $2 at home depot. Hope that helps. When you get a journal going lemme know. I wanna watch.

3. #3 Chronic Habit, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks for the advice! Appreciated.

Update some pictures of the box so far. Still need to get to work on my lights :)

4. Everythings lookin good the only thing is that those bigger CFL's are going to take up A LOT of your head room in your box if you mount it vertically. If your read this thread it also explains CFL's and why they should be horizontal

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

If you see the pic at the bottom a lot of the light will be reflective on the sides of the bulb.. Which for some reason (IMO) I feel that you won't be effectively getting the most out of your main light. Is this not changeable? I see you have your exhaust fan installed...What are you planning for intake? But all in all everything looks good keep it up:D

5. Thanks alot for the input and advice. Greatly appreciated.
    In light of your post, I doubt I'll end up using that top fixture. Although the guy at one of the only hydroponic shops in London, told me I'd have to hang it from the top down, because the bulb is too heavy for me to hang from the side without a genuine fitting, as you can see I've just basically cut a tight whole and squeezed and taped it on. I'll leave it there for the moment as there is no point in removing it. I don't have the bulb yet anyway. I'm probably going to install 4 standard light fittings around the box, although I'm still questioning where, obviously at the top of the box, no? On the back board maybe have 3 and the side have 1? The fan is already taking some place up there so no room for a light. And the highest wattage bulbs (CFL) i can find are around 20-23, 4 of these would suffice for one plant? I guess I could change it, I'd be left with a huge gap in the roof of the box but I could cover it easily. I also hope to make a makeshift reflector out of some remaining diamond sheeting that I have.

For intake I'm going to either have a passive intake at the bottom of the box, the opposite side of the fan. Or I may install another fan facing the otherway as an intake. Would another fan be much of an advantage?

Thanks again :cool:

Also I made another topic about the wiring for that main light, could you check it out if you can spare the time? http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/575234-lighting-fixture-wiring-correct-safe.html

6. Theres so many unique ways to rig CFl's (for Example: all you would need to do for one plant an old school basic extension cord (one female port) then plug a socket adapter into that then a Y adapter to that...then two more additional Y adapters/splitters...That would give you 4 bulbs total...)

To answer your ? about bulbs you would probably need 5 to be on the safer side (general rule 100w per plant 50w for each additional, since cannabis knows how to share lol ;))

The passive intake will do just fine btw

7. I can't find a Y-adapter anywhere in London, and I'd like to only use the internet as a last resort. Equipment doesn't seem to be as abundant here than it does in the US.

Passive intake = equal size to the exhaust?

8. Update:

As advised I moved my main light so it's on the side rather than hanging down to maximise efficiency. I'm going to line the rest of the box with diamond sheeting soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Liking it bruv.. DIY reflector is deep to. ahhh you gotta love the weights though haha.

10. DIY + Weights + Girlfriend = Fun times

11. i know you already built the thing, but you could've painted the inside walls like matte white as well. just saying..

12. hmm. i really like this. keep us updated on how you plan to grow, nourish the plants. (cause i want to copy your design) :)