First Grow- LEDs, Coco, Hempy Pots.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tastebud, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hello Dockennyg,
    Thanks for checking out my grow. I'm using Nutrifield coco. It's supposed to be prebuffered ready to go out of the bag. Supposedly not supposed to have cal or mag defs with this stuff. I'm not using lime. But, I am using Botanicare calmag plus as a cal/mag supplement just in case. This is my first grow so learning as I go. Just following what others have done with success. I do know that I love coco. My plants have grown very fast in it. It's easy to flush too. I plan to stick with it.

2. Quick update. Went ahead and flipped to 12/12 tonight. My plants are 10" tall now and very bushy for my little grow cab. This will give me a good reference for future grows. If at the end it looks like I could have vegged a little longer, then I'll adjust next time. I'm learning, having fun, and I get to smoke this when it's over. Who could ask for more. Peace.

3. perfect, now your thinkin like a farmer. ^5
    :smoke:

4. You rock SoCal. Thanks for the encouragement

5. :wave:Here's an update:

Thanks for following along.

Mon. 06/13/11. Day 2 of 12/12. Temp. 86. RH 50%.

Flushed each pot with 1 gallon of PH 5.8 water. Then switched to bloom nutes. Watered till run off each pot. Measurements are per 1 gallon.

GH Flora micro 4ml, grow 4ml, bloom 7 ml. Florablend 5ml, Diamond nectar 5ml, Floranectar 5ml, Calmag 5ml.

Looks like I have one runt NL. All others, NL and BM, are about equal in size. As always all comments are most welcome. Thanks for checking out my grow.

Here's current pics:

Attached Files:

6. Looks good, you'll be running out of space soon :)

7. They're looking really nice.
    You'll have nice smelly buds all over them in no time.

8. Your plants look exactly like what I hope mine turn out to. One of my Aurora's turned out to be Sativa dom tho :(

9. Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. It helps a lot.

10. Here's an update:

Day 31, Day 10 of 12/12. Temp 89. RH 48%.
    Watered with 3 gallons for all six pots. Good amount of run off in each. I like coco. It's very easy to get a good watering routine going. All measurements are per 1 gall.

GH Flora nutes- micro 4 ml, grow 2 ml, bloom 9 ml. Flora blend 5 ml, Diamond Nectar 5ml, Floranectar 5 ml, Calmag 5 ml.

I have a question. About how many days on average from starting 12/12 should I start seeing pistils? My plants are healthy and growing steadily. I'm 10 days into 12/12 with no sign of anything but new leaf growth. Typical newbie question I'm sure, but I sure would like to know what I should be looking for. Thanks to all for following along.

Here's current pics-

Attached Files:

11. Looking good, tastebud, you're doing well.

It can take up to a couple of weeks after going to 12/12 before you start seeing pistils, but it's usually a little less. Should happen at any moment.
    Ensure that you have absolutely no light leaks during the dark period.

12. Looking great. I saw some led lights at lowes the other day for 50 bucks. Looked like high power. Do you think something like that would work similar to yours?

13. Hello joekwondo. I would not recommend that you buy led lights from Lowes for growing plants. I'd stick with a light from a reputable seller that specifically handles led lights for growing. There are several brands that people have used successfully. Hydroponics Hut, Grow Led Hydro, Gotham Hydro, Magnum 357. Google em. Read grow journals. Pick the one that you like best. Any of these will be better than nongrow specific lights in my opinion. I'm using LEDs because of temp. issues where I live. It gets way hot. You may want try HPS lights if temps aren't a problem. Cheers.

14. Wardrobe. Thanks for the info on pistils. And thanks for following along. You have helped me a lot. Much appreciated. Peace.

15. Wow dude, your plants are beautiful. You blow all us noobs right out of the water.

Based on your updates it sounds like you have the discipline to take good care of them, and a good attention to detail. Il be watchen to see how they bud out I'm curios about the LEDs. I am using hps and have heat issues but after the summer it won't be a problem.

16. Hello Hodji. Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to learn and nail down a good grow style for my little grow cab. Something consistent that will give me good results. I'm not blowing anyone away IMO though. I've made plenty of mistakes and had lots of newb questions. I won't pretend to know what I'm doing on my first grow. Just read lots of grow journals and copying what has worked for others. And, taking all the help I can get from GC. There are some good people on here.

The LEDs were a necessity for me. I hope they perform well in flower. That seems to be where some fall short. We'll see. I would have gone with HPS on my first grow if I could have. Would have removed another uncertainty. But, I just may become an led lover after this. They work great in veg. If they do well in flower, I will have found the perfect lights for my setup. Peace.

17. I hear ya. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

18. Heck yes, you are doing exactly what I want to do. Hempy and LEDs. Looks fantastic so far man, I'll be watching.

19. Hello Alaska. That sounds great. I think you will like Hempy pots. I do think that my using coco has had a lot to do with the plants doing well though. You may want to use a coco/perlite mix in your Hempy pots instead of the traditional perlite/vermiculite mix. In fact, in the most recent grow journals of Hempy himself that I found, he was using coco/perlite in his Hempy pots. That's where I got the idea. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

20. #60 alaska, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks for the advise, I seen an amazing hempy grow. That's what turned me onto hempy. Guy took and auto and got half a pound of bud. That was amazing to me. And I see yours and with the LEDs ( im a big led fan ). I'm currently working on my first soil grow. Tried to grow outside here in Alaska. Lol my girls have migrated back to the green house! Outside in Alaska did not agree with them. Just to much rain for them and cold nights..
    Soon as I start my next grow I'll be doing some real research Into hempy. So I'll be here watching and commenting! Cheers