First Grow- LEDs, Coco, Hempy Pots.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tastebud, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Thanks luhv.

2. Subbed
    Check out my hemp grow, first time as well

3. Your plants are looking very healthy. You gonna top them?

4. Not sure, theyve been flowering for 6 weeks now. Is it too late? I femmed during veg, seemed to help a lot.

5. #25 tastebud, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    Jesstany,
    Yes. You read my mind. As a matter of fact, I think I need to top them right now. I'm just scared to do it. I have 5 alternating branches now and a sixth set beginning. My grow cabinet is small. I keep hearing that my plants will triple in size in flower. I'm on day 17 of veg. right now. Pretty bushy little gals already. I better go for it and top em, wait for recovery and let the side branches start filling out a little, then switch to 12/12 by about day 25? maybe of veg. Its hard to predict how big these girls will get or when is best to do this. I guess everyone has this dilemma when starting out (no experience with these strains or growing in general in my case). I think I will do it and live with the result. At the end, if it looks like I could have vegged longer, then I will next time. Very good question though. We're thinking alike.

Hello Wardrobe. If your reading this, how about giving some advice on when you top if you have time. I love what you did with that awesome plant in your most recent pic.

6. Hello Billmurray,

Thanks for checking out my thread. I would be happy to check out your grow. Put a link to it in your sig or something.

7. #27 tastebud, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    :wave:Here's an update:

Day 17 06/07/11. Temp 90. RH 44%.

Watered today with 3 gallons between all six pots. My plants are starting to drink more it appears. Used my GH flora nutes all measurements per 1 gallon. Micro 4ml. Grow 7ml, Bloom 3ml. Florablend 5 ml, Diamond Nectar 7ml, Calmag 7 ml. PH 7.0. 5ml ph down to PH 5.8. TDS 920ppm.

Raised lights to 11" from tops of pots. Plants growing very fast. Stems like redwoods. Looking healthy. Having the when to top dilemma as posted above.

Here's current pics-

Attached Files:

8. #28 BillMurrray, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Word, hopefully I'll be harvesting soon and I can post some pics

9. It sounds like you're well on top of things. Looking good.
    I top right about now, at 5 or 6 pairs of branches, then start adding hooks to the rim of the pot as soon as possible.

Don't be nervous about topping, you can't hurt the plant.
    They will appear to slow down a little after topping, but that's just because most of the energy is going into the branches.

It's pretty hard to judge exactly when to go into 12/12 to get the right sized plant. That's strain dependent. I could have let mine veg for longer.

10. I agree with Wardrobe, don't be afraid to top them, they look like they are a perect size to do it, and I recommend after you top wait till the two tops have a couple nodes on them and top them again so you get 4 solid tops. But thats just my 2 cents worth.:smoke:

11. Wardrobe,
    Thanks so much. That makes me feel better about topping. Mine are at 6 pairs of branches and I just topped them. First time, so I was very nervous. I needed that bit of reassurance. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to help me out. Some day bro, I will have the kind of success that you are enjoying right now. Your plants look outstanding. You got the gift. Thanks again. Peace.

12. SoCalCloset,
    Thanks man. I appreciate your 2 cents worth. I welcome all advice. I need it. This is my first grow and I'm learning as I go.

13. :wave:Heres an update:

Wed. 06/08 Day 18- Topped all six plants at six sets of branches.

Thurs. 06/09 Day 19- Temp. 88, RH 44%.

Watered with 3 gallons between all six pots. Watered till a good amount of run off in each. Drained run off from saucers. All measurements per 1 gallon.

Upped the strength on my nutes a little.
    GH- Micro 4 ml, Grow 7 ml, Bloom 3 ml.
    Florablend 10 ml, Diamond Nectar 10 ml, Cal Mag 10 ml.

PH 6.8. Added ph down at 4.5 ml. PH 5.8. TDS 1040ppm.

Fri. 06/10 Day 20- Raised my led lights to 10" from tops of plants.

Going to continue veg until more branching grows in.

Pics-

Attached Files:

14. Wow. Dude, those look very pretty. You think another week until you flip the switch or what?

15. Hello Jesstany,
    I'm not sure. Never done this before. When I started out, I kinda figured on about 30 days of veg. That's just going off of reading journals with similar set up to mine. I guess I'll see what they look like in a week. If they fill out some more, I think I will go ahead and flip to 12/12. I hear in flower, they will atleast double in size and maybe triple. Just trying to veg as long as possible without overcrowding my grow cab in flower. This first grow it's definitely a guess.

16. I usually don't count the days of veg I watch the plant, once they are about 12-15 inches tall I flip the lights. But I am shooting for shorter bushier plants.:smoke:

17. SoCalCloset,
    Thanks. I am going for short and bushy too. I only have about 48" of vert. space to work with. 12-15" on yours. That helps me to decide when to flip. About how tall do they usually end up when you do this?

18. It depends on the strain some stretch more than others, you figure a between 2 and 3 times as tall when finished as when in veg. so a one foot plant at flip will finish at about 2-3 feet tall. 18 inches at flip will finish roughly 3-4 feet. :smoke:

19. Very nice grow my man! Everything looking real good. A question: I see youre using cocoa coir (I am too ;) ) did you use dolomite lime in your medium? I didnt see it in your list of ingredients. But of course lime isnt a must. If youre not using it then you have ample proof! Great grow. Ive learned a lot from ya.

20. Thanks SoCal. That makes perfect sense. Will be flipping within the next few days.