First Grow: help with nutrients needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by _mulled, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ahoy grasscity
    i'm planning my first grow. its a small cupboard that i'v turned into a little SOG setup. my main growing medium is just plain potting soil. everythings hooked up but i just want to be certain i'm using the right ferts before i start the actual growing.
    this is what il be using for each stage:

Veg
    my veging stage will be 3-4 weeks with 24 hour lighting.
    i plan on mixing this shit called Bounce Back with the soil. I live in South Africa so there aren't any fertilizers specially designed to cater for marijuana's specific needs. Bounce back is high in N and P and has a decent amount of K. i'll then be using foliage spray every 10-14 days for the remainder of veg. the spray is 19(N):8(P):16(K).

Flower
    i will be flowering my babies for about 12 weeks. i dont have a lot of height in my grow so i want my plants to be small but covered in budd. My light cycle will be 14/14. I read somewhere that it promotes more budd growth then 12/12. During this stage i plan on adding bonemeal to the soil and then feeding my crop with water (no extra nutes or ferts).

So... How does this sound? any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated:D

2. #2 akhans, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010
    Your ferts for Veg seem pretty good, just only use 1/8-1/4 of what they recommend until your plants can handle a good feeding. When you say foliage spray, do you intend to spray it on your plants? That's a no-no because the water can form droplets on your plants and act as lenses that will burn the shit out of your leaves.

As for your lighting cycle, how did you manage to get 28 hours in one day? (14/14) :p Stick to 12/12, it's tried, tested, and proven :p

Also, check out this thread: http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/374679-essential-plant-nutrients.html

3. #3 resolutejc, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010

Mix your moistened potting mix (hopefully organic) with enough perlite so it doesn't clump up into a ball. This gives your plants' roots room to grow.

I grow veg/fruits indoors as well as the obvious. When I considered myself a novice, I used to think N was better when the plants were young and P was better when the plants were mature. That is not the case. Young plants prefer more P than N and K early on. More P early on helps the roots become strong. If you were growing some shit like pine trees or some other fuckin plant that doesn't flower, more N would be needed for the duration of its life cycle.

24 hours/light day does no better than 18 hours/light day. I read tons of books, websites, as well as grown successfully indoors to flowering stages. I consider myself pretty knowledgable about lighting. I use 16 on for veg. and 12 on for flowering. But honestly, 16-18 for veg is optimal. 12 for flowering.

Another tip you don't have to follow, but I suggest getting an organic fertilizer; that is, anything under 15-15-15. Just because the numbers are single digits doesn't mean your plant isn't getting everything it needs. I use 2-4-1, 4-3-3, 4-8-6... just to give you an idea. Anything more is usually wasted unless you're doing a whole fuckin acre of crops.

14 + 14 = 28... more hours than there are in a day. Sorry, but your source is wrong. 12 hours/light day perfectly suits the flowering stages of plants in actual nature. You can still fertilize with a high P nutrient solution during flowering. Anything that you read warning you not to fertilize during the flowering stage is bullshit. Bonemeal is great, but I would supplement it with a good fertilizer. Bonemeal will simply boost your P, which you need at this stage for abundant yields. Be careful not to overdose your plants with nutrients. Every 2 weeks is fine for feeding. Water every couple days. A good tip: the water and nutrient solution should be 68-71 degrees F so it doesn't shock the plants.

This is all for potting mixes by the way; hydroponics is a whole nother story.

4. resolutejc, thanks for your help man your a king. If i need lots of P for veg should i add bonemeal to the mix?
    As for my feeding during flower, im worried my babies will be under fed. the only nutrients i have available to me that seem any good are bonemeal, and this Big Bloom fert for roses. The Big Bloom is pretty much pure pottasium so i was thinking of just adding that to the bonemeal in a ratio of around 13/14. And like the bonemeal, i can only add it to the soil once. Do u think my plants will get the nutrients they need to be drooping with budd with only those two ferts?
    But thanks for all those tips and tricks
    i appreciate it

5. Sorry for the long wait. I learned what I know from experience with outdoor crops, recent indoor growing experience and from thehelpfulgardener.com forum. Join that site and you'll learn useful tips to grow plants in general, which helps with growing good weed.

You don't need lots of P for veg - like I said, that 2-4-1 neptunes harvest should be good for the first 2 weeks. Feed as directed at a weakened amount each week. Then, add a little amendment like bloodmeal to boost nitrogen. Reason being that the first 2 weeks, your plant is focused on root strength, not leaf production. When your plant is strong enough to handle the weight of new leaves, add some nitrogen. When your plant is mature, about 2 weeks before flowering, back off on the nitrogen and introduce some bone meal or higher phosphorous. Bonemeal can be added more than once. I don't use bloodmeal or bonemeal for my mix since I have a complete fertilizer line that handles everything i need, but this is an idea. Do some research on that forum I recommended in the first paragraph. Knowledge is power and you won't get the knowledge from one person on a weed forum recommending something.

6. thanks man. I just checked out thehelpfulgardener.com. There seems to be a lot of useful info on that site. And even though your recomendations aren't the only source of knowledge, they've still been helpfull. U probably saw this on my other post but my current fert scheme looks something like this
    for veg im adding a once off 3/3/3 fert to the soil and then using a liquid fert that is around 6/2/13. I wont veg my babies for any longer then 5weeks.
    Im adding bonemeal once at the begining and once midway through my flowering and then im using a liquid fert with 3/13/7
    How does this sound?
    it's pretty much the best combination of fertilizer i have acces to so please give me a good positive response:D