First Grow - Feminised ppp under t5's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by SlippySlappy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Thanks Myles, yeah this one will be going into a waterfarm. I have 3 seeds left, so would like to try a soil grow too see which works out best in my grow area. Also, my wife wants to use the waterfarm to grow some basil.... so since it's so close to spring, I told her we'll do the basil outside for now and the ppp inside.... :). Found out that there is a hydro/grow shop only 20 mins from me and they have all those frog, fox, etc.. soils that you all talk about. I think for now though I'm just going to stick with trying to grow one in the waterfarm and see what happens. Love those buds you posted!

2. Looking good... At this point, I started lowering my light towards the dome. Not much, just a half inch or so per day until you are about an inch from the dome. This seemed to minimize stretching.

Good job!

-Cheers-

3. Thanks Tap, I've been taking it out of the dome for several hours a day now and lowering the light on it. Seems to be growing this time around, so hoping it turns out okay.

Got the waterfarm setup and am running distilled water through it, to see what happens with the ph on it. One root has come out of the bottom of the rockwool now on the seedling, so probably won't be too long till I should put it in there.

4. Hi, here is an update. This seedling is about 1 week old now. There are 2 roots coming out of the bottom of the rockwool, so probably will be putting it into the waterfarm soon. Have been running the the waterfarm for the past da y or so, ph rose some at first, but after lowering it, it seems to be okay. Will check it again tomorrow before putting the seedling in.

Attached Files:

5. Good deal. Looks happy and healthy. You are smart buying feminized seeds. Out of the 7 plants I started I have had to discard 2 of my favorites that were male. I know 3 are females, just waiting on the last 2 to show.

When you get a chance, take some pictures of your main setup. I am interested in expanding my garden as I am about to take a lot more clones of the girls I do have.

-Cheers-

6. Sure thing tap, it's not much though, just the waterfarm and a flouro over it. I think I'm going to add an airstone to the waterfarm tomorrow before planting. How r your plants doing? Looked great in the last pics.

7. Here's a few pics of the seedlings. Has been sitting under the big t5 all day with a fan on it. Was going to put it into the waterfarm tonight as it has quite a few roots poking through the bottom now. But when I went to do it, I noticed the waterfarm had quite a bit of clay silt still in it from the hydroton. I've rinsed it alot already, but am doing one more soak and will hopefully get the seedling into it tomorrow night. The ph has been holding pretty steady in the waterfarm over the past 2 days of running just distilled water through it.

Attached Files:

8. looks pretty good so far, keep it up

looks better than last time :rolleyes:

9. Thanks, we'll see what happens once it goes into the waterfarm! :eek:

10. cant wait :ey:

11. whats gunna happen is your gonna go down there one day and the forest will suck you in :D hahaha. That seedling is looking so healthy this time. Keep it up man. You know what nutrient line you'll be running in the waterfarm?

12. Hey Myles, the waterfarm came with the gh flora line, so I'm planning to just try that out, using the lucas formula, which I think uses just 2 of the 3 bottles. Excludes the grow. I'll go with the method of topping off with balanced water until the full capacity (2 gallons) has been replaced, then reload with nutes. I figured since the waterfarm came with them, I'll give it a shot. Was thinking maybe starting it on some nutes this coming thursday if it's doing well in the bucket. Do you think that is too early? I'm also going to try RO water, I bought a portable RO unit, it just hooks up to the faucet and then takes an hour just to get a couple of gallons, but that should be fine for me now. Our tap water is pretty bad here, leaves rust on everything.

13. def too early for nutrients. Wait a cpl weeks before feeding. Seedlings are real sensitive to that. And when you feed her the first time use a diluted solution. :eek: The RO is a good idea, better to use it now then once problems arise

14. Thanks, I'll wait awhile for the nutes then. I'll just try to keep the ph right on it for now. Well, she is in the waterfarm now, here are some pics. My only concern now are low temps, seems to be much cooler in there, if I run the fan on it, gets down near 60 even with the light real close. So I'll probably need some kind of oscillating fan or something. Also some splashing going on, some drops are getting on the leaves, I'll try to position some hydroton to stop that. Well, we'll see how she does tonight. I probably won't be able to sleep!! :eek:

Attached Files:

15. #55 mattwood1011, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
    if only we did that, right? :rolleyes:

16. Looking good. I have been looking at those systems for keeping a mother plant in.

One thing that helped my grow was to add a submersible heater to the water tank. My water stays at about 72-73F all the time now. The air temp could be a little warmer, I'm surprised the lights don't keep it higher. Are you taking your temp readings down by the plant or just in the room?

17. Those temps were taken on the rockwool. I ended up pulling the fan further back and lowered it, temps stayed around 70 with the light just a few inches away. If I turn the fan off they start creeping up towards 80. With these t5's seems you can get really close and keep temps down with just a fan blowing across. Lights are off now, I'm leaving the drip going tonight, it's not soaking the rockwool, so it seems to be okay, we'll see tomorrow. I was going to shut the drip off at night and just let the airstone run, but we'll see how she looks tomorrow.

18. Hi all, wanted to post some pictures and see what you think of this. Does this look like overwatering? The drip had ran all night, when I went to bed the top of the rockwool was still dry, but by mid morning the top of the rockwool is pretty moist. The hydroton around it on the top is dry, but I'm sure it's wicked quite a bit up. So I have shut the drip off for now, the air stone is still running. I have the light about 3 inches away and a fan running keeping the temps around 72. The ph on the water rose some, but nothing crazy yet. Added a little ph down, will recheck later today.

Attached Files:

19. Here's another update after having the drip off for about 8-9 hours, still pretty droopy. I'm going to put the drip onto some kind of on-off schedule over the next 24 hours and see what happens. ph and temp's have been stable.

Attached Files:

20. Not in terrible shape. I would guess that they are a little over-watered right now. When I first introduced my seedlings to the hydroton garden, they were flooded about 3 times per day, for about 15 minutes. This is a different set-up than yours, so I am not sure how I would adjust for that. I just made sure the rockwool never dried out, but at the same time, had some time to allow for more oxygen to reach the roots.

Keep the updates rolling. I just entered week 3 of my flowering. I have 3 confirmed females and I am going nuts waiting for my Satori's to show sex.

-Cheers-