First grow ever : Iced Grapefruit from female seeds

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Ketaminemine, May 21, 2016.

1. Hey guys,
    This is my first time growing. In the past years I've had a lot of success with tomatoes (I always get 7-8 ft plants) and I thought the next step would be to try to grow my weed. I'm a newbie but I've made lot of research and I'm a perfectionist, so I have high expectations. Plants will be on my balcony, so they will get a lot of care. I will grow Iced grapefruit from female seeds because I heard their strains were doing good in harsher climates. I live in Quebec (Canada) so our climate get quite cold and humid in late September-early October. I will try to update this journal weekly. My seeds were sowed on April 25 and they popped the earth 2 days later, so they are now a little more than 3 weeks old. Like I said, I searched a lot on the subject but I still have a couple of questions to be answered. I posted these questions in the outdoor grow section but so far nobody answered me, so maybe someone here will. I will just copy/paste what I wrote on my other thread:

1. I plan to do LST and topping to get bushier plants. My plants are now about 9 inches tall and they will be placed outside in medium pots in about 2 days. The thing is that I'm leaving for a trip from May 26 to June 12 and I'm wondering if I should bend them before I leave or wait till I come back. When I return from my trip, they will be transplanted in 12 gallons’ containers. I'm concerned that they will be too tall and too stiff to bend properly when I come back. From what I read, I also understand that when you start to bend the plant, you have to pay attention continuously and adjust the ties often. When I’ll be away, I’ll have someone at home to water the plants and look at them to see if they’re healthy but that person will not do the LST for me. For this reason, I don’t think it’s a good idea to bend the plant before I leave.

So here is my idea. When I get back from my trip and transplant the plants, I’ll rotate the root ball at about 45 degrees so the plant will already have an angle and be shorter before I bend them. Is this a good idea? I also plan to top almost every head 1 or to 2 times before mid-July, is this ok?

2. My next question is simple and it’s about sun exposure. My spot gets direct sunlight from very early (6-7am) to about 3:30pm. I know this is ‘’enough’’ but is it good? Do you think I can have a good yield with this light schedule (considering they get everything else they need)? I'd like to get your opinions on that.

I'm open for criticism, so feel free to give me suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. I would recommend tying them down before you leave but mi 20160520_182452.jpg 20160520_182218.jpg 20160520_182212.jpg ne are bigger than yours and I just tied them over today. I think you'll be ok just be gentle and use common sense. You can always do more.

Here is a before and after. They just got transplanted into their 10 gallon homes and tied down this afternoon. As for the light, more is obviously better but 9 hours of direct light is definitely solid. I think you're just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you for the reply and nice plant! Yea maybe I'll tie down 1 or 2 plants before I leave, to experiment. I'm just wondering if I'll get a little bush when I get back or if it will only be 1 main stem with a small curve.

4. Pulling it over should promote growth in the lower nodes, so they very well may Bush out. If anything man....I would just recommend topping them now and letting them be. Then you'll have two main stems when you get back and it makes tying them down much easier, as well increased yield.

5. #5 Ketaminemine, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    I just came back from my trip and I wanted to make an update. The first picture is a picture I took on may 23, just after I started LST with the plants. The last 2 pictures were taken today. So far I'm very impressed by the growth of these plants. We had very cold weather the last week (between 10 and 15 degrees during the day) and a lot of rain. The leaves look kind of droopy but it's only because there is water all over them. Next week will be very sunny with temps in the 20s so I expect very good growth. They are still in temporary pots and they will be transplanted into 12 gallons pots in a day or two.

23-05-16.jpg 13-06-16.jpg 13-06-16-2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey guys,
    I looked closely at my girls today and I noticed some white hairs growing on two of them. Does this means that they're flowering (I hope not!)? Or are they only showing sex? The plants are still in small pots so maybe they got stressed. I was supposed to transplant them very soon in bigger containers but I wasn't too stressed about that because they are still thriving.

Attached Files:

7. looks like they're just showing you their lady parts.

I just dropped the same strain, will be watching yours :watching:

• Like Like x 1