First Grow Diary :D

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by gonzorelli777, Aug 18, 2013.

1. #1 gonzorelli777, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Hey guys! 

So I am about to embark on my first proper grow, and would like to keep a track of it so you guys can guide me along the right path! 
    I have 6 unknown seeds, not bagseed, they are from an online seed bank (was give them by a friend, I think they are from Sensi Seeds, but unsure if they are feminised sadly). In addition to these, I have 4 clones from my friend's Amnesia Haze mother, (some of you may recog my screenname from another thread where his plant was damaged by nute lockout/toxic soil and I let him use my account to ask questions).

Specs:

Grow space is my shower, 3'x3'x5' is the space i will use for the plants. Edit : now Budda grow tent 1mx1mx2m 
    Nutes - Canna Start, Canna Veg, Canna Flower
    Medium - Bio-bizz light mix (contains peat, spaghnum, perlite and some nutes already)
    Lights - 2 x Ecopal 35w 6400K CFL and 150w dual spec CFL for seedlings and clone rooting, Lumatek digital 400w HPS with diamond reflector for flower

I germ'd the seeds using paper towel method, 5 of 6 seeds sprouted, the first within a couple days, the last after 8 days. 

The first two pics here are the eldest seedlings, approx 2 weeks old from sprout, IMAG0158.jpg the next two pics are about 1 week from sprout (including a seedling with 3 cotyledons!), IMAG0157.jpg and the last pic is of the 5 of them under the CFLs, IMAG0156.jpg I have the clones rooting in Root Riot pucks, I also used Clonex when taking the cuttings.

My plan is to veg for 5 weeks and then flower, SOG perpetual after initial grow. I am sure I will ask plenty of questions!
    Any other details required? Here's to a successful grow!! Thanks in advance for all help and guidance forthcomng, look forward to hearing from you all :)

2. The seedling with 3 cotyledons had me very curious so I spent a bit of time researching it and seems it's not so uncommon, though there's a slightly elevated chance of it being male (assuming the seeds aren't feminised) IMAG0160.jpg

A quick question for anyone experienced with a medium such as the bio-bizz light mix; given that the soil contains some NPK already, have I purchased the Canna Start unnecessarily? Or shall I give the eldest seedlings some of it in like a week (when they are 3 weeks from sprout?)

3. Where will you shower? :p

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 gonzorelli777, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Hehe, I wondered how many replies it would take for someone to ask that! Well, it's not ideal, but my setup is going to be such that I can easily move things once a day to have a shower, and put them back. Def not ideal, but I really don't have any other options regarding a space lol.

5. I'd think a closet would be more ideal. What if someone opened the bathroom door, and turn the light on... in the plants 'dark time'? 

6. Sadly there is nothing resembling a closet, but I have a dark attic space next to the shower which I have already light sealed, it's just a matter of moving the plants into that area, 2 minute task so I'm OK with that. 

Has anyone had much experience with Biobizz Light mix and Canna Start together?

7. #7 gonzorelli777, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
    Day 14 from sprout

I know it's barely been 24 hrs since last pic update lol, but here's another. First 3 pics are my best sprout, 14 days, pic 3/4 is also 14 days, pics 5/6 and 7/8 (the mutant 3 cotyledon-does it look overwatered?) are 7-9 days from breaking soil, and the last pic is the setup as it is. How much longer can i get away with 70w of CFL for this as a group? I plan on getting the 400w digital MH/HPS within a week but it may take a little longer...

IMAG0162.jpg IMAG0164.jpg IMAG0165.jpg IMAG0167.jpg IMAG0168.jpg IMAG0170.jpg IMAG0171.jpg IMAG0172.jpg IMAG0173.jpg IMAG0169.jpg

8. You might get away with moving your plants in and out of a shower for a while, but think about how big the plants are going to get at maturity.  I also cant see how you are going to be able to move lights in and out of your shower space, especially an HID set-up, much less how the humidity of a shower would affect their components.  And speaking of humidity, your plants are going to freak out with the humidity swinging wildly every day, or however often you shower.  You will need light isolation for the plants to have a completely uninterrupted night cycle or you are going to have a high incidence of males and hermaphrodites.  Are you willing to completely lightproof and restrict use of your bathroom for twelve hours per day? How are you going to ventilate/filter?  These plants smell like weed when they start to flower, surprisingly enough, and when they do, your whole house/apartment will too.  The HID system will also need to be cooled and/or have the hot air exchanged.

9. #9 gonzorelli777, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
    Hi,

As I stated in the OP, I am planning to keep them small, vegging for 4 weeks max, and with that they shouldn't be monsters, I already have a separate light sealed area for them to have dark time, and I can take quick showers...I live in a single-bedroom apartment, on the top floor of a 3 apartment building and I know and get along with the other occupants, as for the bathroom it's very well ventilated.  I doubt smell will be much of an issue but I have plans for this if it does become one.

10. Day 16 update

Fed the 2 oldest and largest babies their first dose of Canna Veg 16hrs ago, about 1ml/Litre, 1/4 strength. They seem to like it!

IMAG0182.jpg IMAG0188.jpg IMAG0189.jpg IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0192.jpg IMAG0195.jpg IMAG0197.jpg

11. #12 gonzorelli777, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
    I was starting to think that was the case...I thought maybe as a beginner this might be where I should put my first journal, and the grow journal forum was for the more experienced...Is there any way to just move the entire thread?

12. They are looking good mate. I think moving the plants twice a day every day at exactly the same time every day is going to drive you crazy. No way could I do that. Your better off buying an cheap grow tent. You can get them for about £40, or even just a few 2"x1" lengths of wood to make a frame and some blackout plastic stapled on to it. You will need a carbon filter when flowering or you will smell it down the street

13. Thanks for looking in man! I am a very patient person so I really don't feel like that aspect will bother me so much, but I will give the grow tent idea some thought, it will definitely be handy the closer I get to flowering. 

Do you know how to move this thread to grow journals man? How do I get in touch with a moderator? The member list doesn't really make clear who the mods are. Or maybe I'm just too baked :D

14. #15 GoldGrower, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  15. Cheers mate, posted in there about it, hopefully get moved soon.

16. I'd recommend getting a lock for your bathroom and locking the door every day during the dark cycle.  Wouldn't want a drunk chick (assuming there are any of those in Ireland lol, and that you sometimes pick one up) going in there for any reason.  And to keep yourself out when your high and hungover/drunk and forgetful.  Also, stand inside your bathroom with the lights out.... make sure there aren't any light leaks coming underneath or around the door.

I can see moving your plants.... I'm patient too.  And I don't really feel that a 10 minute high humidity period would mess with them too badly.  But taking your lights down (ESPECIALLY once you get your HID, and the ducting that goes with that) every day will be a killer.  I'm not saying you can't, but.... for me.... the cost of the grow tent would be (or is, since I'm using a grow tent) worth it.

Good luck gonzo!

17. Thanks man! I think I might get away without ducting, as my plan for air-flow is to have 2 oscillating fans blowing air in around the base of the canopy and as the shower is open at the top, the hot air can rise out there, next to a window which faces an unused area behind my building. Any smells will drift off into the ether as I'm on the top floor. 
    Thats the plan anyway, if I have heat/exhaust issues then I'll be sure to tackle them when the time comes, I'm handy enough. :gc_rocks:

18. The number one reason people get caught is grow security. You need a carbon filter if your in an apartment complex or your neighbors will smell it. Im with whoever said to get some 2x4's and buld a box like 3x3x6 and just black it out, you can even get plywood and just build a legit box. I think even you would have to laugh if you forgot to turn your light off and took a shower and your light exploded. You can make a box for a lot less than 50 bucks and your gauranteed not to be caught because of smell. If they ask what your taking wood up there for just say your building a little stand alone closet in your bedroom to hang some clothes up.

19. #20 gonzorelli777, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
    Honestly I think as far as security goes I should be ok, my apartment is the top floor of an old converted townhouse, so it's not connected with air vents and such the way modern apartment complexes are.  I know the people in the two apartments below me quite well by now, they know I smoke pot so any smells will be nothing new to them and they certainly wouldn't report it anyway. 

On a somewhat annoying note, I acquired my mate's 300w dual spec CFL just to add a boost until I get the HID, but half of the bulb doesn't work, literally half. Maybe it got damaged in transit. As half of the filament thing's don't light, am I still using 300w of power usage while it outputs only 150w (half of the bulb), or is it only using 150w as well as outputting that much?

Day 17 pics

IMAG0198.jpg IMAG0199.jpg IMAG0202.jpg IMAG0203.jpg IMAG0204.jpg

You can see on pic 2 and 3 the lower half of the 300w CFL in the middle is facing the babies, the upper half is unlit.

First of the 4 clones showing some baby roots developing in the root riot puck too!