First Grow - Diagnosis Needed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Strange99, Nov 18, 2019.

1. I bought 4 clones 4 days ago. In the past 4 days I have spent an enormous amount of time worrying about my little ones and fine tuning my setup to get temp and humidity dialed in. Temperature is now always between 73 - 79F and Humidity is always between 40 - 72'ish. It usually stays right around 77F and 55 rH or so. But, let me back up a bit...

When I brought the clones home I put them in my tent and inspected them very closely being my first grow. I saw a long bug on the backside of one of the leaves and when I touched it, it flew away like a little moth. I took the clones back and showed them the plants and photos. They decided this might be a fungus gnat and offered to trade me clones, but they were out of the strain I wanted. They told me they could show me how to get rid of the fungus gnats before they became a problem and if anything went wrong they would still offer to replace the clones. I took them home and applied a topping of sand to each clone. I then watered them with a weak hydrogen peroxide solutions (1tsp of 3% to 4 Cups Water) which they only took about 1/3rd of at most. I was told to wait until I see new growth to transplant.

Having a hard time telling if the soil is dry because of the sand, I bought a soil moisture tester yesterday morning (day 3). It read dry and the pots were light. The plant leaves were a little droopy imo, so I watered with the recommended feeding from Emerald Harvest for seedlings (1ml of Micro, Grow and Bloom in .5 Gallon of water) of which they only drank about 1/4 of before runoff. Since then I have determined that the soil moisture meter I bought is garbage. I watered a house plant in basic potting soil and then probed it and it said it was dry. It does register completely wet when I put it in a glass of water though. These clones are in coco right now.

I am using 2 QB 288 v3 240W lights at 20" distance dimmed to 50W each. They will be transplanted into Roots Organic Original Soil when it is time.

Questions:

1) When I bought the clones one of the plants had some slight reddish-browning occurring on the serration edges of a few leaves. Over the past few days it has gotten worse on that plant, and started ever so slightly on one more. Some of the very very tip of the leaf tips are turning yellow. Am I doomed? Is this Nitrogen deficiency, Toxicity, Over-Watering, Under-Watering, Root Problems, etc...?

2) I cant really tell if there has been any new growth. I should have made better notes, but I made some mental ones that my tallest plant was a little over 6" and now seems to be about 7. The smallest plant was about 3.5" and doesn't appear to have grown. Should I keep waiting to transplant? I am considering doing it first thing tomorrow morning.

Ease my worries, brutha's and sista's! Im stressin' hard.

Photos:
    1) My setup right after bringing them home
    [​IMG]

2) Closeup on the plants right before officially starting the tent settings for the first time (ignore the Hygrometer readings)
    [​IMG]

3) The plants this morning (4th Day)
    [​IMG]

4) The small amount of discoloration I am getting
    [​IMG]

2. perhaps a ph issue?

3. I guess it's possible, however I wouldn't think that would be the issue. Im so new though it hardly matters my opinion.

From what I understand, since these are in coco there's no nutes being fed, so pH shouldn't matter much. The feeding I gave them yesterday was 6.3 pH which is at the high end of the 5.8-6.3 that Emerald Harvest recommends. Also, that discoloration has been there since day one from the grower (although it has increased a tiny bit) and he said hes been feeding nothing but water. The Peroxide watering could have caused a pH fluctuation, but it was so extremely diluted.

What does everyone else think?

4. Im not a coco grower but I think that sounds like a high ph to give coco even if youre not feeding nutes ph still should be on point

5. What should the pH be? The Cannabis Grow Bible says Cannabis should be at a Nuetral 7. Should I be aiming for something else?

6. Forsure man personally i grow in soil and always ph to 6.3 before anything goes in the soil, i dont know the exact ph on coco but i know its under 6.0, you might want to read up on the things youre specifically using not just a general grow guide my friend

7. I'm not using Coco. They are clones that I bought in coco and was told not to transplant until I see new growth. Just trying to survive until I can transplant.

8. Ok well they are currently in coco so you should probably treat em like their in coco..

• Like Like x 2
  9. So, let's assume this is a pH problem and I need to get it lower. From what I understand, the only way to do that is slowly and on future feedings. Do you think they can pull out, or this damage already done? Do you think I should still wait until I see new growth before transplanting? I'm having a hell of a time judging the water needs of these things being in sand topped coco and with a useless moisture probe.

10. Rust spots on leaves. What water are u giving is it ro from the store? It might not ya e enough calmag in it. When they filter the water it takes all of that out. I would try adding about 3-5 ml per gallon of water for both watering sand feedings and see if the new growth is still showing rust spots

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I'm using Arrowhead Spring Water because I live in an area where the water is so hard it eats through dishwashers and washing machines. So far these "rust spots" are only on 2 plants and account for maybe 5-10% of the leaves. Ill have to go pick up some CalMag and give that a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have the same issue. Water out of my tap is like white it’s so crappy. Used to give it to my regular houseplants and it burned their tips. I now fill up five five gallon jugs everyweek at the store w ro water. This is a bitch since I am in a chair. To water is dope but it’s got no calcium or mag in it. Try to add a little bit and go from there. I would star w 3 ml a gallon and if u still get rust spots on new leaves then up to four then five. Use w each watering and feeding! Questions just holler at me. Oh ya the old rust spots won’t go away but they will stop getting worse. Leave those leaves on for a report card if u will! Best of luck!

13. I appreciate the info. I agree I need to get some CalMag into my water from now on. I didn't realize how stripped of it these RO and bottled waters are. After speaking with my buddies at the local grow store, they advised me to transplant tomorrow morning.

On another note, I am starting to really see some wrinkling on the leaves. I did have to water them again yesterday, because the coco is just drying out so quickly. Theres also some folding on the edges of the leaves. Any idea whats causing this now? (Picture Below) The picture shows the wrinkling, but doesn't show how the outer 1/16" of each leaf is folding down like it is on a few of the other plants. This really shouldn't be this stressful :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

14. Since the clones are in coco, you shouldn't let them dry at all. If you're transplanting tomorrow, just keep them wet till then and they should be fine. I got that wrinkling on mine because I was letting the coco dry and then the salt content in the coco would spike when water was reintroduced...I also think it has something to do with the CalMag issue. You can use CalMag as a foliar spray and it works really well. Once you've got them in soil, your water retention will go way up and you won't have to tend to them as much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks, man! That's what I wanted to hear. My worry is all encompassing and I haven't relaxed in days, lol. I just have to be patient now.

16. Too much water. Try watering less and let the medium completely dry out. The leaves will point to the problem and right now they are saying too much water in the roots not enough air. The wrinkling is the start of root rot. Dry completely out and give some water with a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide to fight the root rot and prevent more. Best of luck!

17. Yeah man, just relax. I totally understand the worry, but it's your first grow. Just gotta do your best and try and collect all the relevant info as you go. I'm just a little ahead of you in my own first grow and the first few days were stressful and I felt clueless, but you'll get the hang of it. They're hardy plants and it's ok to to make some mistakes. They'll be alright and, if they're not, you get to try again, lol.

18. Interesting theory, why would one keep the medium constantly wet? Doesn’t this promote root rot? Don’t Experienced growers typically let the medium completely dry then re water again?

19. The clones are in coco. Doubt he's over-watering.

20. In soil, yes. In coco, it's very very hard if not impossible to over-water.