first grow, about to start flower

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Art Vandelay-Import/Export, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hey, this is my first grow. between 12"-16" tall. ive been giving them veg nutes with every change of water. do i have to flush with straight water before switching to flower nutes?
    i also havent pruned or trained anything. i have width constrictions at approx. 2'x3', but 5-6 feet of height available.
    is there anything else i should do first that will help in the long run?

thanks

2. HI Dank,

You will have some people say to flush, and others say you dont need to, so your gonna have to weigh all of the options and figure out which side of the fence you want to hang with.

I have about 6' in height to work with (less with the light) and can already see that its gonna get tight, so I went ahead and LST'd the taller tops today so I can even out the canopy and work on keeping the height down. I am only 1 week into flower, so they bend quite nicely. I would suggest you start the training now.

3. what are your thoughts on flushing? do you?
    even if they double in height i should have plenty of head room, its the width thats killing me.
    if i prune some of the smaller low branches or secondary branches that dont seem to be getting much light would that help the tops grow faster?
    can i tie the plant to itself, low on the main stem?

4. I am on my first hydro grow, so I have not decided yet. I have heard many say that you don't need the flush in Hydro like you need it in Soil. I use Advance Nutrients and their calculator shows a Flush period before harvest, so I will probably do what they recommend.

If you are having a problem with the width, then you could prune some of the lower veg, or try to Tuck them as much as you can. Pruning may require a little plant down time, but it will certainly send any energy that is no longer needs for the lower veg to the tops and all other flower spots.

Yes, you can tie the plant to just about anything.. Just dont use fishing line or anything that can cut into the plant, and keep your knots REALLY open and not too snug against the stems, so they have room to fatten up. This is Low Stress Training and requires NO real downtime for the plant to heal itself. I LST'd my last soil grow and I really think it helped with my yield.

5. cool, thanks.
    hey, one more thing. i have two unsexed plants in each bubble bucket. roots all tangled and everything. if one is male and i have to chop it, will its roots rot and hurt the other plant? what else could i do?

6. ooouu! That's a tough one.. My first thought is YES, the roots would wither, die and rot, or it might try to sprout something and grow, but I don't have enough experience with that situation to answer correctly.

Good luck with your grow!!

7. Let's hope you don't need to!
    Do your best to pull the roots apart. Any extra rotting plant matter in your bucket is a liability. Be extra nice to her when you're killing him.

Enjoy