first grow, a few questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by neonkittensx, Jun 23, 2012.

1. So I found some seeds. I have no idea what strain they are or anything. I just kind of found them sitting in the dresser. But so far I'm having luck. I do have a few questions.

When it comes to soil, I really can't be going out and getting all this fancy stuff. All I have is a compost pile, some potted plants that it couldn't hurt to steal a little soil, and some fertilizer. The soil in the pots does have perlite.. So yeah.

Also, I want to keep the plants small. I've heard of pruning, topping, lst, etc. And I'm sure There's plenty about all those on here so I will be searching. But when it comes to keeping smaller more manageable plants, what should I do?

Ok, so I'm a total noob at this and I probably sound like and idiot. But, whatever, live and learn.

2. I know exactly what your goin through dude.
    But luckily my mom had some miracle grow for her inside flowers.

But I'm pretty sure you can just go into flowering stage while it's at a short height and it doesn't get that tall. But, I'm a beginner as well.
    And I'm high.
    I feel obligated to say that

3. There's plenty on here for all your questions, searching is where you should start. Read the stickies and grow guides, you'll learn things you didn't even know you needed to know. Easy way to keep a plant short is LST. For soil you can blend a decent potting soil with compost and perlite (no "fancy stuff") and be good to go, but you should get fresh potting soil and make sure it does not have any time-released ferts in it. G'luck.

4. haha, I always feel obligated to say I'm high when I'm high. Unfortunately I'm not high.

We don't have miracle grow.. I don't think we do anyways. I forgot to check when I was downstairs getting the light bulbs. Luckily we did already have some lights I can use, which is awesome!
    But I figured I could mix some of the compost with the regular potting soil and yeah. Or something.

I'm a girl, by the way. In case you were calling me 'dude' for that reason. haha :)

5. [quote name='"neonkittensx"']haha, I always feel obligated to say I'm high when I'm high. Unfortunately I'm not high.

We don't have miracle grow.. I don't think we do anyways. I forgot to check when I was downstairs getting the light bulbs. Luckily we did already have some lights I can use, which is awesome!
    But I figured I could mix some of the compost with the regular potting soil and yeah. Or something.

I'm a girl, by the way. In case you were calling me 'dude' for that reason. haha :)[/quote]

Oh my bad haha but I took this old school double sided light socket and put a 32w cfl in my pc.

6. Ok. Yeah lst looks like it's the way to go. I'll keep doing my research though. I love doign research, I'm such a nerd. I have cfl light bulbs. My seeds have been germinating for a bit of 24 hours now and I just checked them and they're cracking now. I think I'm gonna let them do their thing for a bit longer. Is that what I should do?? ._.;

7. [quote name='"neonkittensx"']Ok. Yeah lst looks like it's the way to go. I'll keep doing my research though. I love doign research, I'm such a nerd. I have cfl light bulbs. My seeds have been germinating for a bit of 24 hours now and I just checked them and they're cracking now. I think I'm gonna let them do their thing for a bit longer. Is that what I should do?? ._.;[/quote]

If their submerged in water; you wait til they sink to the bottom. If it's the paper towel trick or something else, idk haha

8. I put them in water and they all sank in 1-2 hours. Then I moved them to a paper towel in a plastic bag and wrapped a black tshirt around them to keep it dark. And they've been like that for a little over 24 hours.

9. Yeah I would definitely plant them now lol

10. Plant them once they crack and little plant is budding out

11. Ok. So I planted them... Now to play the waiting game.

12. They should spout in a few days. just make sure the soil stays moist, but not saturated.

Here's a good general rule of of thumb. The more light, the bushier and less tall a plant will be. The less light, the taller they will be.

During flowering you can expect a plant to grow a third in size. So a 20 inch tall plant at the end of veg will become at least 30 inches tall after flowering.

If you supercrop, you won't get a massive central stem, but you will get a bushier plant, and you will also increase your total yield.

On my current grow, I used Miracle Grow potting soil, and Miracle Grow ferts. All purpose for veg, tomato for flower. Here's a couple of pics, first the last day of veg (6 plants), and the 2nd pic just shy of 4 weeks into flower (I pulled 3 plants, they were dudes)

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/uploads/552140/P10105232.JPG

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/uploads/552140/P1010598.JPG