First grow 2 plants from bagseed CFL

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by freeskierpj, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Well my very first grow did terribly as the lights fell on the plants ...I wasn't happy so I made a new light rig and this one should hold nicely so I'm starting a new journal...

Setup:

Lights-2x13w CFL (1 for each plant) 12/12 light cycle to sex
    Soil-Generic brand potting soil
    Pots-Party cups (12 fluid oz I think)
    Grow area-Inside a top drawer but I'm still thinking about expanding it to the bottom drawer by cutting out the floor of the first one maybe
    Ventilation-None (2x13w CFL don't get too hot as my temp reads around 84 lights on in mid -day)
    Seeds-1 Dank bagseed (plant A) and 1 nice mids bagseed (plant B)

Plants will be moved outside in a couple weeks or when they start to smell...

Don't have pictures of the first 16 days so here's my text

Day 1
    Seedling A sprouted and shed the seed casing

Day 2
    Seedling B sprouted and shed its seed casing

Day 5
    Both plants developed their first leaf sets

Day 9
    Second leaf sets developed and plant A's cup was filled to the first leaf set with soil but not plant B's cup (somewhat of an experiment to see what differs between the two)

Day 14
    Second leaf set developed the 2 side leaves

day 17
    Plant A
    Third leaf set is developing and the stem seems to be getting a lot stronger and a dark purple color...
    [​IMG]

Plant B
    Third leaf set is developing as well but the stem still seems lanky and weak so I might fill the dirt up to their for keeping the plant safe what do you guys suggest? It is leaning against the side of the cup because it can't hold itself up...
    [​IMG]

Pictures will be with a better camera from now on but my friend's borrowing mine today...

2. can you get a small fan on the plant? that should help them grow stronger stems and if you can figure out some venting you may be able to increase your lighting without pushing the temps up sky-high.

good luck :hello:

3. also, how far away are the lights from the plant tops? try to get them as close as possible without burning the plants, that will cure the stretching

4. Yea they started out like 5 inches from the lights and that's when they stretched but the lights are now 1 inch from the plants and heat isn't a problem and the lighting is only temporary till they go outside so I'm not worried about putting more lights on it...I may end up putting a fan in for the stems though because that would be helpful...just hope I have room for it haha...

5. Forgot to post my picture of my growbox...
    [​IMG]

Very simple, it's got a timer to keep it on 12/12 from 8:30am to 8:30pm and it's going great so far! Hope they're female...If not I'll just make some hash from the male and definately collect some pollen from the dank seed cause it was such a nice smoke...I believe it was a bag of Northern Lights but not entirely sure...

6. Also is it too early if you top the third leaf set? I kinda wanna top the third and then fim after that a lot but I'm not to sure...

7. Well I tried topping 1 plant to see how it would work today...I guess I'll see how it works but I cut off the third leaf set...would now be an ok time to start LST if the 3rd leaf set is getting a little bigger?

8. dUDE, THOSE 13 WATTERS ARE WEEEEEAK

gET SOME 27-42 WATTERS AND AS PREV. POSTER STATED A FAN OR TWO COULDN'T HURT

PEACE.

9. Don't have the space to be able to cool the 27-42 watt bulbs so I went with the 13's cause im only using it for a short while while I have em in my house...

10. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE THE SPACE TO COOL THEM??

gET A FUCKING 10 DOLLAR FAN.

11. 1. Why the caps and why are you getting angry or seeming to?
    2. Don't have the room for a fan in my growspot since it's stealth from my parents and as I said my temps don't get too hot with my lights and my lights are fine at for my purposes...
    3. Do you know anything about LSTing? If so could I start now and not harm the plant?

12. Day 19

Plant A
    [​IMG]

Plant B
    [​IMG]

Well since I topped plant B the growth has gone into the leaf set's next to the main stalk are starting to come in...

Plant A is doing great and the 3rd leaf set is coming in strong and has all 5 fingers for the leaf...

13. You seriously need more light man. Those plants are pretty damn small for 19 days old even with CFL grow.

1st you need to transplant those things into a decent size pot. A 6" will do. Bury those stems.

Then you need to take those 13w bulbs and turn them into a minimum of 23w-27w and if you can get your hands on anything higher; do it. I also would reccomend getting 2 lights on each plant from here on out to make up for lost time.

Check out my grow journal. http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/237318-first-legit-grow-100-beastly-cfl.html It is 100% CFL and my plants are exactly 21 days old in last entry. Believe me, heat wont be as much an issue as you think. I live in the desert and im able to keep temps atleast below 90 witha decent fan. I keep my central air set at 88 so not much help there. either

14. definately need more light, mine is also 100% CFL, think about constructing a grow box with reflective lighting and a fan to keep the air moving, you dont have to spend alot of money to get results!

15. Alright everyone who says I need more light, I know that it would be helpful but for the time being my plants are doing fine with the 2x13w's and they are going outside in less than a week now so they will get plenty of light out there...

16. Man these pictures are of my two cfl plants. The top plant is 20 days old in pic and bottom is 21 days old. 100% CFL.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

If you keep those plants under those light for long period of time it will eventually stunt their growth and will take them much longer to respond when you finally do add light.

17. Well I figured that the plants would be at a good time to move outside yesterday and put out plant A in my outdoor spot...I dug a hole and filled it with potting soil and placed my plant in there...I decided not to move plant B so that I could watch how its topping went and so far it looks great and the 2 growth shoots have started up and I have another set of leaves coming from the first leaf set now...

18. hey man, got quite the small setup there :) I read that you wanted to top those plants? If you do, you need to wait until they're a bit taller. I try not to top my plants until I have to. But, when I do they're usually atleast 12-16in. in height. If you plan to throw those outside and let nature do its thing I'd suggest waiting to top until its even taller than 16in. You dont want to shock your plant.

19. lol he already topped it

just be patient with the training techniwues man. the first leaves with 3 sets on them are growing in and you already topped? you need to wait a few more weeks at least. Anyways, if you are planting them outside, just do it soon...they will get more light outside than with those puny lights. Good luck with the grow;)