First electric guitar.

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by ebola weed, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Buying an Ibanez gio. Something cheap but something to learn on. I already have an acoustic I'm pretty good at but, my fender doesn't give me that RAW sound that an electric does. So, does anyone have any tips for beginning? Also getting a 15w practice amp.

2. I've always thought it better to start on acoustic, then go to electric. Better for developing the fingertips and strength for it, anyway.

Remember that you're plugged in now. An acoustic is all about projecting the sound, whereas electric is about control - muting and dampening certain strings for effect. You'll find yourself becoming a better acoustic player after your electric practice too.

3. #3 Cozmo Bozo, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
    I notice a lot of newer guitarists have a tendency to crank the gain on their amps. Avoid doing that, or you'll just get a can of bees. Very unpleasant.
    Keep the gain at a moderate level and let your fingers do the rest. Might seem counter intuitive as it seems like you are getting an electric as an alternative to the clean tones of your acoustic, but at the same time its important to play clean on an electric to develop better technique. Or else, you just have distortion covering your ass. Other then that, practice, practice, practice, and fuck what your neighbors say. Good luck!
    Oh and another thing, if you have friends that play, try to jam with them as much as you can. Get them to teach you new licks and tricks, and just escape your comfort zone as often as possible.

4. I picked it up last sunday, shes gorgeous man. all black. cheap guitar but a nice start. Ive been so busy lately because of turkey day (i work at harts). anyways. Ive been practising as much as possible, and ive noticed that it is indeed a lot more about control. cant just strum all the strings and expect the right sound to come out. Anyways, ive learned how to play MOST of Heart-shaped box by nirvana, Most of it. Im trying to perfect the solo now, but the rest was really easy and ive got that down.

any more suggestions for a beginner?

and @Cozmo, none of my friends are virtuosos, so none of them play. Lame I know man but I'm stoked that I'm already pretty good at this thing

5. Just finished practising. can hardly feel my finger tips lol. I was jamming out to Territorial Pissings. Ended up breaking my favorite pick.. Got some new ones in the mail comin' though. I don't like using the .71 MM picks cuz they dont really bend much and its hard to play fast with em. Waiting for more .5MM's.
    Anyways, I'm definitely progressing. I love this free time. I bet my neighbors hate it thogh

6. Thats pretty awesome man im subbing i want to see your progress :)!

7. Thanks dude! I would post a video but I still slip up all the time so it wouldnt be that fun to watch lol

8. Dude, I'm stoked for you! Picking up the guitar changed my life. Good to hear you're having fun with it man.

9. Thanks bro. I am too, it's so much fun. Somedays ill play for hours. You any good? I really wanna jam with someone, maybe we could Skype n play or something. I could use lessons tho too. Haha

10. Just practice every day. And when you get good enough to learn a lot of songs, start learning songs that are kinda harder to play, and practice them until you get them perfect, then keep learning harder songs. Lol it's fun and great for development.

11. Oh I do practice a lot. I fuckin love that grunge sound. Thing is I have to practice when no ones home cuz my brothers not a fan of it, yet... My mom loves hearing it though

12. I'm not too bad man, been playing for ages now. I'd offer to help with lessons, but I have no faith whatsoever in my teaching skills haha. I'm self taught so I don't have a whole lot to offer in all honesty.
    Oh yeah, if I can add one more advice, learn your pentatonic scales!

13. #13 Sunshine86, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
    Learn all of the scales.

Edit: While you're at it, memorize the notes on the fretboard.

14. Learning all the scales today! Well, trying too :p

15. Grunge is where I started when I first got serious about playing ten years ago. Played 'dem Cobain licks 'til my fingers bled.
    :metal:

16. #16 Omniusanity, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    yea sure i got some advice to a young guitarist hopefully one of your goals is to be able to communicate with other musicians from all walks of life and instruments i got a plan to set you on the right track LEARN DIATONIC HARMONY tonal music witch is 99% of music today ok here we go

1. learn the notes on your fretboard learn how to connect notes by their respected octaves and be able to visualize those octaves on all strings

2. learn the major scale all scales are derived from the major scale learn that there is only two types of keys in music today MAJOR AND MINOR THAT IS IT nothing else no phrygian no mixofuckilin no lydian ill tell you why you should not fall astray to that is because modal playing is outdated theres no more gegorian chanters back in the day there was no harmony just melody. Tonal theory explains that stuff using keys. Dorian mode is really just a minor scale with a raised 6th degree making it a major 6th meaning the 6 note of the minor scale is raised to a sharp. Mixolydian is just a major scale with a flat seventh. lydian is just a major scale with a raised 4th. Phrygian is just a minor scale with a flat 2 ok ?. So you see where i am getting at now do not pay attention to modes they do not exist anymore in tonal harmony learn the major scale and minor scale learn to harmonize them with chords.

3. Triads learn simple triads to your major and minors learn that if you take the root and 5th witch btw makes your power chord and then a minor 3rd that it makes a simple minor chord, root+5th+major 3rd of a major scale makes a major chord. Then move on to 7th chords and omg you could guess it you add in the 7th degree of a major or minor key to make a 7th chord and so on and so on. Welcome to basic chord construction of major, minor and 7th chords.

4. once you know your triads learn how to create chord progressions from them say if we are in the key of A minor well the notes are abcdefga no sharps or flats nice and clean like c major witch is the relative major of A minor but do not worry bout that now. Ok so you have the notes abcdefga and i want to create a simple 1 4 5 progression in A minor you take the notes from the scale A, D, and E use your respected traids for those 3 notes root+5th+minor 3rd for the A D and E notes of the minor scale and omg you have a nice simple 1 4 5 progression in the KEY NOT MODE of A minor NOT aeolian A minor

5. you're welcome there is a lot to learn still but music theory really is not that hard as you might think but above me is very good building blocks to get you started you just got to learn from the right sources and its out there just do not go astray from all these weird named scales like its pokemon and you got to catch them all you got to learn your major scale first inside and out everything in music is derived from that EVERYYYYYYTHINGGG.

6. PM me if you have ever any questions.

17. thanks for the feedback! I've been practiciing and practicing. both my acousitc and electric, but leaning alot towards the electric. I really wanna learn how to control the feedback I get from the amp. Like Kurt did in Frances farmer~. That would be nice to learn before i go to school.

18. I recommend learning sweep picking once you get the hang of scales. That will help make your technique flippin' amazing...

19. I'll look into it when I practice tomorrow, thank you!