First DIY Setup

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by jinda, Jul 11, 2013.

1. #1 jinda, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
    So I just sold my old car and want to invest in the gift that keeps on giving but I am a little confused as to where exactly I should start with regards to plumbing... I am purchasing 2 sets of 6 lockers and removing the inside walls which should give me four 36"(l) x 72"(h) x 18"(d) chambers I am going to try SCROGing 4-6 plants in each flowering chamber perpetually with 1 chamber for clones, 2 for flowering/veg, 1 for drying. Goal : to build this affordably and easily for the everyday smoker for less than the cost of a QP - The first step in the plumbing is my PVC pipe reservoir with an air stone inside which feeds down into my dry pump - For a true HPA setup with 6 plants (maybe 12 atomizer nozzles), will one of these pumps be sufficient/ does anyone have experience with these pumps?http://www.greatplainsupply.com/en/aquatec/560-5883-7101-b584-aquatec.htmlhttp://www.energybay.org/shurflo-8000-high-pressure-pump-12v-100psi - Pump will be connected to this solenoid via PVC/adaptorhttp://www.amazon.ca/Electric-Solenoid-Replacement-Pipelines-Applications/dp/B00BSOOBPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373551503&sr=8-2&keywords=solenoid+valve - From the solenoid to an "E" shaped PVC construct which is where my atomizers will be located -Still need to find atomizer nozzles and a solenoid timer (timer will eventually be replaced with an Arduino) any recommendations greatly appreciated. And as far as I know that's it for plumbing... Will I need any pressure guages/ a pressure switch or anything miscellaneous like that?Please let me know if there is anything plumbing related I am missing or if you could recommend a better part than one I have listed. Looking to have my full setup operational by beginning of August if all goes well and going to create a full DIY guide describing my building process. EDIT: Shit just got real! I found a 3rd locker and if I put the 3 of them together I'll have a total space of 36" x 54" x 72" so that gives me substantially more room to work with.

2. Your hardware list is missing an accumulator ;)    

3. #3 jinda, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks a lot for the reply, I knew there must be a way to keep the pump from cycling on and off every few seconds. Do you think this one will be sufficient http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-accumulator-tank/2290 ? I am also looking into a 600 watt MH/HPS light combo that's on a decent sale on Amazon, do you think that would be too hard to keep under 85 degrees in my 3x3x4.5 flowering chamber? Or should it be alright as long as I'm running a few 150cfm inline fans, my last attempt at an indoor failed because of heat and lack of ventilation but I didn't put half as much effort into it as this. I'd prefer the extra lumens of the 600 watt even if it is a little harder to keep cool as long as it's actually doableI found a pump called the Aquatec 8800 that I will be buying unless I can find a better one before I'm done hollowing out the lockers. Anybody have any comments on this pump? I'm going to be powering 10-11 nozzles but I can't find this pumps GPH anywhere

4. #5 jinda, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
    Any recommendations for a reasonably priced tank? Looking on google I can find them for about 0.5 gallon or a few hundred gallons but I can't seem to find much in between.

Edit:
    found a 20 gallon one on Amazon I am going to buy Okay, so slightly above budget... $900 spent (still well worth it for the amount of money I will be saving from not having to spend $60+ a week) and i believe I have everything needed for a true aeroponics system that is going to operate between 80 and 100PSI, now just need to decide on some nozzles, a reservoir, some root chambers, and buy the plumbing to hook everything up but that can all wait until my order from Amazon arrives so I have a better visualization of the space I am working with. I'll post back with some pictures when my order arrives and I'll keep updating from that point as I start putting everything together

I have looked into the nozzles and I am going to get either 12 or 18 of the Hydro-Atomizing Spray Jet 0.025" Orifice or Hydro-Atomizing Spray Jet 0.016" Orifice I am just not sure which would be better. I am aiming for my chambers to be about 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide and each of them will contain 2 plants I am uploading a picture of how I intend to set up the room. (the red is 1/4 inch PVC pipe and the nozzles will be at the ends of the pipe, facing the plants)

Design.png

I know real HPA setups are rare but can someone experienced please tell me if 2 nozzles be enough or should I add a 3rd? And which jet would be better for my setup? (I'm thinking the .016 for the lower flow to ensure the entire line is always at as high a PSI as possible, even if I have to run it an extra second or so to get enough water out)

5. So here are some pictures of my near complete setup, just need to some small leaks and run a few cycles of water through the system to clear out any debris and I'm good to go. Started germinating some tomatoes and cayenne peppers for a test run

Attached Files: