First CFL cabinet grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by readysetexplode, May 9, 2011.

1. haha keep them within an inch and youll be fine :)
    If it touches it burns if it doesnt it wont :smoke:

2. the plant is most susceptible to disease, famine, rape, germs, burns and STD's in between the time they have sprouted until they lose there sprout leaves. one the sprout leaves have died off we are safe.

our little buddies immune systems aren't very strong until this point. as for the lighting mah friend. mr. danky is right. 3 26w an inch er two away shouldn't burn. just don't let them touch. i found this out the hard way after a 3 day vacay to SD... :(

3. Epic fail on the sprouts, don't know what happened the only thing I can think of is that they got too dry? I don't have a temp gauge but it never really feels hot in the cab. Total bummer and waste of 20 bux. There's 3 more, I'm not sure what to do differently next time though...

It may have turned into how much of this clone can I fit in this cabinet, it still looks like a freak, but its growing like a bush! It got a watering with 2 caps full of growbig this morning and seems to grow busier and bushier everyday. I think the mylar reflector really helps throw light around the bottom of the plant. With the fan blowing right next to it, the tops grow Right up into the cfls with no burning..

Anyways I'm bummed about the sprouts and not sure where to go from here.

Attached Files:

4. Oh and the last of these... they were doin fine and then they just never grew...

Attached Files:

5. my seedling is about 8 days old now and its aurora indica as well. I was running temps 85-88 from sprout till about day 4 and it was fine. When it was a seedling I did just over 1 tbsp everyday until day 3 where I let it dry right out and then gave it 1/2 cup every 2 days(checked soil) for another 3 or 4 days. As long as your lights are there, it shouldn't dry out that way :D

6. Finally got a thermometer temps seem to stay in the 80s.
    I germinated another Aurora seed that popped last night and was planted just now, wish me better luck than on my last 2, I will be closely monitoring this one.

And the clone is doin awesome last feeding I did some supplemental foliar feeding which seems to have gone ok.

Attached Files:

7. That might be your problem... did you feed the sprouts??

2 CAPFULLS??
    a lot

8. #28 readysetexplode, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Haha, no the sprouts didn't get any nutes.

All sorts of changes right now, the pics aren't in chronological order but all in the past few days.

Featured is:

the clones growth
    A dispensary nug "godzilla"
    The newest Aurora sprout-looking much better this time
    The clone needs some LST
    The current cab setup
    the new interior layout

A few days ago I put another intake on the right-rear of the cab. Also Redid the whole lighting system moving the side strips to the very top to make room for flowering and be more efficient, and reattaching the 4 42 matters to be more sturdy and safe. All cables hooked down and the whole thing just feels better.

The only problem is that its still too hot with all lights on, which I think would be awesome, but the temp seems to soar to 100. So the cab stays on half power and hovers at 80 to 85.
    How he hell am I gonna fix this?

The new sprout is 2 days old and kicking ass so far. The clone has turned into a nice bush and should be ready to flower soon, maybe in a week? It's got 8 to 10 tops.

Any advice inputs or criticism welcomed this wouldn't be possible without all I've learned here!

Attached Files:

9. soar into the 100's?? do your pictures show only one internal fan to move air??
    i'm almost 100% positive that if you don't have an exhaust fan, pick up a 10$ axial fan, 120MM about 75CFM and your temps should almost be too cold.

~~i had a similar problem. one axial fan dropped my temp a solid 15 degrees. no joke~~

best of luck.

10. I do have one 120mm exhaust fan connected to an elbow pvc light trap its kinda ghetto rigged but. I'm workin with what I got. The fan is real nice though, 90ish CFM, and 5 different voltage speed settings. The back of this cab is cardboard, after a few grows I could make a custom wood backside that would have the whole ventilation system solidly built into it. For now ill settle with Styrofoam hot glue and duct tape.

I think it makes sense that it gets to 100 degrees when all the lights are on, that's 324 total watts, I didn't realize how much it was! How does this compare to a 150 or 250 watt HPS?
    People say the cfls don't put off much heat but mine do I guess

Attached Files:

11. looks like it coming around for you now. im actually just finishing up a headband soil grow and switching to hydro. but once u get the hang of ur soil it will become second nature. good luck

12. oh and from experience just because you mess up a few times its normal. you can ask the OG's around here and they will all tell you growing bud is a trail and error type of thing intill you find your own way to do it.

13. Hey mabe u shud consider gettn 1 high wattage cfl bulb to replace all of your current ones. That's gunna cut your temps by alot because it's not the bulb that produces heat with cfl but the ballast, and that clone looks nice as shit and it's soooo freakn bushy.
    I would say if u could then start flowering now or u might start having space issues, but either way ur shit looks healthy so keep it up

14. whoa, 324w off cfl. thats pretty impressive. lol. i suppose the most i tried to drop was right around 300 before I picked up the 150HPS. not real sure if i could tell you how they compare yet, only had it for a couple of days. but i can tell you being able to hang a few 105w cfls down the stalks your favorite colas, watching it light up with even more joy along side the HPS is very exciting. yet having an 150HPS setup would certainly set you in the 100's.

not sure of your ambient temps, but at least you have the axial fan... haha, still super warm though. i had to mess with my cabinet (when i had the cfl) for about 3 weeks to get it right, finally. (the HPS is a completely different story)

anywho, like dude said. trial and error. you've done what you can, tinker tonker, and hopefully you see success :D

(i have also found that having an axial fan pulling hot air more directly off your bulbs (literally in the lights, or at least super close to) is much more efficient in exhausting heat.)
    :smoke::wave:

15. Might be a day late and a dollar short with this advice but a i use a humidity dome until my sprouts get the second set of spiky leaves. I crispy fried one once and started using the dome after, no crunchy babies since.

16. Just have to be careful not to suffocate the seedlings.

17. I probably should have mentioned I lift the domes at least once daily.

18. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Currently working on getting more fans in the cab and constructing a smaller veg cab for my auora.

The clone is getting huge and any day now I'm gonna connect a timer and start flowering her out. A few days ago it grew over an inch overnight and got right in the lights and one leaf got pretty burnt but that's it.

Here's it 16 hours after a big watering and 3+ teaspoons of growbig, she eats that stuff up like its her job

Attached Files:

19. Flowering initiated. The clone has been transplanted to a new bigger pot, and tonight is its first 12 hours of darkness. It's now very apparent that space is going to be an issue. I guess I should do SOME LST.
    Also installed like a million new fans which do seemingly nothing. Awesome... maybe I just need central AC in this cab haha
    The sprout has been temporarily relocated to the bathroom under 2x 26w CFLs for the evenings

Pretty much everythings a mess and the clone makes me nervous :) haha

Attached Files:

20. I just want you all to know...

That everything is illuminated.

Attached Files: