First cabinet grow, have alot of questions.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mycelium, Nov 11, 2009.

1. #1 Mycelium, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    Previously I was not limited by space and did not need a cabinet, so theres a few things I have to change. The cabinet will be 2' W x 2' D x4' H, made of mdf or a similar material, and lined with panda film. This is starting as a budget grow without high expectations, just being as precise as i can with what I have at the moment, and will upgrade the cabinet and its components over time. Here are my questions:

( 1 ) LIGHTING - Previously I've used a 400w MH/HPS setup, but no longer can because of my space. CFLs are the obvious solution and I happen to already have 2x42w ~2700k (red) / 2x27w ~6500k (blue). I figured the four together would at least be enough for the plants while they are small and in their veg state. Do you think these 4 bulbs used together would be enough for a single plant during flowering as well? Should I add another 65w CFL or two, perhaps an extra 65w 6500k during veg and another 65w 2700k once flowering starts? Should I not use the 2700k bulbs at all during veg? Should I not use the ~6500k bulbs at all during flowering? I don't fully understand the best way to mix different spectrum CFLs. It seems what I have along with 1-2 new bulbs would be a nice blend, but if you can give me more input on this. Please do.

( 2 ) AIRFLOW - At first I considered using some high end p.c. fans that i already have, which output high cfm at very low db. Then I discovered online many people saying that they can pump the air through a cabinet, but can't handle the load of any filters. Is this the case with all filters? Is there a high flow form of filter that can block light, be easily acquired, and eliminate the smell of 1-2 small plants? Should I use fans for both the intake and exhaust, or could the exhaust fans possibly just serve as a vacuum pulling the air into the filter? If I use another cpu fan for the intake, maybe it would reduce the load on the exhaust fan enough to now run through a filter?

( 3 ) ODOR - Would a single high flow carbon filter or something of that sort in combination with an odor neutralizing agent take care of 1-2 plants?

( 4 ) LST/SCROG - What method do you recommend for my space, and why?

2. in a tight 2x2 using those 42 watter will give off some major heat. I have used many cfls and the 42s seem to give off major heat. I suggest using the 400 so you can air cool the light. HIDs and CFLs will give off equal heat watt for watt, sometimes the cfl gives off more. I love CFLs don't get me wrong, but they are hard to work with. I almost find that the 6500k 26 watters are actually pretty cool in comparison to their counterparts in 2700k.

In an open area with an autoflower strain go for it, enclosed in a 2x2x5, use something you can aircool. Hell you will even get better flowers from it.
    Just my 2cents

3. stay away from the pc fans and invest around a $80 for a 4" dayton blower and a get a CAN33 carbon filter to go with it, or something else in a carbon filter that can handle 100cfm. I had a single little plant in flower and made the mistake of not having a carbon filter and it smelled up the whole 3 story home during venting times, no good. A good carbon filter is worth it's weight in gold, and the can 33 weighs around 20lbs.

4. as for lst or scrg, that will be up to you, those would be the methods i would choose for a cabinet that small.:smoking:

5. #5 Mycelium, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    I can't have the noise which a blower or my ballast would produce. Also, there is no room for the airflow system which would be needed for a 400w mh/hps. CFLs are my only option right now. 4x 55w 2700k CFLs should be good for flowering a single LST grown plant and definitely would be alot cooler then the 400w hps, right? As much as I'd like maximum yield, I've got alot of limitations to work with right now. A small plant is better then no plant :p