Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First Bho run ever! Did I do it correctly??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ptg420, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hello all, I am new to this site and also new to the concept and production of Bho, I have been reading forums, and watching videos for the past couple weeks and decided that yesterday was going to be the day to give it a whirl. So I invited over a couple of buddies we gathered together all of the supplies and got to work,we did 2 separate runs for each batch, and our results are as follows. Please read, any and all advice would be much appreciated!

First Batch: supplies
    I used Colibri Premium butane, A mini glass extraction tube, and unbleached coffee filters, and blasted into a pyrex dish. We used 4 grams of high quality popcorn nug sized BC buds.

I packed the tube gently with the popcorn nugs trying not to cram them in there to hard, you could tell that there was still lots of open space in the tube but I didn't want to over pack it. We blasted into the pyrex sitting in a warm water bath, I used a full can of tane but the entire time it was dripping out the other end CLEAR, after the full can and what looked like little to no oil in the dish I was beginning to give up hope. We let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and then started popping all the bubbles, and this point we could tell there was a bit in there. After about another 5-10 minutes we had the bubbles popped and took the dish inside to begin scraping. We found that it cooled down very quick and became rock hard like a rock candy or something making it near impossible to scrape. We re-heated the dish with a heat gun and removed the rest of the oil, again it almost instantly turned rock hard on the parchment paper. We were able to recover .40 of a gram of some very light brown honey colored oil.

For the 2nd run I remover all of the popcorn buds from the extraction tube and cut them into little bits and repacked the tube, this time I packed it much firmer with less space. Ran through a half can a tane using the same method as above, and was left with .15 of a gram of oil that was darker than the first run, we also whipped the oil slightly during the bubble popping process.

In total we recovered .55 of a gram of oil from 4 grams of high grade buds, which is about 14%. Didnt really seem like much to me, and I was wondering if I did something wrong to contribute to this figure. Any advice would be appreciated. Now onto the 2nd batch

2nd Batch:

For the 2nd batch we used all of the same supplies as out first batch, the only difference was the amount of product used and its consistency, we used 5 grams of new buds and also the 4 grams of leftovers from the last run just to keep the tube as packed as possible. I put the new stuff in first and the old stuff 2nd, it packed the tube all the way to the rim fairly tight. This time we placed our hot water bath onto a flat top grill to keep the water in the bath slightly warmer than our first batch but not bubbling or boiling at all, streaming slightly. Ran through half a can of tane and almost instantly I could see that the liquid being extracted was slightly green in color, we let it evaporate for about 15 then started popping the bubbles and scraping it out. We came out with .61 grams of a gewy green oil, but it still hardens almost instantly after heat is removed. We then re ran the tube without making any changes using another half can of tane. This only yielded us .20 more of a slightly darker oil. Again it dosnt seem like a huge yield, but I dont have any experience so im not really sure. On the fresh buds in this tube we recovered 16.49% but when you add the older buds into that mix it works out to about 11% recovered.

Once I had the oil onto parchment paper I put in in the freezer to cool for about 30mins then put it in a small glass dish and heated it with the heat gun trying to see if I could purge off any more butane, no bubbles, then I got a dab and held the lighter close, no bubbles, so we packed a bowl and threw a big dab on top. When I lit the bowl the oil lit up sort of like hash does sometimes so when I stopped inhaling there was a little mini flame coming from it. Just wondering if that means there is still butane in my oil, or if that is normal. We had a couple more dabs that night and it seemed my first one had the biggest flame up. I assumed that since my run was so small compared to all the others I have researched that I may not need to do as much purging as you would with a big batch? Is that correct or am I wrong?

Ok that is my rant over, thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read it and hopefully you can help me out with some advice, tips or criticism im all ears to hear anything that might help me in my next extraction. If there is anything blatantly wrong with what I did or anything I did exceptionally well please let me know. Also if anyone wants to see pictures I think I took a few so let me know and I can post them up, and if there is anything I left out please let me know, thanks again everyone, just trying to expand my knowledge on the subject!:smoke::smoke: :smoke::wave:

2. Also the product that was left in the extractor tube still looks very much the same as it did when I put in in the tube, it looks like a bunch of the thc crystal was pushed up right against the coffee filters (I used two). Just wondering if I should try running some butane through it agian and see what happens, I guess it couldn't hurt other than loosing half a can of butane. What should I do?

3. I've been doing this based on trial and error for about 3 years now. The biggest hindrance in quantity of oil is based on two factors once you have a specified amount of bud. These factors are consistency of material and quantity of butane, Ive found that you have to pretty much powder the buds to get the best results. I usually run about 3 cans per extraction, and my tube holds about 10-13 grams finely ground.

I always use one single coffee filter, and i run all my butane in one sitting.

When it comes to it lighting on fire, its not supposed to do that. What you want is for it to melt, unless you're topping a bud and then once its melted into said bud, it can in theory use the bud as a wick to light a flame. but by itself, there should NEVER be a flare up when you touch flame to BHO. You need to vac purge, or whip it into a budder at least 3-6 times in order to make it right.

this is just from my experience and making it for myself and 2 other patients, and a yield of 15-30% is average, since end result is based on % of cannabinoids in said plant matter.

4. [quote name='"funkydslr"']I've been doing this based on trial and error for about 3 years now. The biggest hindrance in quantity of oil is based on two factors once you have a specified amount of bud. These factors are consistency of material and quantity of butane, Ive found that you have to pretty much powder the buds and get the best results. I usually run about 3 cans per extraction, and my tube holds about 10-13 grams finely ground.

I always use one single coffee filter, and i run all my butane in one sitting.

When it comes to it lighting on fire, its not supposed to do that. What you want is for it to melt, unless you're topping a bud and then once its melted into said bud, it can in theory use the bud as a wick to light a flame. but by itself, there should NEVER be a flare up when you touch flame to BHO. You need to vac purge, or whip it into a budder at least 3-6 times in order to make it right.

this is just from my experience and making it for myself and 2 other patients, and a yield of 15-30% is average, since end result is based on % of cannabinoids in said plant matter.[/quote]

Sounds like your using a lot more butane then is needed for that little material

5. Thanks for the advice funkydslr

It sounds like I didn't use enough butane and also didn't grind up my material enough, oops. Next time I will follow your advice and use more than one can of butane and also grind the material into a powder, think I will stick with two filters though because I would hate for it to have a blow out. I know that the the material I was using was of fairly high quality, so that cant be the issue.

When I had the flame up it was with a bowl of herb in the bong with a few dabs on top of the herb, I will have to try another dab on some ashes later and see if it still flames up.

How would you recommend to whip it up? I have it sitting in the sun covered up right now. I also have 3 different small portions, should I just mix them all together then try to whip it all up at once?

Think I am gonna go run the last of my butane (half a can) through the extractor again and see what comes out.....results to follow!

6. Bubbles420

How much would you recommend for roughly 10 grams of material? I don't know how much you guys pay but it wasn't cheap where I got it for this first time so it would be nice not to be wasting any! Thanks for your input.

7. #7 Bubbles42O, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    I've never made it my self but will be soon, but from what I've read the rule of thumb is a can per oz. I cant remember if it was just for trim but I do know using 3 cans for 10gs is a little overkill.

For the guy that used that much how long did it take you to purge?

I'd just use a half can because your just shy of a half oz. I'd do like 2 or 3 runs though instead of one.

8. Whenever I make BHO I normally use about 1 can for ~15grams of bud. I found using a single coffee filter will result in a higher yield, but it might make it a little bit longer to purge. As for your tube I would pack it fairly tight, but not to stuffed so the butane can run through.

9. Thanks for the advice I will put it to use next time I run a batch. How fine do you grind your material? What do you do for a secondary purge to get rid of the remaining butane after you have scraped up all your oil?

10. I don't grind mine up to much, I cut it up until its small popcorn like nugs. I do it like this because I've been told that doing it with ground up bud will result in a higher yield, but the quality won't be as high.

Personally I use a hand pump to vacuum purge the rest of the butane out, but you can always whip it using a paperclip or something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ya those vacuum pumps look like they would be the ticket for a perfect purge, I might have to look into finding a deal on one in the future. What I did was mix all of my yields together inside my containment dish then heated with the heat gun making sure not to get it to hot. I heated and mixed the oil for about 20 minutes, I could see some small bubbles forming and then eventually popping. Now I am letting it cool back down to room temp, hopefully all the butane is removed, if not I will try heating and mixing again. Thanks for the tips, now i've got lots of good advice to improve my method and hopefully my yield next time.

12. It should light on fire if you're lighting it, however you're a lot better off vaping the stuff off a nail or pad.

Again, it SHOULD light on fire.

Running a half ounce with 1/2 can will yield higher than an ounce with a full can, in terms of %. The pack is really important for yield. Don't grind it up.

Lots of people use 1 hour of purging per gram, as a general rule.

13. Ya im really new to bho and oil in general so I dont have a nail or any of those fancy devices, just a nice glass bong or papers for now.

How would you recommend doing the purge for someone without a vac?

14. Here are a few pics of the oil I extracted, the one on parchment is the oil right after the scrape and the other two are after I did the purge using a heat gun.

Attached Files:

15. Sounds like you were purging fine, you don't need to vac purge, just try to purge for 1 hour per gram of yield and the warm water bath is fine while popping butane bubbles, there can be other bubbles that aren't butane, I stopped dealing with BHO and I was never a bigger maker of the stuff so I don't know if I can really describe the difference between a butane bubble and one that is just terps and such.

You did use way too much butane though, I think that's the only step you really messed up from your descriptions. Sounds like you're doing fine.

16. Ok thanks, im going to try some more of it out tonight and see how it goes. As far as the amount of butane to use, how much would you say for a tube that holds about 10g of material. It was the next person to comment on the thread that said they use 3 cans of butane for their extraction, the most I used was one full can in one extraction, then about a half a can in the next, I think the 2nd time around worked just as well if not better with only half the can, but thats just what I think after only 2 attempts.

17. You're gonna want to fill that tube also, that should help with yield, but packing it lightly is fine, you don't want it tight but you don't want much space. For 10grams I would use a little less than half a can. Your stuff looks good it's maybe a bit oily because you used so much tane but it's a small amount and you'll get your tech down quickly so it's not a worry, as long as it's not tasting of tane or sparking or anything you should be good enough on this batch, lots of people overpurge too so there's two sides of that issue.

18. Ive read to go until the butane comes out the other end clear.

19. Like another poster said you probably don't have to do any fancy techniques to purge your oil, but you can always use a paper clip and whip it. You whip oil by running a paperclip through your oil to help purge it; normally this method creates budder.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhKzQZBuUw]How to make Budder - YouTube[/ame]

Probably like a half can of butane. I normally stop running butane through it once I see clear butane coming out.

20. You don't want to whip if you can help it, you're just degrading stuff you want. Budder is unstable, it's not like something to shoot for when making BHO. Budder has just become popular because it's easy to use.