First BB - Leave air on 24/7 ??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by cannibo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Just getting started with first BB grow. A question I have had, but not seen answered relates to the air pump... should it always be on, even in flowering?

tia, Bo :rolleyes:

2. YES! The air bubbles keep the roots oxygenated!

3. Thanks R3 - that's what I thought, but started to wonder...

4. What kind of setup are you running?! Come by my grow and take a look at what I have...

I was quite confused at first but have it all down now...

5. R3, yeah, pretty interesting, all the details, and lots to learn at once for me. Your setup looks good, how are your plants doing?

I have 2-5gal buckets and 3-2 gal, with 6" net pots on all. Since the goal is a perpetual (legal) grow, with limited plants, etc, the plants are sequenced through stages. Since the nutes are customized for each stage of growth, I can't see how a common rez system would work for me. My cuttings go in a Daisey Cloner(the little 8 hole one) under a 24w fluorescent strip - rootings go into 2 gal bucket under 600w cfl - when roots are big, to the 5 gal bucket, flowering under 90w LED UFO.

My buckets are primitive, with no holes or plumbing. I cut a little slot in the rim at the top for the air lines, then inspect & maintain under green light. I cut a reflective mylar circle and hide the hydroton from any light, and tape it down, silver tape 2X (white buckets, unfortunately). Also, I cut cardboard circle and tape it to the bottom of the bucket.

When solution is less than a week old, I rotate it through a water filter(1 micron cartridge type) by pumping from bucket-to-bucket, dumping dirty solution from grow buckets, filter and top off ppm/ph, and fill next bucket, repeat till done. Like, an hour of work that takes me 2 1/2 :smoke: ...every day... I may have found the most labor intensive way to grow :eek: but it's a labor of love, ya?

In 2 cabinets the total light is 2 UFO's, 2 300w CFL, 2 125w CFL, and the little strip.

6. I hear ya brother, one of my girls is a week behind so have been nute burned the whole time, one is growing soo fast, the other 2 look normal. Hope all is well on your end, sounds like fun :)

7. It's solar powered. Had to buy more solar panels to stay even...LOL! Irony is that the sun is shining just outside the door.... how's that? Get a little high and imagine outside bubble buckets. There's no better than the sun, ya?