First bag bean grow...Help needed, please!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Dr. Who, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Okay blades and bladies, here's the skinny. I have some issues with my first grow that to me are...well, hard for me (the extremely inexperienced) to nail down as a single problem. So I'm pulling all the stops by asking for your assistance...Please. If you need any other specifics, by all means ask!
    -Roughly a month from seed.
    -18-24 hours under 175w 15k MH
    -Started in jiffy peat pellets, to Dank-o's starter soil recipe, now in 1.5g containers with a lighter amended peat mix.

Lets get this ball rolling towards the problem/problems and solution.
    Thanks to everyone in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 InTheGarden, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
    Hey pete.
    There could be other things going on, but a quick glance tells me that #s 1,2, and 3 are overwatering, overwatering, and overwatering. I'm not familiar with the starter mix you're using, would you mind posting it or linking to it? We'll get you straightened out!

edit: do you have blood meal or anything like that in your mix? I ask because it looks like some of those tips have nutrient burn. Did you allow the soil to sit for a couple weeks before planting in it?

3. They look like clones that havent really "taken" yet?

4. #4 fayn2madness, Sep 30, 2012
    you're just dribbling water in there to dampen them. soak those suckers down and let them dry out a week or so then do it again. Once the new growth starts pumping they will use the water faster.

Also Sean is right, I often have clones look like that when they first go in. Wet them down get the light close but not hot. Blow a good fan on them without them flapping in the wind. In one week or 10 days you will never know they looked like that.:smoke::smoke:;)

also that soil needs aeration/perlite badly. The plant isn't getting what it needs from measured application of water and poor drainage or aeration. Wet them well before correcting your soil issue.

5. ^yep, there's something that's not right with your watering/drainage. Something's off with the soil and its ability to drain. I agree that it needs aeration badly. 1 month old seedlings should look much healthier and hardier than those (but you know this and that's why you've posted here :)). Tell us what you've got in your soil mix and about how often/how much you are watering.

6. ITG: First and foremost...Thank you!
    -The starter mix I tried to imulate closely.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/817774-dank-oh-zees-starter-mix-guide-early-growth.html

-Mix that the plants are currently suffering in. :(
    There is a minute amount of amendments (maybe 2Tbls of the following: Dr. Earth's Alfalfa, kelp, srp, fish, and fish bone meal. Neem from Neem, Neem Oil, Karanja Oil, Neem & Karanja products. Nepetune's crab shell, a couple handfuls of Agrowinn's grd, and some course 1-1.5mm aragonite. 2c of dolomite lime, and plant tone. Medium and small Diatomite Medium Diatomite as well as medium and small Medium Stalite mixed with vermiculite, rice hulls, and floor dry 30%. Agrowinn's ewc, mushroom compost *poor choice imo* 30%. Premier peat moss 50%. I'm probably missing some items :() in the the total cubic foot of soil. The soil "cooked" for approximately 3 weeks in a rubbermaid container with decent amount of aerating, and a loosely fitted lid.

All waterings have ceased. :(

I hang my head in shame...

7. SD, fayn:
    They are seeds???
    Even worse news I suppose?

8. -Neem oil/Pro-tect per recommended dose for 1gal of ro water, and a shot of original dawn dish soap. Mostly a spray application thought.

-BoiAg's FulHumix per recommended dose for 1gal of ro water

-Straight ro water with a tsp of organic blue agave per 1gal.

:(Too often obviously.

9. Think your soil is to hot for the size of your girls. Can you transplant back to the starter soil. You have all the amendments looks like, but they arent ready for that yet. jmo

10. [​IMG]

11. Hey pete. Your soil mix sounds decent but I think there are some issues. Why are you using such a small amount of amendments? One month old plants need more nutrition than that. For comparison, I recently started a seed for a new mother plant. After 2.5 weeks in a starter mix I transplanted into my soil mix (1/3 peat, 1/3 compost/ewc, 1/3 perlite + about 2.5 cups of total amendments (alfalfa meal, kelp meal, crab meal, some tomato tone), glacial rock dust, and 1 cup lime) (per cubic foot). This soil mix has "cooked" for at least a month. My seedling is happy and healthy in this soil like all my others, it's not too "hot" for them.

I use perlite as my aeration amendment because it's the cheapest thing I can get locally, so I'm not familiar with using all the different mineral rocks as aeration amendments. Something I'm noticing though is the aragonite plus 2 cups of dolomite lime per cubic foot (that's a lot of lime btw, next time keep it to about 1 cup per cubic foot). Aragonite is calcium carbonate (like limestone, which is actually largely comprised of calcite and aragonite) and is used as a pH stabilizer like lime. You could potentially have some issues going on because you have inadvertently added an excessive amount of liming agent. I think watering is a problem, but I've also got a feeling that something is off in your soil, be it pH or excessive calcium locking out other elements. Like fay said, I'd get some perlite in that mix.

I really think that you should take the mix you have, cut it with extra peat, compost/ewc, and perlite, add extra nutritional amendments (to about 2 cups total per cubic foot), and let it cook for a couple weeks. Cut it 1:1, so take 1 cubic foot of your mix and add another cubic foot of a peat/compost or ewc/perlite mix. Don't add more liming agents, you've got more than enough already. Set aside some of this "diluted" soil and transplant your girls into it immediately. Top dress them with some kelp meal and ewc. (this way you get the girls into a better soil asap).

Now take the rest of the "diluted" soil and add nutritional amendments so that you have about 2-3 cups of total amendments per cubic foot of soil. Add glacial rock dust or granite dust to the tune of 4 cups per cubic foot. Let this mix sit for 3-4 weeks and then transplant the girls into it (if you don't add any alfalfa meal (other than the alfalfa meal in the plant tone) and hit it with an ACT to get the nutrient cycling started, you can probably transplant them into this soil in 2 weeks).

There's nothing wrong with the additives you're using in your water, what I'm concerned with is how often you're watering. How frequently do you water? Every day, every other day, etc?

12. Take your ugliest one and pop her out of the pot and gently pull the dirt back and tell us what you got. Take photos of the dirt the roots and stem and the whole pile. Let's have a look see an examination of what's going on. I know though absolutely that dirt needs perlite for that young of a plant, in fact they need to be in solo cups getting root bound and getting used to being fed little by little til they are ready for the full dosage.

Pop one and show us what's underneath and spread the dirt a bit so we can see the make up. I am also betting you are going to find dry patches in the pot of dirt if not I want to see how wet it is underneath and have a good look at the way the roots are traveling through the dirt, if you can catch a shot of it. If dirt is clinging to the roots I want to see that too. I often get young plants like that cause I have so much going on a lot of times they are on their own, grow or not I don't care. It's not hard to straighten out.

13. ITG:
    I'm new, so I was going foward with the mindset that its easier to add than remove. I have a base mix just sitting that I was going to add the full mix of amendments to this week so that it has time to cook off so to speak. I will take heed to the masses and increase the amount of aeration. I never have been good at ratio's

14. I hear ya, that's a very good mindset to have! They aren't old enough to be suffering badly from a lack of nutrition, your compost/ewc is still taking care of them, so that's not really the problem. Have you already added dolomite lime to the base mix? Is there aragonite in the base mix? Because I think the excess of liming agents is causing a big issue in the soil (other then the lack of aeration and watering issues). It's good that you're going to have some new soil cooking. Go ahead and transplant them into the base soil once you add the perlite but before you add the amendments. Your watering is off, but there's also something funky happening in that soil they're in, and I bet you it's due to the soil having about 3x the amount of liming agent you need.

Take a pic of the roots, soil, etc. like fay said and let us check it out. Also, you still haven't told me how often you're watering?

15. To be completely honest I'm not positive it was 2c of the lime ITG. Unfortunately I have a short memory.

16. That's okay. Just keep in mind that your aragonite acts as a liming agent as well. Go ahead and get them into soil with some more perlite. Top dress it with kelp meal and ewc and they should turn around. One more time, how often are you watering? On average, are you watering every day, every other day, what?

17. Hey it happens pete. Think a transplant will help the most. Been there when using MG organic on my 1st grow. They looked alot like yours. Just try to be easy on your roots.

18. Hey pistolpete, those seedlings are in a mix that they can't handle right now. Like Fayn2 said, plants that size should be in starter cups at this point. That is classic nute burn/root suffocation. Also, if you use mushroom compost in a container mix, make sure it's no more than 2 to 4% of the total volume. HTH. p.s., if you want to save them, you can transplant them into 1 gallon containers with a basic soilless mix and no nutes. Once they are re-established then topdress a little.

19. #19 Dr. Who, Sep 30, 2012
    Watering schedule isn't really a schedule at all really. Basically, I water when the pots feel like they are a noticeable amount lighter. I'll hit up the hydro store tomorrow for some perlite, I guess...
    Just thought the aeration mixture I put together would work. Could I just increase the amount?

Thank you!

20. I'm going to transplant them.
    I've got some more bag beans germinating atm. Should I remove the smaller stemmed plants to make room for the possibility that the now germing seeds may produce a couple better sized "keepers"? I don't plan on cloning anything yet, just want some thick stems to start out with.