firs growing attempt - dont wanna screw anything up

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tehmunchies, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Ok so im going to grow a plant in an empty file cabinet

What all do i need for a decent plant? Links would be perfect and when to water and feed, etc.

never grown anything in my entire life, not even flowers, so ill need you to not use technical terms if you could. thanks.

2. no ones gonna respond?

3. Growing is a learning experience, you are going to screw things up the first few times and
    that's fine. Just keep learning and adjusting your technique until you've got it mastered.

The essential things plants need are light, water, space and security (due to the prohibition)
    Also important are air flow, temperature and nutrients.

Here's a simple, low cost, effective hydroponic setup that's hard to get wrong:

Get a big plastic tray to stand the pots in, fill the pots with hydroponic media and make sure the big tray doesn't run out of hydroponic solution, you don't need too much solution in the tray though, 1/2 inch or so deep is enough - you don't want to make the pots float. You'll only need to remember to add solution to it once every few days, don't let it dry out. The solution will be drawn in through the bottom of the pots and the plants will always be happy. Hang a fan close to the light (just below it) with the fan blowing air away from the plants, this'll stop them getting too hot. And raise the light as the plants grow.

Nature will take care of the rest. :D

4. Everthing you need to know is here. Click on search and do some studying before you end up in jail.

5. oh thanks, so when do i water it? i heard that its good to starve the roots so that when u DO water the plant they stretch out and seek out the water making the roots bigger and stronger

also, how big do plants usually get and is there a way to make a small size one? im growing in the bigger bottom drawer of a file cabinet sooo... yeah.

6. letting the soil get dry between waterings is a good technique when you'll growing in soil, but it doesn't apply when you're growing hydro.

With hydro there's no soil, the plants are growing in water, that's why it's called hydroponics.
    There's also another way of growing called aeroponics where the plant is grown in air. The roots literally have nothing around them but air, they're kept wet with mist.

Anyway, with hydro you don't let them get dry, so in my simple technique you just make sure the big tray always has solution in it. You don't water the solution into each pot, the pots draw it up from the big tray through the holes in the bottom of the pots. All you have to do is make sure the tray they're sitting in doesn't run out of solution.

The height plants reach depends on the strain. Some strains are better for indoor and some for outdoor. The indoor ones usually don't grow as big as the outdoor ones.

You're growing in the bottom draw of a file cabinet?
    ..how much total height do you have?

There is a technique were you train them to grow along the surface of the soil by pinning the stems down onto it, the plants don't grow nearly as high if you do that.

Will you have sufficient ventilation in the bottom draw of your file cabinet?

7. ok so lemme get this straight, u fill a pot that has HOLES in the bottom with WATER.. and u drop a seed in it? That makes no sense, wouldnt the water just run out of the holes?? And u just drop a seed in it??

Yeah i think ill have good sufficient ventilation, i can put a novelty clip on fan in there that runs off batteries and stick it in there when my moms not home (hate living at home)

open the drawer a lil bit and let air flow.

and i have about a foot n a half

8. if you dont understand what Amsterdam is talking about, you definitely need to just start reading here. you found the site, now use your mouse to click around for a few more hours and you will know everything to start asking decent/intelligent questions.

start with the "Sticky's" at the top of the Indoor Growing thread, as well as Absolute Beginner's thread.

9. a foot and a half will not be sufficient.

10. how abotu instead of critisizing u answer my questions.. thatd be much more helpful than someone telling me i dont know what im talking about,

and a foot and a half wouldnt be sufficiant at all? what if i dwarfed it like whoever said?

11. ok bud, firstly forget growing hydro thats not the way for beginners mate
    grow in soil ,organic soil ;)

problem you really have is your cabinet mate foot & 1/2 can you not get say a chest of drawers or a tall filing cabinet?

cannot grow weed in 18 inches ,cause with pots in & light you'll be left with roughly 6-8 inches from top of pots too your light so you really dont have enough space bud.

1.chest of drawers
    2.wardrobe
    3.large filing cabinet

and your in;)

ps; your dwarf method is scrog but even that would be impossible,you need bigger cabinets etc

hope this helps bud. you'll get there we all gotta start somewhere even these so called experts:rolleyes:

12. its obvious you have to read more, you even said "give me links." all i did was tell you where the links were, and to go look at them yourself.

13. not quite, the pot will be filled with hydro media (not solution). Here's a few different types, I've used clay pellets with a lot of success. The hydro media draws the solution up from the bottom of the pot via capillary action.

I never start off the seeds in there, I actually just put them between a couple of sheets of moist paper towels, it's easy to keep moist and gives the seeds good contact with the water. As soon as they sprout I transfer them to the hydro media.

A foot and a half isn't enough height. Can you modify the file cabinet so it looks unchanged from the outside but you get the height of two draws to grow in?

I started with soil but you have to water every pot and watch them carefully for drying out or too much moisture. The hydro technique I described takes care of all the pots, you only have to watch the level of the hydro solution in the big tray. If you do that the plants are never over or under watered. Easy. :D

EDIT:
    Here this might help: http://www.420source.com/post/9