Fired for smoking Maryjane at work

Discussion in 'General' started by stonercharm, Feb 26, 2011.

1. so i was fired this morning for smoking at work.
    i generally don't smoke at work and if i feel the need to be high i just smoke before or after, but last night (after i was already cut from the floor and just waiting on some silverware to finish washing to roll and get out of there) i went out to smoke a cig with a buddy who works there as well. he surprised me by pulling out a little one hitter and asked if i wanted to smoke, so of course my dumbass says yes. we smoke, go back inside and finish our work and leave.

apparently one of the other servers there (who tattles on everybody for anything and seems to have a problem with me) somehow realizes we are high, tells the managers that we didn't go out and smoke cigs, that we were high and smelt like marijuana and proceeded to talk about how we smoke at work (even though this was the first time actually at work) bla bla bla for the rest of the night.

so this morning i go in to open the restaurant, they wait untill i have opened the entire restaurant and then sit me down and asks if i know what this is about.

i say no

she tells me that a server told them that i told said server i smoked last night (which i did not tell anybody let alone the server who told on us )

that the whole place smelled like marijuana ( which it did not, nobody even commented on it the night before and a majority of the servers smoke and would have commented on being left out)

and that they have video of us smoking something white out back. one were around the corner out of view of the camera two my buddies one hitter is blue and three i smoke parliaments which are all white cigs

we denied it all and
    we asked to see the video, but the refused to show us.

and proceeded to fire us

my real question is
    what should i say on job applications
    how should i go about explaining why i was fired
    even though they have no proof
    should i just be honest and say i smoked wile i was off the floor but still on the premises, that its a decision i regret and one i wont be repeating, that i hope this wont effect my opportunity for employment and that i believe i can be a strong asset to the company and provide exceptional customer service

or will they hold this against me

and should i lie about it?

2. how did the server realize you were high if he didnt see you smoking/smell weed and yall didnt talk about it

3. When filing out an app don't even use them as a reference, and say you weren't fired.

4. Either don't put that employer on applications, or lie and say there was a conflict with your school schedule and you couldn't work the hours they wanted or something.

5. well i had conversations with her in the past about marijuana so she knew i smoked
    but other then that i have no idea of how she knew that night

i kinda need to list this experience as this was my first restaurant job( before i was in call centers) and i had been there over a year

im trying to get a slightly nice serving job
    and most of the restaurants im applying to need at least a years serving experience

6. firstly! Sorry it's a long post =D just figured I could give my pennies. Just listen to Cypress Hill while you read!

I think they fired you out of principle or the fact "it says in the books" you have to be fired if caught drinking/doing "drugs" at work.

On future apps, if your adding this one to your resume that is... just don't put why you were fired. Don't go saying "Yeah i got fired for smoking weed at work" it doesn't matter if they can prove or not, this just brings so much distrust in you already. They are hearing any of the following: "I'm a pothead, i will smoke at work." "I wont have motivation, communication skills, intellect, etc" you were fired because you smoked at work. there is no other story :mad:

If they are really interested in you, and they do call this boss, they may question you about it and if you present yourself maturely and don't dis your old work, it should work out. Everyone has smoked weed, so be real and personable (but not real personable.. that's too much). IF they still have problems tell em to a background check (if that's okay lol) and a drug test. Usually restaurants don't drug test unless it's a hotel... i mean comon! chefs = stoners.

Anywho... They will hold it against you, so don't go chasin waterfalls.. what?

If you have enough experience for your next job, don't even put this restaurant on your resume/past experience.

chyeah! good luck man : ) don't sweat it.

just a story o mine: I didn't really start smoking a lot until about 2 years ago. Cool thing was, after work my boss would smoke me and the head chef up all the time : )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQ0CyZpmZo&feature=fvst]YouTube - CYPRESS HILL I WANNA GET HIGH LYRICS[/ame]

7. If they can't prove you smoked then I believe it would be slander for them to tell a potential employer that's why they fired you. If they didn't show proof to you, I doubt they have it.

You quit, so that you could pursue school or some better job that evaporated before you could start it. (Just don't tell the unemployment office that!)

8. wrongful termination anyone...?

no evidence of said incident, only a waitress bitch who says blaa which doesnt mean shit.

9. ^ haha good luck with that one...

10. Better start looking for another job instead of telling us about it.

11. I once or twice smoked weed on a shift, however none during when my boss was also working. The only reason I did it was because my boss knows I smoke weed and doesn't care, and because I had co-workers who wouldnt get me fired. I honestly won't do it anymore because it's dumb and i'd rather wait until I am off work to enjoy my herb.

12. it would have been wrongful termination if he hadn't smoked..

but the fact of the matter is you got high while someone else was paying you to work for them. This is your fault, not your friends not the waitress bitch not your managers yours.

You smoked on the clock bro, its not smart to do that.

Honestly i have talked TO my manager about smoking weed and we both do it (im 18 and hes 19) but we would never blaze on the clock.

So now take that employer off your resume entirely. It wouldn't look good.

13. So what should i say during the interview about me being fired, because im sure there going to ask

they can go ahead and do a background check, ive never been in trouble. im a full time straight A college student and have been working full time for over 3 years

14. When you're filling out your app, put this place down. Just put down the phone number of a specific manager who will bend the truth a little for you and tell them in advance what you're doing.

15. File an Unlawful Termination claim. Fuck tha PO-lice