Finding a New Job

Discussion in 'General' started by DiGits, Feb 4, 2009.

1. I've been working at the same place now for about 2 years, and I hate it. I'm working at a local small restaurant and the only reason I got the job was being my moms friend started it, and needed help. She sold it, and now has a new owner, and I can't wait to leave.

My problem is that every job I've had in the past I've gotten because I knew the owner. Lately I've been looking for a new job, but it just seems like I'm doing something wrong, no ones calling me back.

I've applied to about 5 big stores around here (I'd assume they're constantly hiring, and firing because they have so many employees), a few of them even had "now hiring" signs up, and still do.

I handed in my application, and resume to the desk where I got the applications.

I have a good resume, employment history, and I'm available to work basically any day, at any time.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting unlucky? Someone told me to ask for the manager, and personally hand them my resume. I don't know, if I'm just applying for part time that seems like a little much... I'd feel like I'm wasting the managers time.

Sorry for the kind of stupid problem, but I'm desperate to find a new job... I hate the one I have now.

2. I have had the same problem. You need to call THEM. You are looking for a job more than they are trying to hire, especially in this economy. Let them know you want the job by showing up in person and asking about it or calling them and asking about it. It won't hurt anything and if they aren't hiring they will tell you, if they are you should land a job. Also, you gotta apply to more than 5 places, try 25. The more places, the better your chances. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

3. You write very well, so I doubt that "seeming like a dumbass" is the issue.

You should absolutely be calling to follow up if it's one of those deals where you hand paperwork to someone who isn't the decision maker. (Unless you are explicitly told not to call, obviously.)

It shows precisely the qualities that every single organization in the world wants in its employees: you're comfortable talking to people, you're interested in their organization, and you take steps to get things done instead of leaving them to chance. Don't worry about wasting the manager's time -- it's unlikely that anything is more important to him/her than hiring and retaining good workers.

Just a few thoughts here:

1. Are you over-qualified for these jobs? (E.g., you have advanced degrees in particle physics but are applying to Best Buy?)

2. How's the appearance? Tattoos? Long hair? Piercings? Bad breath or B/O? Weird facial hair? These are all perfectly normal things, but they do affect how employers think of you.

3. Is there anything that would give them the impression that you won't be around in six months? They won't want to invest time/energy in training you if you're going to turn around and ditch them when school starts back up.

If I were you, I'd pick one place where I really wanted to work and communicate this (and your reasons) to them. Real, authentic enthusiasm is very difficult to fake, it's incredibly compelling to most people, and it'll keep you happier in the long run.

4. Like the previous poster said you need to call them back!! I had to call the places I applied for many times and probably got on there nerves until I finally got the interview and then finally the job! My dad told me that many people are also applying for the job and they are going to give it to whoever wants it the most...so call them and see if they have gotten a chance to look at your application. Good Luck! :)