Final Fantasy VIII

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Hello there!, May 12, 2011.

1. #21 chocobo, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    Don't let the graphics deter you. They are some of the best you will play. Because they couldn't focus on graphics, they made sure you're getting many many hours of fantastic story and play. You'll love them. Just pretend it's 1994 and these are some of the best graphics you've ever seen.

2. I hated part 8.

I played half way thru the game and the story line got so bad and made no sense so I sold it to a friend.

I loved 7 and 9 though......

I also liked how they came out with the classic FF3 on PS1, I still have those games sitting around my house somewhere.......

3. IV - VII are my favourites. IX was good too.:smoke:

4. I played ff7 so much that the time on my $hit said 99:99
    I was so hooked, the story line is soooo good
    I was so happy when I finally got out of Midgar the first time I played lol

5. I probably put more time in to Tactics and X. I don't remember by time on Tactics, but on X it was around 120 hours. I was trying to complete the sphere grid for every character. It got old fast, but I was able to finish Tidus, Wakka, Rikku, and Auron. I rarely used Yuna, Kamari, or Lulu.

6. tbh i thought X was the start of the ff series going downhill.

7. I can agree with that (despite it still being one of my favorites). That's when it became a little less strategic and more just mash the x button until you beat the enemy.

However, it had Blitzball, which I would say was the very best mini game in a Final Fantasy game. The card game in VIII came close, but nothing can replace Blitzball for me. It's like underwater rugby/soccer.

8. The Gold Saucer games were my favourites, espescially chocobo racing. The breeding thing was fun too.
    Personally I thought Blitzball was just an annoying waste of time after the first couple of games, but I kind of liked the card games in VIII and IX.
    The Al Bhed language thing was sort of cool too.:smoke:

9. I've never understood all the hate for FF8. I frickin loved that game, and put so many hours into it. It was the first final fantasy I ever played, so I'm sure that makes me biased towards it, but that game is great. The story is sweet, the cutscenes had some amazing graphics, and the weapons (gunblades) were badass as hell. And the soundtrack is incredible. That game got me to like RPGs, which is still my favorite genre of games.

I think the reason most people didnt like it was because the junctioning system was super complicated. If you knew how to use you could have an almost invincible party, but it was a pain to get the hang of.

10. ff8 = best

if you dispute this your opinion is invalid

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3duFYCcho&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - FF7 Aeris Death Scene[/ame]

I was like :eek: she just died with all my materia

12. HAHA. I laughed so hard because I know that situation all to well. At least you get smart a second time through. Before that part comes along in the game you make sure to strip of anything good.

13. I never even bothered using her since I knew she wouldn't be around for too long

14. Seems to be that everyone I meet that says that also say it's their favourite.
    The first I played was VII. I'd say it's my favourite, though I preffer the story of VI.
    Also, it's the story and 'realism' that I don't like about VIII. Granted it's still over the top fantasy, but something about it's 'normal' compared to the others. The junction system, drawing and fucked up levelling basically turned it into the worlds easiest RPG.
    Personally I find the gunblade to be one of the stupidest ideas for a weapon ever. You've just sliced someone in half, what's the point of shooting 'em too? lol
    Chrono Trigger or Earthbound wins all.

15. Surpases 7 in every way, although the junction sytem makes the game laughably easy.
    But I still feel dissapointed because it isn't as good as Baldur's Gate 2.

16. I remember I was completely stunned when this happened. A video game has never shocked me as much ever again.

7's story was just incredible and they made every character in the game so relate-able. It's like a felt a strong emotional connection with them, so when they were in trouble in the game I felt like I was in trouble too. By far one of my favourite games.

8 was alllllright at best. The opening scene was godly though. 9 was pretty good, I just didn't like how it was all set in medieval times. 10 was pretty cool because it was the first spoken-word audio in the FF series, but everything felt so linear. X-2 was awful. I didn't play 11 or 12, but 13 was reaaaaally good. Really close to 7. I didn't get to beat it though because my brother moved out and took it with him :(

17. I have to disagree with your statement about XIII. It was just terrible. All it felt like the whole time I was playing it was press forward on the joystick and hit the A button until you killed your enemy. It was like playing a bad hack and slash rpg that tried to be more clever than it really was.

18. 8 wasn't that good... may actually be my least favorite out of all the final fantasy's i've played.

(And i've played pretty much all of them before X)

By no means am i saying it was a bad game, just not my favorite of the series.

6 was my favorite :)

19. :eek:
    But... it was shit...

20. Ya I agree with the holding forward thing.

Ever since FFX came out they all seemed like they all have that "forward" motion where you are kind of forced to follow a path to the end of the game. I assume the future FF's will be like that too.