FIM pruning

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by CatManDoo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Thinking about trying it. Just wondering if it will extend date to harvest. In other words, does it initially slow growth or does it actually stimulate faster overall growth?

2. #2 p_snickers, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    you should really only do any fimming/topping during vegetative growth. It will, in general, extend the veg time a little bit but flowering will happen in the same amount of time. it'll take a few days and dthen growth will resume

FIM is kind of fun...tried it once and got 3 mains out of it...really cool

3. Ya that's what I meant 'the overall schedule to expected harvest date' :eek: but I know it's tough to break it down to an exact date.

Does it increase yield or just break it up into separate colas?

4. i was wonderin the same thing!...

5. Its suppose to slightly increase yield, don't expect double or more.

Hypothetically if your main cola grew a 2oz bud and you could go back in time to FIM the main, you should get around 1.15 to 1.25oz per bud and end up with lets say 2.5oz total

Some people don't like to stress a plant by cutting it, I did a grow of 8 plants side by side and 3 was FIM and 3 Topped and 2 left to grow untouched. The difference was not much to speak of and actually stunted the growth of the stressed plants by a few days and they finished smaller in size then the untouched plants.

IMO I wont ever cut a plant's main cola again. I will prune lower branches so the upper branches get more growth attention from the plant

Just my 2 cents:smoke:

6. in my experience, FIM'ing will help bush out the plant considerably when done early in veg (4-5 weeks) but I've never done it later than that. I did it to 5 plants, and only 1 turned out female, so I dont have anything to compare it to, but it grew 2 HUGE colas. I've never had any plants that I havent topped or pruned, so I dont know what leaving alone does.

7. It increase you especially if they are planted outside in dirt

8. I fim'd both my skunk#1 plants, they responded really nicely, and have not only gained top colas, but bushed out as well.

9. I never top! I always fim... Works great!