Filtration Design

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Heironimus Josh, Jan 13, 2007.

1. I've got just about all of the pieces to erect a damn fine grow closet but I need to look into some filtration options. It is absolutely imperative that I squelch most or all of the smell that my exhaust fan is going to be spewing out my window and into the city. I've heard a little about activated carbon filtering but I haven't found a good (and inexpensive) place to find them. Furthermore, I haven't seen a build up on tying one into the ventilation system. I've heard that in the exhaust line, the filter should be before the fan, so instead of forcing the air through the filter, it draws it thru:

direction of airflow-->[cabinet]=====>{filter}====>(fan)======>[shroud/window]. I plan on using articulating metal tubing like for clothes dryer exhaust and the construction plans of my closet inherently eliminate light.

The exhaust comes out the side of the cab, turns laterally 90* toward the back, another 90* lateral turn around the back, a 40* vertical turn and then a 90* lateral turn toward the shroud in the window. Needless to say, light shouldn't be an issue, although I do plan on painting the inside flat black as much as I can. Now, I can foresee two inherent design flaws:

1. I plan on using a 5" 12v "pc" fan. Is the fan going to have sufficient power to pull the air through the turns and a filter? There are several turns but the piping itself will only be about 3' long.

2. Is that flexible dryer tubing air tight? If it's not than it simply won't work. My physics degree tells me that the only way I'm going to effectively utilize the filter is by creating a vacuum that forces the air through it. If dryer tubing isn't airtight, The fan will simply draw the air out of any opening in the tube.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right and this is most assuredly a question for the seasoned grower or one with similar experience. I have schematics if that would help any. Any help would be much appreciated. I would love to offer any assistance I can in exchange. Heiro

2. 9 views, no replies. Tough question I suppose. I'm just going to have to do more research.

3. the dryer tubeing is air tight i know. but that pc fan isn't gonna be nearly enough to pull air through all that tubing plus a filter. you'll need at least one, maybe two 6" inline fans (how long is that ducting going to be total?) for good results. most of the horticultural inlines are very pricey ($50-$100+) but homedepot has them go to www.homedepot.com and do a keyword search on "inductor", as thats the brand of them. they're in the $30 price range, and for the money they are great fans. i run two of them, and they work as good today as when they were installed. good luck bro.

4. How did you design your inline to accommodate the 6" fan. All of the dryer tubing I've seen is 100m or 4"? Also, my friend, are you running an inline filter. I've heard several people mention a 100m carbon filter, but I can't seem to find them on the internet. Thanks for the help! Heiro

5. no, no filter for me. and i cut two 6" holes in the back of my cab with a dremel. one at the bottom for intake and one at the top for exhaust. i run the exhaust fan on a timer, 1/2 hour on 1/2 hour off for as long as the light is on, otherwise the temps dip into the 60's! so two 6" fans for me is overkill, but better to have too much then too little, also this summer when it's hot in my room i'll need the exhaust on full time.

6. 210X2 pics 006.jpg Ihave a 8" inline duct fan from home depot it is on the inside pulling air through the T you see in the picture, I bought a carbon home air filter in the hvac section at a Lowes, home depot didnt have it? I cut it in to circles to hold in 3 jugs of activated carbon bought from a pet store, I poured all three in to the T and it fits all 3 in there perfect, that was about $24 dollars. I purchased a 8" to 6" reducer connected it to my fan, then I connected the carbon T to the fan and there you have it. I also did a little silicone on the open seams on the metal pieces they arent air tight so make sure to put a bead around the open seams. On the backside I have the air directed out of the room with 8" flexible ducting with a Air wick time dispenser with ozium in the sprayer instead of the smelly crap that comes with it.

7. does that work good?

8. so far it works great, it still has enough suction to pull all the sweet smell from the plant and when it comes out into my room you dont smell a thing, I also have a generic Ionic Pro in the room, which works great.