Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Fibromyalgia and MMJ

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by mons cannabi, May 20, 2011.

1. Due to a typo my thread was deleted yesterday for "underage usage". I completely understand GC and here is the revised version which I hope you won't delete.

Hi. I'm 18 and have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and my doctor says I may have vasculitis as well. The pain, and fatigue have been crippling. Every month is worse than the last, and it came to the point where I had to be home schooled 1/2 way through my Senior year. I used to march for miles in ROTC, now I have trouble walking up the stairs or getting in/out of a chair.

The nausea has done a number on me as well. I've lost 20lbs since the beginning of it all, and being 5'11" and roughly 11l lbs. Eating food is a struggle, I have to fight to keep what small amount of food I can stand to eat down. Life has become a living hell. My doctor prescribed me Tramadol which just barely makes walking bearable. I live in FL which has the most draconian laws for cannabis, which forces me into hiding my unfortunately non-daily therapy sessions with my brother (without whom I'd be in much worse shape). I want to move to NM which has some of the best weather for fibromyalgia and is a MMJ state. Any advice/ encouragement helps. Thank you

2. Bump-Please someone answer.

3. It sounds like you definitely need to prepare to move to a MMJ state so that you can live a life that's worth living. I am not sure what better advice I can give other than telling you what you already know, that without the MMJ your life in FL will only get worse, and you shouldn't have to live like a criminal just to have the quality of life you deserve.

4. I certainly know how you feel and suffer in the same manner with the exception of not wanting to eat, hell I wish I didn't want to eat:D but I'm improving in that area too since I also have hypothyroidism.

What works for me, getting rest and trying not to push myself too much and avoiding stress and of course my mj. I'm in the north so I still suffer w/ the cold so I live pretty much like a hermit. One day I'll move down south but only to a legalized mj state that I hope will be Florida. I wish I could move now but want to move once I achieve a degree. I live in government subsidized housing which in NYC can be awful in some areas but my apartment isn't as bad as others and the same w/ my neighborhood, so I know moving to some areas in the states the classes are more distinctively divided and living among some of the other poor people is a pain in the a$$ especially suffering from Fibro.

I also take suppliments to help. Sorry I don't have much more than that to help other than obviously using mj but it sounds like you're on the right road. Also try everything that relaxes you like hobbies, aroma therapy, gardening whatever you like or can do.

5. If you move to FL try moving as close to the sunny sandy beaches as you can. But if you're pain is effected by weather, ours changes ALOT. But if that's what you want to do go for it. I've been watching this mmj bill in FL and it's progress. I'm remaining hopeful, but it could be a few years before FL turns green.

6. Yeah, living as close to the sunny sandy beaches is my aim but it appears $$$ gets you closer to those nice beaches.lol I can only hope and pray my financial situation improves so that I'll have that opportunity. I love the water and the beaches. I do plan to move as close to a beach as possible in a nice neighborhood.

As long as I'm in a warm climate it's all good.

As far as the mmj being legalized in FL, I'm thinking by the time I would finish school then FL may have it approved -- I hope.:smoke:

P.S. There are a few other Fibro sufferers here so you might have to wait a little bit for them to see the thread and give their input too.

7. Gardening is a good idea (not that outdoor type, to much hard and heavy work).
    A small hydro set up is very cheap, very very cheap if you have enough sun light coming inside. I was growing my own veggies using a couple of NFT trays, ate fresh veggies daily, all year round.;)

While you wait to move (if you do), start to educate your local and state reps on mmj. Storm Crow has a sticky above full of good info. If they pay attention to the facts (vs the prohibition propaganda), and see the 'pro' evidence is overwhelming, you may get mmj in your state.:wave:

8. How about you try making a stand? People have taken on the government about medical marijuana and won. If you did so, you could help not only yourself but the marijuana movement in general. I think it's something you should seriously consider.

9. Are you interested in Spanish? You may want to brush up on it or even take a course or two, because in South Florida some places require you to know Eng/Espaniol to get a job.

It would be great to talk to someone else with FM on here. The only people I know with it are my parents, and they are about as close minded- Reagan Child as it gets.

10. I plan to submit my signature to the PUFFM group, and call my local reps. and tell them about how mmj here in FL would not only help myself but so many others as well. 7 people a day die here in FL from prescription pain pills. I also found a website where MDs put up their studies and there is ALOT of positive info on medical cannabis. If you go to the link you can type in all sorts of things related to mmj in the search box. For instance, I found a page on how one specific cannabinoid kills breast cancer. I've been for medical cannabis for years now, but it became personal when I started to need it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed.

11. idk much about New Mexico mmj laws since i'm in Cali, but i CAN relate to the Fibro. Diagnosed @ 34 myself. Indicas help me most and the indica waxes give me 6-8 hours of near complete pain/fatigue relief.

12. Know that you are not alone. I am a two time loser in the obscure neurological disease category with both Fibro and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The RSD has been a "gateway" disease, causing peripheral vascular disease, osteo-arthritis, osteoporosis, GERD, high blood pressure (increasing my interocular pressure, too), and IBS with probable diverticulitis. I am wheelchair bound and require a great deal of care/help even with daily activities like bathing and getting dressed.
    One thing that has made this all even slightly bearable is Lyrica. Please, please look into it. Not Neurontin (evil stuff!), LYRICA.
    I had to move from the Pacific Northwest to the Arizona desert. This, too improved my quality of life. The hot and dry just feels SOOO much better than the cold and wet. Get away from that humidity ASAP!
    I have just been approved for my MMJ card and have been doing HOURS of research (God Bless whoever came up with the idea for LAPTOP computers and props to Storm Crow for the research links!). I am more and more encouraged with each paper/article that I read regarding MMJ and neuropathic pain. My doctors and I are really hoping to reduce the narcotics in my regimen. I take HIGH doses of morphine, Lyrica, vicodin, soma, and an anti-depressant for sleep and to block pain receptors. I've been on more than 13 Rxs daily for over ten years now and it WILL start to effect my liver and kidneys at any time.
    Sorry for the monster post, but I know how alone one can feel in this situation. Anger, frustration, fear, and constant fatigue don't help, either.
    Feel free to PM me ANY time to just talk, or for some pain mgmt ideas, etc. Finish your studies and get to the desert as soon as you can. That and safe, legal marijuana will certainly make a positive impact on your condition.
    Be well and be blessed.

13. i hear ya. i was on 11 diff meds at one point. Valium, Norco, Soma, Lyrica, and others to counteract the side-effects of these. Once i started medicating 1-2g's a day i have stopped all but the occassional Soma. BP back to normal, Glucose, Kidney & Liver function, etc.

14. fellow fibro sufferer here too. Lyrica helps me tremendously; is it a cure-all, no, but it has helped my quality of life. I have been able to reduce some of the other stuff I had to take. It is EXPENSIVE as all get out though.

15. Yes, the Lyrica helped some but it tore up my stomach for some reason. Maybe prolonged use? idk if it was even the cause of my nausea which still persists even though i've stopped all but one med.

16. If it is possible to move to a MMJ state, then you should probably do that. It's hard to get doctor's to take fibromayalgia seriously due to the fact that it's an exclusive diagnosis. You'll be told many times that the pain is in your head.

17. The last doctor that told me that got his hand sqeezed until i thought i was going to break something. He yelled "Ow, ow, ow..." i told him it was all in HIS head. Asshole!:mad:

And how can a physician claim it's all in one's head without running TONS of tests. That is HOW fibro is diagnosed since it IS a diagnosis of exclusion. But to deny it? SOB will be taken to the medical board for that shit. Have they never heard of Lyrica? A med(albeit a shitty one) for the TREATMENT of fibro? You know, that disease that;s all in your head?

FUCK THAT!!!

/RANT:eek:

18. #20 SoraHaze, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
    When doctors tell their patients that the "pain is in their head" is the most insulting thing you can hear. I am not a Fibromyalgia patient, but I have seen the stigma the patients with this diagnosis carry. There is no doubt in my mind how debilitating this pain can be and hearing "it's all in your head" really diminishes what you are going through. It almost places blame on the patient by making it seem they can control their symptoms or are imagining them. It is like telling someone with Parkinson's that their tremor "is in their head" because their problem was caused by neuronal loss in their brain. The fact that they don't understand or have figured out the disorder is NOT evidence that you pain is imagined. Their frustration with their inability to understand is their problem.

The fact that antidepressants help with pain is NOT evidence that your pain is "in your head". There is something that most doctors do not understand (speaking from professional experience) and that is how the nervous system works. Neurotransmitters do more than just regulate mood but many processes throughout the human body. Pain signals are so active because they are no longer being inhibited. You lose tonic inhibition of neurons that process pain at the level of the spinal cord. Generally that area functions as almost a selective gate normally preventing any signal from getting through, unless absolutely necessary. You aren't just sensitized to pain but are constantly being bombarded with extraneous pain signals.

I know this is kinda random post. Not sure exactly what I wanted to accomplish except to let you guys know that your doctor's ignorance is not a reflection on you or your disease. Just because they can't figure it out or understand in no way gives anyone the right to diminish your experience.

Fibromyalgia is REAL. The pain you experience is more than real. All of you deserve to be pain free and to be treated with the respect you deserve. If you ever feel your doctor really isn't working for you, fire them and get another. After all, they are working for you (I always reminded myself of this. I was getting paid to treat my patient, it was my obligation to be compassionate not be an elitest a$$.) You deserve to have a partner in health.

Good luck to everyone!