Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Few Questions about getting a card

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Altris, Nov 7, 2008.

1. So I already have my medicinal card, but lately I've been hanging with my 15 year old cousin, and he suffers from chronic depression, and teenage anxiety, as well with other minor recurring health problems, now just to see if it would help him, I let him smoke with me, he said a few minutes after he smoked it, it helped him alot, and for the first time all year, he was finally able to focus on things other than his depression, and it helped his stomach and head aches (one of those minor problems), so my question is, if a legal guardian/parent go with him with his medical records, would it be possible for him to get a medical card?

We live in LA County, California. I really think it would help him, and he's kinda shy and... I just wouldn't feel safe if he had to get it off the streets like my other cousin does, I think he just NEEDS this card, plain and simple.

And again, we live in Los Angeles County.

2. I'm really glad that MJ helps him.

but 15 just seems insanely young. and I really do understand that it wouldnt be safe for him to get it off the streets..

I really cant answer your question..but he really is young, and I doubt he will be able to get it until hes 18..

3. Well, the main thing I want to know is if he CAN get one, I've read before that as long as you have a parent/guardian with you, you can get one, is this true?

Also, you really don't know my family's medical history, medications rarely effect us at all, the anti-depressants he takes, he might as well be taking sugar pills, if I or his mom took him (I'm listed as one of his legal guardians, so I COULD take him if needed) I just want to know if we could get one for him, he seems like he needs it more than I need mine (I could go without mine, but I have mine for chronic depression and frequent migraines/arthritis headaches)

Thanks,
    Altris

4. Well, it is good that it helps him and you should persue this with your doctor. However, there are studies out there that quite firmly indicate that smoking weed in teenage years can have detrimental effects on mental development (like alcohol and tobacco). A few studies I saw, for example, inidcated hormonal inbalances as well.
    However, you might as well give it a go. If the meds really aren't helping the kid, and weed does, the doctor shouldn't have many objections.
    How long has he been on antidepressants? I had a course a few years back (in fact I only recently finished taking them) and I didn't feel anything for about 4 months. My psychiatrist said it can take anything from a month to six before the antidepressants start having a noticeable effect.

5. He's been taken the antidepressants for a little over 2 years now, but I just talked with his mom (my aunt of course) and she said it was great that this could help him, and she said I could take him to the doctors for this next week, I already scheduled him an appointment, hopefully he's able to get the card

6. Well thats good news! If the anti-depressants aren't helping, there isn't much else you can do. Make that guy into a proper little blazer ;)

7. This came up while I was waiting for my renewal about 2 years ago. The cute receptionist had someone on the telephone. She was explaining how the doctor would not give a rec to a minor, UNLESS a custodial parent/guardian would put down in writing that they agree to this course of treatment. The parent would have to do this at the office- bringing in a note from your Mom just won't make it! I expect that all MMJ doctors would have a similar policy, or else refuse entirely.

If his Mom is up for it- Go for it! :hello: Cannabis is WAY less toxic that what the doctors give you. My hubby is a chronic depressive- the pills messed him up. So we went back to what we knew was safe and effective- cannabis. I grow what we need and it's cheaper than the pills!

Oh, you ought to hit the bottom link in my sig and to go to the "innocent" site of "Granny Storm Crow's list". Bookmark it and show your aunt the section on depression. There's a lot of documentation on how cannabis helps with depression. She might find it interesting.

Granny :wave:

8. Oh his mom is already on bored, as soon as I told her that it could help with his depression and stomach/head aches, she agreed that it was a great idea. She's been stressed herself over her son, I kinda think his depression started when my mom (his aunt) died in 2005, so ever since, I've been an older brother to him, and luckily his mom is pro-weed (she's even blazed with me a few times)

I'll let you all know how it turns out, but with his medical record, a card is most likely a sure thing for him, wish us luck

9. THere are precedents for minors getting a card, however, in those cases the illness was much more severe than depression, and the minor was in a terminal situation. I seriously do not think that a 15 year old will be able to get a card, nor do I believe that they should to be quite honest.

That said, as long as he is a good citizen in all other aspects I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be allowed to partake in certain situations.

10. you could
    if you find a doctor that will do it (extremely rair)
    i got my card when i was 17 and that was a huge thing for the doctor to do (for all of you out there that wanna scream "Banhammer!!! AWEEEEE!!! he's not 18. omg im gona kill myself if he doesn't get banned in 2 seconds. AWE!!!!!) i said when i was 17. i am now 18