Ferment discussion

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by alt_organix, Jan 9, 2018.

1. So I just started making some ferments and it kinda started a bug in me.

What different substitutes have you used before? I used kombucha in my ginger and garlic ferment instead of beer. And was curious about using honey as a sugar substitute

Sent from my Pixel using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. I’d be interested in this also.

I have a question about a ferment I made, it smells like alcohol instead of sugary bananas now that it’s been jarred awhile. Is it still safe to use??

It’s a 1:1 Banana/brown sugar.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Might've gone a bit too long... I try and stay away from any alcohol additives as I would assume the ethanol would harm your microherds. But that's just a hypothesis. Obviously we drink kombucha which has a minor amount of alcohol in it and that's awesome for your gut health so like I said, I'm not too sure. I know some people have used slight ratios of alcohol based solutions for pests but I've never done it.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  4. Also for super sugary fruits I generally do a 1:1/2 or even 1/4 ratio fruit to sugar. The fruits have so much sugar km them already you have a real high chance of making moonshine instead . Found that out the hard way but I got to try an orange based liquor so that was kind of cool. I've been really interested in starting to make cold pressed extracts to possibly get the same effect as our ferments but without the production of alcohol

• Like Like x 3
  5. I haven't seen you in a dogs age. How have you been?

• Like Like x 1
  6. That makes a lot of sense, so if I let this go I might end up with some Banana shine?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’ve been growing! Lol, settled down a little and have a nice personal room. Things are looking good for this year! How have you been?

8. I think i told you I moved to Humboldt county. Also about to start fulltime at honeydew farms. How is the yurt selling going?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Right but there's a bunch of other random alkaloids and isotopes formed that I'm not aware of. The orange drink I made was really strong but it gave me a stomach ache, even after just one normal sized shot so I'm assuming either a.) The acidity from the concentrated oranges or the ferment itself forms a weird alkaloid. If you had a short path you could distil it but that's as far as I've gotten.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Years ago I made this. Also subbed blackstrap molasses for brown sugar a couple times. The trick is to leave the cover off until the alcohol evaporates. (It won't smell like alcohol anymore). I always stored this stuff with a vented cap (hole in lid), and would just store it in the fridge once the alcohol smell is gone.
    I was following the recipe/ directions from the unconventionalfarmer.com . I believe it was listed under FPE's. A lot of other cool stuff on the site as well.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's in the bloom section of recipes at unconventionalfarmer.com
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  12. That’s awesome. I only made the one yurt for myself. My true passion is plants!! In the process of buying a normal brick home. Which I am using my garden to pay for, lol. Then I want to flip this home and buy some land so I can start a homestead.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks!

Thanks a lot! I will leave the lid off and see what happens! And check out that website later today!

14. Anyone ever make ferments out of leafy greens? Have a bit too much fresh kale that needs harvesting, was wondering if I could make an effective fpj out of it?

• Like Like x 2
  15. I’ve made FPJ out of dandelion leaves before. Happens within a week usually at room temp. Nice black liquid.

16. Notice good praying? That's kind of what I look for in my ferments... if they're potent, they'll make my ladies look like they're praying. I usually get that from my carrot ffj but I'm out

• Like Like x 1
  17. I would say that would depend on where the inputs were grown. Even though it’s a Dynamic Accumulator, it would only be able to use what’s available in the ground. I.e. Coffee grown in Fiji or Hawaii would have the most nutrients in them, because the soil in the those places is very mineral rich.

My soil is high clay, which will have a lot of nutrients and minerals in it. I also use leftover teas, etc from the res on anything I am growing outside. This year I will be growing comfrey, pumpkin, Stinging Nettle, Lemon Balm, Spearmint, Lavender, Dandelions, and wild harvesting English Ivy leaves. All just to ferment or vermicompost. Lol

• Like Like x 3
  18. At my college in socal we have a large greenhouse and large outdoor gardens, I have 2 10X10 plots that me and my friend have worked on for the past couple semesters. We use all of the same principles we use inside outside. We're both only 22 so it's kind of nice to impress some of the older teachers etc. We built the beds from the ground up and our soil is the same super soil mix we use inside. I'd say they're pretty healthy but it's definitely an artificial environment atleast in regards to the actual landscape of the area. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. We use our gardens at school to grow food for the Laguna Beach food bank, but our main goal was to have a place to grow the ferments we needed as their not readily available in our area. The dessert climates don't bring much to the table as far as ferments go but we do have access to prickly pear which is an awesome bloom ferment (it also tastes super amazing and comes out a deep purple) as well as fresh seaweed but that's about it as far as what we can forage for.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aloe Vera!!! One of my favorites!! Have it growing all over my house. Just break a few spears off, blend, strain, spray!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1