Femmed seeds are BS!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by guitarandpot, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Yes it makes sense, and actually goes along with what I'm saying. The process of creating femmed seeds, however, generally weakens the genetics of the plant. My guess as to why femmed seeds easily become herms is that possibly the root system that grows from these types of seeds is generally weaker than that of regular seeds. A weaker root system means that it easier to damage, and more susceptable to stress. When the root system is damaged, the roots release a horomone which slows leaf growth. This horomone, unfortunately, also makes a female plant go hermie. Now I'm not a botanist, this is just info that I read from a reputable source. Please don't ream me if it turns out to be wrong lol.

One process of making femmed seeds involves growing a female plant, and then feeding it a special hormone which forces it to grow male flowers. These flowers are then used to pollinate another female plant. The resulting seeds are then "feminized."
    There's another process as well, and I believe it goes like this; take a female and clone her, veg the clone, but also stress it into becoming a hermie, then polinate the mother plant with the resulting male flowers. I think that's even more fucked up than the hormone treatment lol. Its the ultimate "go fuck yourself" xDDDD.

To me the whole process is comparable to two men having buttsex and then having a baby. I would think that the resulting baby would be pretty genetically fucked lol. Either way, its unnatural imo, which defeats the purpose of mj in the first place lol.

2. Why don't you first grow a plant or two, before you start giving out secondhand information.
    I and many other members grow from feminized seeds and don't have a problem with them. If people would learn how to grow a plant and give it the right condition, your plants won't hermie.
    Ask a grower (who grows feminized seeds), to recommend a good breeder, get the seeds and give the plants the right conditions, and you will not have any problems.
    If people can't give a cannabis plant (regular or feminized) the right conditions, what do people expect.
    Femmed seeds aren't BS, your post is!

3. Okay seriously, mr. "John,"

I'm really sick of getting flamed for bringing up a very important fact. Please follow, if you have the mental capacity to do so.

Here are the facts:
    Most growers out there are, in fact, inexperienced. They also may not have the reasources to create a decent grow box, or the patience to not stress a plant. Either way, many, many, many of the growers out there will end up stressing their plant(s) one way or another. Also, as I said about not having resources; femmed seeds cost more. This thread is aimed at those inexperienced growers. If you have a fuhcocktuh grow box and just the change in ur couch cusions to buy seeds, then femmed seeds are NOT the way to go. That fuhcocktuh box will end up stressing your plants in some way or another, so your better off buying regular seed.
    In the argument for femmed seeds, if you've got a fuckin 5000 watt total hps lighting system over full hydro with the best nutes money can buy and fuckin industrial fans for ventilation, then sure, why waste the money you invested on that system on a half crop of males when you can have a full crop of females for a pretty penny per seed? Sure, in that case femmed seeds are great.
    But this thread isn't for people who have a $5000 grow setup and a few big harvests under their belt, and I've stated this already. This thread is aimed towards the average joe backyard novice grower. Btw I've had my fair share of grows, before I joined this site.

If you understood everything I just said, then you probably feel pretty stupid right now. To avoid that problem in the future, I would suggest reading the whole thread before deciding to be an asshole for no reason whatsoever. In fact, please read the whole thread just to show yourself how many things I've repeated in this post and realize the asshole you are being.

Good day to you, sir

4. I am a experienced grower, and i certainly don't feel stupid for posting my last post.
    I used to use regular seeds. I have been using feminized seeds for 2 and a half years now, and they haven't given me any more bother than the regular seeds i grew from, infact i've had less bother with them.

I'm not going to go thru this shit again, read this post:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/seed-banks/446351-regular-vs-femmed.html

This is one of my posts:
    I use feminized seeds, and i can't see me going back to regular seeds.
    At the minute i use Flying Dutchmen seeds, and i get good results.

Growing from seed.
    Feminized seeds save on electric, space, nutrients and time.

Growing from clone.
    Feminized seeds save on electric, space, nutrients and time. Plus, the space where the mothers and clones are kept, can grow female plants (which in turn) will pay for plenty of feminized seeds and also have plenty of extra bud left. (SOG is a different story)

Which sounds easier? Growing a mother plant, taking cutting from it, looking after the clones (and mothers) for a week or two to get roots OR plant a seed?

Which sounds easier? Planting 10 regular seeds, vegging them until maturity, then flowering them (or taking a clone for sex), to find out you only have 3 females OR plant 10 feminized seeds and get 9 or 10 female plants.

I've had one hermie from feminized seeds in over 2 years (from 100s of plants), i can say that i have had just as many hermies before that when i was growing with regular seeds.

Germinating feminized seeds vs regular seeds, there is no difference in success rate.

And as for the genetic bla bla, well if your into that thing, so be it. I'm sure people that keep getting good weed won't worry what the genetics are. They may ask what strain it is, thats it!

5. And before you post anymore bullshit, i'm talking from experience, are you?

6. Okay so that's your experience with femmed seeds. Maybe when I have the money, ill try them, but for now reg seeds are plenty. Regardless of ur experience, my experience, or anyone elses, u don't have the right to call me out like that. As I'm sure you can tell, I don't take bullshit from people. Ill admit when I'm wrong, and I'm not here. Regular seeds are better for novice growers because of femmed seeds sensitivity to stress and cost. That's it. Now I'm gonna say here, if uve grown 100s of plants, I could probably learn a lot from you. I'm not on grasscity to do anything other than ask questions, share my experience and important info that I may find. I'm not here to fight, argue, or bicker like a little bitch. If that's what you want to do, c ya later, I won't reply to ur next remark. However, if you are/feel like being a productive member of a community that I'm involved in, than what's up dude how'd u like to see some pics of my recent grow box project still in the works? Jeeze man, long winded, but shit I really don't feel like arguing over a fuckin plant bro.

7. No problem bro, it's just that you've discourged people from purchasing feminized, and let them try them out for themselves. People need to post comments from experience, not from other peoples misfortune.
    I know that if you grow feminized seeds from a good breeder then you shouldn't have any more problems then with regular seeds from the same breeder.

8. hey guitarandpot, you mind qualifying this statement? Why do you "guess" that feminized seeds yield a weaker root system? What hormone is the resultant of this inhibited root system?

lol, what hormone, naturally occuring in a cannabis, actually induces hermaphroditism? Intersexing is, typically, expression of a gene (or lack of a gene, depending on your school of thought...whether the herm comes from male or female alleles) that is responding to a stimulii.....so what hormone are you citing?

before you start "slapping" me and telling me how stupid I must feel, why dont you actually answer those questions? I ask because, IMO, youre a little backwards on the logic.

And, before you jump to conclusions, Im opposed to feminized seeds in most circumstances. Just like Im against autoflowers UNLESS youre an outdoor grower in a climate that wouldnt normally support a healthy harvest :D

9. wow i was jut reading that heated battle and im still not sure whether to buy fem seeds or reg seeds. i dont know what IMO is but i get a little bit of the technical stuff...

jhon seems like he knows what he is talking about because i read some other post of his and guitarandpot i see where your comming from but in all honesty....

can someone give me info on not stressing plants period, fem seeds or not it seems like something i should learn.

first hydro grow
    fem or reg?

10. I'm with you and everyone else who agrees fems are not BS.

They are not, your lights suck, your nutes suck, the whole way you grew them probably sucked, and i have never heard of a fem seed growing into a plant, then turning into a male way into the grow without having been polinated ( you didn't have a male in with the fems did ya?), there are not many strains out there that hermi them selfs, and if you get something like wonder woman or super girl you probably wont ever have a hermi, i have never had a probaly with a fem seed, i'd think if they were bunk like you were saying alotta seed banks would be down and out.

Plus its like what? ten extra bucks for femed seeds if you back in 3-5-10 or w.e packs, so why not do that, instead of buying a ten pack of regular seeds and have maybe one turn out to be male.

11. im growing fem'd sensi star[paradise] and violator kush[barneys]. the mothers are incredibly strong compared to the unfem'd jack flash mother i have. beyond that the flowering plants i have from clone are also retardedly stronger than the jack flash or the ice cream my friend and i had that are both from unfem'd seeds. they also smell much stronger and keep a much better over all form. i realize part of that is because one is a sativa dom and the other two are indica but the fem seed plants just grow so much better overall.

all and all i'll be sticking with fem'd seeds. better results all around. plus i can clone without flowering the mom and know i'll have all females. :)

12. #32 SequoiaThrone, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009

And before i get flamed, reason why i never heard of a hermi horrors happening, is that i have only have had it happen to one buddy of mine, who had 3 plants turn on him (so i guess you can disreguard me saying it never happened), but i still think someone on his street Polinated them for what ever reason, it just didn't seem like a natural Herm case. I have had heard other storys of herming happening, but that always happened in indoor grows. I am an outdoor man myself, from what i have seen in indoor grows its more likely you will stress your plants because you are playing god and creating your own enviourment (remeber fellas, Weed originaly grew outdoors, thats its natural enviourment, so don't let anyone tell you some boo boo shit about why not to grow real bomby strains outside, granted some plants to better inside if you are not in california, and those are mostly strains like White widow, great white shark...and most white strains. They will grow just fine outdoors, the T.combs might not all turn white, but thats nothing, it will still be bomb. Infact I had some pruple nepal that barley had any pruple in it, and it beat the crap out of the super prupley nepal i had before)

Back to my point, if you don't have everything (or close to it) in your grow box/room, like fresh air, waves of wind at random intervals (like the outdoors provides) proper light ( sure, light will grow your weed, and give you danky bomb bud, but NOTHING can replace how the sun loves on your babies), and just everything the outdoors provides, the plants wont like it and will stress. Don't get me wrong, I love both indoor and outdoor grown weed. But I have been leading my own grow ops outdoors for the past 6 years (not mentioning the aprentince grow ops i had with my parents, and other people), and from what i have seen, the outdoors provides Super strong Plants, with high clone turn outs. and high strong bud yields and Just monster huge bushy like 11x16 foot plants from having to deal with the elements. in 2008 i let a few of my plants go un pruned, no nutes, didnt check the ph at all (All I did was top them and clone them once for about 50 clones each two months into their start though), just good 'ol water and sun, and the plants turned out magnificent.

I have only used regular seeds, and i popped 33 females out of 115 seeds, which was not to bad. If using reg is your thing, go for it, just becareful not to be doing them outdoors and have them turn out to be males and kill homeboy's crops 3 miles down the road cause it was a windy day and some pollen from yours got to his ladys, it sucks when that happens.

I am stick with my females.

Cheers, and grow responsibly

Dmitri K.

13. if you're strain searching femmed seeds are the way to go imo and can save a lot of time and money for growers with limited plant count/space. i'm limited to 3 plants in veg and it would take forever to find that perfect strain (legally) without fem seeds. with a fem seed you're pretty much guaranteed to get some bud and clones out of your well spent time and money. if she hermies but you like the bud, then you can go back to the reg seeds. i've had a few fem seeds hermie but they only showed a handful of nanners on the main stalk--plucked em and only ended up with 2 or 3 seeds in the whole plant.

14. Since the man has put your growing on a strain, and if you pretty much never wanna worry about herman coming to visit your ladys, grow either Wonder woman or Super girl, they are pretty much all female, and bomb ass hell, and not many people are growing 'em.

Peace 'n pot

15. Sword fight!!!!

16. genetics is everything.femmed seed are exactly like reg seeds except there female,IF the breeder knows what they are doing.do some research and find the best breeders and I guarantee you wont have problems.In my experience you really have to fuck up,or something extreme has to happen like a 6 day power outage in the middle of winter to turn a good solid female morph.

17. #37 john, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
    Wheather you buy regular or feminized seeds, if a flowering plant thinks it's going to die through high stress (during flowering) they will turn hermie, simple as that!

New growers go out there and buys feminized seeds for their first grow, and stress the life out of them during flowering, the plant turns hermie, they then blame the seeds, (regular seeds will do the same), after that they buy regular seeds, and say that regular seeds don't hermie, but don't forget, they've now got some experience from growing that 'shitty hermie feminized plant'. Try growing feminized seeds again and see wheather they will hermie or not.

If people learn how to give a plant the right conditions and if they hermie after that, then they are entitled to post bad comments about feminized seeds and their breeders. If a person gets feminized seeds from well known breeders, and they hermie, (in my opnion) it's not the seeds fault, it's down to the persons growing conditions.

Strains that are harder to hermie during flowering are used for feminized seeds, this is why you see some strains that aren't feminized. This means that the feminized seeds can withstand just as much stress as a regular seed, but, it still has that hermie strait in it's genes.

If you are into genetics, and want to save the world, then you may aswell stay away from feminized seeds, because we had a discussion before when the gene pool was messed about thru feminized breeding. If all you want is to get stoned out of your head, and not worry about genetics, then why not even try feminized plants.

I am not saying go out now and buy feminized seeds, i'm defending them from people who don't know shit about growing.

EDIT: Proper feminized seeds won't produce a male plant, they don't carry a Y chromosome!

18. I have to quote myself and call you guys all drama queens.

19. If you have been growing for over 6 yrs, how could you make such a statement? Plants do not need to be pollinated to become hermie, nor is a pollinate plant considered hermie. There is no possible way that some-one pollinated plants and they turned hermie. Hermies happen, be it regular or feminised seed stock. It is not a result of pollination. Also, fem seeds will not produce males, only female and hemrie, same goes with regular seeds going hermie and pollinating a another female. The offspring seeds will only produce females and hermies.

I tend to have great luck with regular seeds. Also, I breed and produce my own seeds of strains I like or want to preserve. So feminised seeds are useless to me. As for cost, 5 seeds is about the same as 10-15 regular seeds, in my experience I have always had a high percentage of females from regular seeds, usually over 60%. If you have space issues or do not have the time, and do not breed and/or produce your own seed stock, then feminised seeds are fine for you. Me, I have too much going on with breeding and preserving good lines to want to use them.

20. i have never had a problem with fem seeds
    going hermie on me
    and ive grown about 4 different strains
    from fem seed.

i gave up on regular seeds when i vegg'd some ak-47 for about 2 months
    and go 2 females and 8 males :(:wave: