feminized or non-feminized

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by KGB_Quietus, Feb 15, 2010.

1. So is it truly worth the extra cash to buy feminized over regular seeds? What do you all think?

2. #2 stayhigh1122, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
    well....I would say yes personally, to the feminized. I got a few reasons.
    I am doing a grow of 2 plants, now i obviously want 2 females. I have regular seeds, and regret it because i have 3 plants hoping for at least 2 female. but what if i get 1 female 2 male. Then i really can only do 1, because it will be too late to start up a new plant. also if i get 3 female 0 male, i have to throw away 1 good female, which really sucks.

Also the price different, not really too much more money. If you buy a pack of 10 master kush female seeds that cost $86.26 dollars, compared to non female, which is $30.68 dollars (which I just looked up), and the price is almost 3x more. You will get 10 females, compared to 6 or 7 females if your LUCKY. the 3 or 4 extra female that you will get will definately cover the extra $56 dollars you spent. actually 1 extra female will. but chances are if you get 10 regular you could end up with only like 4 female. you never know. you could get unlucky. but yes i would say its worth it, even when buying single seeds for sure.

3. #3 stagger lee, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    feminized seeds have a greater tendencie to produce herms when stressed than standards, the reason dutch passion changed ads( when 1st released) from 100% female to 100% feminized seeds is custis were finding males and herms also. When DP created feminized seeds they were built on the foundation that seeds have a sexual predisposition(either male or female when created) so xx crossed w/xx =xx(all female) But why are growers finding males and herms you ask???? DP soon found out the grow environment(from time seedling has 3 sets of leaves until preflowers show) can have an influence on the final sexual outcome of mj plants grown from seed! So no matter how feminized seeds are created the grow environment always has the last sayso. thats why their are grow tips to get higher % females from standard seeds. Basically STRESSED ENVIRO =MORE MALES......and GOOD GROW ENVIRO = MORE FEMALES this is proven and also explains how some growers have most males or visversa mostly females when growing from standard seedsd. IMO new /inexperienced growers dont have their grow ops "dialed in"and can accidentally stress and end up pollinating/destroying evrythig when using feminized genetics. the initial males and herms isnt main prob its the hidden few male pollen sacs that pop up generations later after several successful harvests that pollinate un suspecting growers, even experienced growers have poweroutages and experience the devistation herms can do! think about it a feminized mj plant is basically a transvestite(created from one) imo go natural and avoid these probs because what it comes down to is the grow environment has the last sayso

I really wish feminized didnt have these complications it would be fucking awesome!!!!!
    CHECKOUT WHAT THE PROS THINK IN GROWBOOKS jorge greg greens Robert Clark,the rev ect... all have very similar opinions. imo best books are greg greens breeder/growers)bible and jorge C's bible good luck bro! now let all the feminized lovers break my balls PEACE

4. That was helpful, thanks. I would still consider myself a n00b I do have a few very successful soil and hydro "inside" grows its just expensive when you are paying for nutes for a male grrrr.

But I havent grown in a quite a few years now Kids and Wife so I can't grow inside. But, I have many acres of land connected to many acres of state and federal forests (1,000's of acres muwhahaha) So I've always had an itch to go outdoors I'm in a northern climate last frost go into middle of may (even into june once or twice a decade) I grew up working a vegetable and strawberry farm. I wish I had available a place where I could clone inside. It would just be nice not having to watch for males and wasting my time raising them :mad:

5. The way I look at it is price per seed. Using stayhigh's numbers, we would pay $8.62 per female seed. On the other hand we would pay $3.07 per seed for regulars. But, if we assume half of those are male we end up paying $6.14 for the females. So, we would save a few dollars by buying regular seeds. Now, here is where it gets iffy. What if we end up with 6 females in the regular seed pack? The price per (female) seed in the regular seed pack goes down to $5.12. Conversely if we end up with only 4 females in the regular seed pack then the price per (female) seed goes up to $7.67.

So, moneywise we would be better off buying regular seeds. But money isn't the only reason to buy female seeds. As stayhigh notes he can only grow a small number of plants and wants a guarantee that they will be female. Other growers, myself included, may just want to sample a particular strain. Still others may want a mom.

Feminized seeds have become a big business and I think there is a place for them. But for the most part I stick with regulars and use techniques to increase the percentage of females.

6. props KGB, w/family I respect ur decision about indoors. Nothing beats having kids and putting them 1st! And the $ prob isnt there to throw around cause of. I see several friends w/kids and nothing beats raising em,everyday is something new and they give you a sense of accomplishment and purpose in life(jealous)sp? Dude ooohhh that spread you got is my dream to be able to be close enough(and far enough) from outdoor girls! Its alot harder than peeps think to find such a good spot w/out the incredible wrk it takes to successfully grow outside! I have a cousin w/land in central min in town called littlefalls,or swanville somethng like that the satelite map looks awesome all around that area! Weve been totally thinking about doing somethng thereIf looking for good strains for up there I have had excellent results from Bonkers(next generation) Early wonder skunk(solar warrior) and Haleys comet(flyn dutchmen) check em out! weve tried honest to god about 50 different strains in N midwest and these were the big standouts! unfortunately not sure if they come feminized though! Patriofarmer I get were your coming from, Ive seen many good grows w/feminized and would be lying if I said anything different, too each his own grown as long as ya share peace
    feminized does sound like a good choice for outdoor grows starting from seed when you cant really check everyday for males! with indoors its much easier to accidentilly stress when outdoors ya let mother nature take care of your girls!

7. One difference though is that in an Outdoor Grow op you usually spend 10-25$ per plant on soil. Idk about you, but If im going to be putting a plant in a 50 gallon pot I damn sure want it to be female lol.

8. It may be worth it up front but here's how I see it.

If you buy the seeds that are unfeminized, you save yourself some cash but... even if only 5/10 turn out to be females you could flower 3 of those,, save the other two as mothers and you would have unlimited supply by making clones and flowering them out.

You could do that with feminzed too but you'd just have more females to start with.

9. this is the outdoor section. And in the case of outdoor growing you typically spend 15-25$ per plant on soil and ammendments (damn you perlite) also alot of people in here can't grow mothers and cut clones due to home reasons (roomates, parents, etc) So if i were to say spend 20$ on soil for each plant I want that plant to be female or thats 20$ wasted. Also people have a certain amount of plants they can plant in a spot.

So if 10 plants was your maximum you could grow in a spot you wouldn't want to grow normal seeds because typically half of those will be eliminated in august after you put all that hard work and money into them. While if you used femmed seeds all your plants would end up being Female = more cost effective for your time and your money that you spent on soil and nutrients.

Oh and Patriofarmer I'm just using a guestimate, I use alot of soil per plant but thats because i want my plants to grow big and healthy and the Florida Soil is more of a clay substance.

10. Well, soil cost is not a factor I have access to unlimited supply of black dirt and other fertilizers.

The one main factor for me going feminized is I do not have the opportunity to clone inside due to wife and kids. I think I will germinate and start the first month inside in a secret cooler or something I'm pretty handy and have a three stall garage so I can come up with something for a month to keep it secret. The growing season where I'm at is very slim definitely need to harvest by second week of october. If not first week.

11. KGB Ive also been able to use clones from outdoor mothers started early enough! I know your more north but I think that might still be a option for you!

This feminized/standard issue is a VERY debatable subject that many times turns into an ugly arguement that goes nowhere fast. Props to us for keepn it cool and respectn our fellow growers opinions/posts! Goodluck whichever way you guys decide to throwdown outdoors this year! PEACE

12. Your wife doesnt know you grow or smoke? Or both?

13. Feminized seeds represent the peak in quality and genetics of regular seeds. The seeds are difficult to produce but deliver optimum quality and all female plants. The seeds also produce very stable plants.

14. Knows I smoke yes, grow no, I grew before many years ago a couple years before I met her.

I'm just bored and feel like doing something exciting. And I used to enjoy grows alot. And I don't feel like explaining to her what I'm doing she doesn't smoke and wouldnt understand. I'm only a weekend toker now. Too much responsibility in the week. Knowing my personality I won't tell a soul (besides whoever is reading this haha) What I'm doing and surprise the shit out of a couple friends one glorious weekend when I take them on a hike. Would that not make someones day!!!!

Hey lets go hunting.... hour later. Holy shit!!! look at this guys!!! :D

15. i say if you have a short season try auto ak or easy ryders!! they are quick and plenty strong. less soil needed and more covert? less risk and less chance of one of the children or someone worse finding them.

16. I know absolutely nothing about auto's I am interested though

17. they are typically done 3 months after they sprout, so they stay low and you can grow them and finish them in short seasons or if you wanted to grow autos so you can get bud half way through a grow. they just flower no matter what after they are a month old from what i can tell.

18. your correct. thats why their called autos because they flower automatically after so many weeks...but a major downfall i think with autos is you cant clone them. Also autos are usually weak in the THC due to their Rudalis background.;)

autos are a waste of money and time....been their smoked it they suck....

ive been growing only feminized seeds for the past few years, never had any problems....only advice with fem seeds is do your research and find companys who have been making fem seeds for a while an estiblished company, my preference is PAradise seeds or Dutch passion , both those companys are the leaders in fem seeds can't go wrong with either company

19. not sure I agree w/that. how do they represent the best in quality from any strain? Ive also believed they actually lose alittle vigor. and not sure how feminizing actually stablizes a strain. An unstable hybrid can be stablized thru feminization process?Doesnt it still show the same # of phenos that strain "brought with" from standard genetics?

20. #20 stagger lee, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
    Green1st, I think the same about auto's, but cant believe the hardcore following lowryder has on this site.Its funny, lowryders extremely popular w/new and inexperienced growers, and these guys will break your balls if you create a thread explaining its complications. marketing lowryder is full of half truths never mentioning the serious probs that come w/growing it!New growers that start w/lowryder act like its the holy grail of pot plants and no matter what you say joint dr is god! marketing LR leaves out all the neg facts about it.(low potency,cant clone,irregular light schedual,ect)
    Only newbies fall for it. experienced growers know and would think having a good strain getting pollinated by a wild hemp(ruderalis) is a bad thing!!! My god what people will overlook just to get bud as soon as possible.

Green1st I dare you to start a thread explaining the facts about lowryder.lol ! even being totally sincere/honest a ton of dickheads will come crashing down on you w/a quickness! lol!

I have to admit bonkers (next generation) is a strain w/a very small amount of rude is awesome. But its clonable,potent,no irregular light scheduale,ect..
    basically used rude for early flowering trait in its breeding