Feminised?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bluegiles, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Ive noticed feminised seeds are more exspensive than regular seeds, why exactly is this, what does feminised exactly mean, does it mean there ALL female?

2. #3 Bluegiles, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah sorry i have no clue

3. as stated from - http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/55127-vocabulary-growing-terms-slang.html

Feminized Seeds - seeds which have a higer likelyhood of sprouting female

worth the money if you do not plan on breeding, which requires fem and male plants.

you only want to smoke the female flower...

read all the sticky's in the absolute beginners section.....TONS of helpful info, and people on here will tend to be assholes if you ask beginner questions, w/o researching first.

4. Quote for truth right there. Its like some of the people on this forum think they emerged from the womb a Herb Expert. Kinda sad really, but i suppose its the nature of humans to validate the ego by taking pride in the knowledge weve gained.

Im not 100% of how they get the seeds to be feminized... whether its messing with genes, or perhaps a chemical spray. It would take additional effort though i'd imagine thus the justification of a higher cost. Not too mention people will pay more if theyre told its guaranteed to be female.

5. I feel some of them though, some people put alot of time and effort into the knowledge they have aquired over the years, and are putting it all out for the world to see, for free. they put it in the most obvious section a "noob" should be reading..and the people who actually write the posts, with all the detail and pictures in these sticky's, spend alot of time typing up a whole page of their knowledge they have gained either through some sort of schooling or at the cost of their own trial and error, and most peole dont even bother to look, when the answers are right in front of their faces...

so i can see how one could get bothered by this, but the people who always flip out on people with so called "dumb questions", are never the ones who actually put all that effort into a thread that was so helpful, with so much info, it became a sticky...

never seen so many stoners ready to jump on each other's throats in one place.

6. whoever said theres no stupid questions was dead wrong. ive seen some dumbass questions in these fourms that i learnd after a few hours of being high as hell and reading what the OG's have said from years and years of knowledge

7. Feminized seeds are made by injecting a female plant with chemicals to make it produce pollen. The plant pollinates itself with its own genes and all of the seeds should be female. This is a shitty monsanto way of breeding and is actually cheaper than doing it the real way with males and females, so I don't know why they are more expensive.

8. ^Not exactly. There are several techniques for feminizing, some use hormones, some use chemicals, some use stress through light-cycle manipulations, or some combination of the above, in order to induce a female plant to produce some outwardly male flowers (pollen sacs). Not a full-blown hermie.

MJ gender is genetically determined the same way humans is, meaning that the female has XX chromosomes and the male has XY -- if the male passes along its Y chromosome to combine with a female's X then the resulting offspring will be XY and thus male, if the male passes along its X to combine with a female's X then the result will be a female XX. By inducing a female to produce some male flowers the resulting pollen all will have X chromosomes since that is all the female had to contribute.

Breeders then take this pollen and use it to pollinate a different female, which will produce seeds that are all XX and thus all genetically female.

Feminized seeds are more expensive because, as already stated, unless you want to do some breeding yourself you will want only females anyway, so if you buy "regular" seeds your odds are that half will be males that you will end up tossing in the compost heap anyway. With feminized seeds you get 100% female, so even if they cost twice as much you really are getting about the same cost per female seed.

Also consider not just the cost of the seeds but the cost of having to grow out those males enough to identify them to be able to cull them -- so extra soil, buckets, ferts, larger space, bigger lights, bigger fans and ventilation system, bigger electric bill, etc. And the law doesn't distinguish male from female so if you are growing out males you are increasing your legal exposure to an extent. Lastly, the odds are 50/50 on male vs. female, but in any given 10-pack you don't know what you actually will get. Possibly only 3 females. Possibly 7 females but not the space to grow them all out if you planned on having 5. Femmed seeds can help you plan more specifically. All in all well worth the extra cost IMO.

As for assholes -- it depends on the newbie kind of question. Many questions can easily be answered by a simple search, and yes someone asking one of those is extending an invitation for criticism. Good MJ growers are self-educated, and if you can't display that initiative from the start there's a good chance you won't become a good grower, in which case it could be a waste of time to help that person anyway. But many newbie questions are not easily found, and in general folks around here are glad to help someone with questions like that.

9. Very objective toasty. You seem to lack the philosophical objection to fem seeds that I have, or hide it well. Good post.