Feeling Overwhelmed, anyone care to listen?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by whatsmarijuana, May 23, 2010.

1. #1 whatsmarijuana, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    So this is the first time I've been this open about how I really feel about my marijuana usage and it's effects on my life.

I've been smoking since sophmore year of highschool, it's currently the middle of what would be my junior year if I hadn't graduated early. Prior to using I was getting D's at best for the previous 4-5 years due to a severe depression that actually lead to my using. My first 4-5 months of smoking I did it pretty infrequently since I didn't really have a hook up and whenever I got high one bowl was enough to knock me out for the rest of the day, consequently I was really just abusing until a built up enough of a tolerance to function well while high. That happened after my first summer of smoking while living at a friends house whos parents smoked.

After the summer I went on independant study and finished up highschool in like 8 months with weed, after that i convinced my parents to get me my presciption because I had something more valuable than money to them, a straight A's report card and soon after a diploma! But, before they'd let me get my script I had to get clean so I went 6 weeks clean while staying at a different friends house who kept me busy and knew I was trying to quit. So that 6 weeks was actually, suprisingly easy! I exercised a lot and was really productive.

After I got my script I of course started using again, although this time primarily with a vaporizer! And in addition, with my free time in between highschool-college (I start this fall studying horticulture which is my passion, which ironically started with weed, and lead to my love of all plants which in turn lead to nearly all the good things in my life but well.. I'll end these parathensis before I start ranting) I started looking a little deeper into life.

I've never been one for religion or authority, and especially not religious authority figures, so that's kept me away from pursuing any spiritual beliefs for to long. Once I started achieving things in life I quickly realized that none of these things would truly make me happy otherwise there'd be a lot more truly happy people out there. So I started studying up on buddhism and related beliefs. As some of you may know, Buddhism doesn't promote intoxication, so that lead to a bit of inner conflict. In addition, I feel as though I'm actually being overwhelmed by everything I'm taking in through reading/meditation.

So basically i'm just looking for a little advice or some insight, do I continue to use based on the fact that I've had so much success and productivity from using in the past? Or do I fully engage in a Buddhist lifestyle and stop "intoxicating"? I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and reply to this, honestly.

2. Foremost, it's a lot easier to read when you use paragraphs.

That said, I feel it's important to shape your beliefs from your lifestyle and not the other way around. You are you, and that's who you will always be. If you enjoy smoking pot, then don't stop because a philosophical doctrine says you shouldn't.

This could get me started on rant towards fundamentalism, but I won't go there. At least pertaining to Abrahamic religions, a lot of their rules are outdated. So it's silly to keep grasping onto something that should be let go.

3. Thanks for reading it anyways, as I said it was the first time I've ever really tried to tell/ask anyone about this stuff. I'm transplanting at the moment but when I'm done I'll break it into paragraphs as best I can. :]

4. I was in the same position as you were with the whole giving up smoking for Buddhism and eventually decided to stop smoking for the greater good.

It hasn't failed me yet.

5. The Buddha encouraged his followers to find their own path of enlightenment, and not just follow his own specific method of achieving nirvana.

Do as you must to be who you are.

6. Well I was thinking of taking a break til my harvest (outdoor), but I don't see myself ever stopping permenantly. I think my deal is that I don't neccesarily feel like I'm intoxicated when I'm smoking, unless I smoke excessively. And even then it's never comparable to alcohol or hard drugs, both of which aren't a part of my life

I definately feel like Buddhism has a lot to offer, but at the same time I also agree that everyone has to find their own path. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read and reply, I'm about to break it into paragraphs so it's a little easier to read.

7. #7 Perpetual Burn, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
    As far as I know, smoking cannabis is perfectly fine within Buddhism. It is advised...

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

This is the fifth of the Five Precepts which are guidelines, advice, not necessary rules you must follow. And this precept is clearly about alcohol... and in my opinion does not even ban alcohol, just using to a degree that causes heedlessness.

Cannabis does not cause heedlessness... in fact, it causes awareness.

A more important concept within Buddhism is the Middle Way... which can be described as moderation, but in a more general sense regarding all things/thoughts. The Middle Way means you should not say "I must do this" or "I cannot do that." Such dogmas create delusion.

"Free from extremes, it is called the great Middle Way."

So, do what you feel is right... there is no right or wrong, there is simply what is.

8. Thanks man, that seriously got my head straight. I think I'll take a break after I smoke this last .5 tonight and get my smoking habit in check and then when I feel ready again I'll go pick up a nice little 20 to last me 2 weeks just like it used too :D

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to my post! I feel a lot better now than I did at the beginning of the day, which is odd cause I've been working for the past 4 hours and that sobered me up pretty damn well. =P

9. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I get the feeling from the way you write that you feel like you have to figure everything out right now. The good news is that you don't/can't figure it out right now. Give full-blown Budhism a try if you want, and if you ever want to smoke, do that. You've got a whole life time to figure out what to believe in and what to follow.

10. i feel you man but careful, this post could be interpreted as you being under 18 and im pretty sure thats can get you banned( to the best of my knowledge?) sorry if im going of topic but i thought you should know

11. -- Siddhartha Gautama

Nobody can answer your question for you. What do YOU think about weed?

12. hi there,
    im glad youre feeling better. your posts are the most introspective i have seen . I would like to correspond with you. i would like to hear more about the positive things the plant has done for you
    =s

13. marijuana makes me feel more like me and less like a machine. now it is helpng me to meditate. My soul needs it

14. Yeah I had forgotten about that a bit, from what I've seen the moderators are pretty cool atleast. I'll remember to word things better from now on.

15. Funny, you know what that's exactly what I've been doing. I've got this habbit of jumping into everything head first and when my goal isn't accomplished with one huge effort then I get discouraged rather than just finding some middle ground to tread on while working it out calmy and with awareness.

16. Hmm, I think it's got tons of positive potential, but like everything else, too much of anything becomes a bad thing. Because of which I am NOT going to pick up a sack today even though I'm out, I'm gonna take a T Break and get things into perspective. :]
    Again, thanks everyone who took some time out of their day to put in their 2 cents, this thread really helped me get my head on straight again.

-Zach

17. buddha doesnt ask that you "engage in a buddhist lifestyle" he wasnt a god just a man.
    he wants you to use those beliefs to decide how you lead youre life.

he asks that you dont drink or do man made drugs generaly..

buddha would most likely want you to ask yourself "does the smokeing help me to focus or do i use it as a receational crutch?"

if anything capitalism above all clashes with buddhist belief.

do what you believe in as long as it doesnt cloud youre thinking.

find peace and bring peace:smoke:

18. Good plan. As with anything I think weed's potential is based mostly on how you use it. It's good to be able to step back and quit for a little bit.