Feds seize legalization petitions in washington raid...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Adam Bomb, May 21, 2010.

1. #1 Adam Bomb, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    Drug Task Force Seizes Signed I-1068 Petitions | Sensible Washington

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure thing kind of thing is both unconstitutional and illegal.

Sure, if it was a normal raid where they only seized medicinal marijuana and things like that, it would be more reasonable. But taking US citizen's right to vote and petition something for their government? I don't think that's fair.

--------------------------
    tl;dr

What's your take on the feds stealing a dozen SIGNED petition's in a dispensary raid? Do you think that there might be a legal issue brought up in the near future?

(Sorry if this is a re-post. I didn't find anything in a search)

EDIT: 420th post!!! (I think this an appropriate post for it, too. :D)

2. ya they definitely have to give those back. does anyone else see the symbolism here? i think its desperation. the feds are getting scared.

3. ^^yup. i think its because they know that they will have to fight crime now.

4. true. if i was a dea agent i would rather close down a legal business than get in gun battles with coke and herion cartels

5. google: "jack booted thugs"

6. yeah right?? sounds like a easy job to me.a dick job,but a easy job none the less

7. so....sign some more petitions? they can take what they took in the raid, just have the signors of the lost signatures sign again, as well as whoever else is pissed that the cops would do this.

8. #8 Tokensmoke10, May 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010

Thats beside the point, the fact of the matter is that they are doing something very unconstitutional and illegal, let alone very stupid.

For what reasons would signature initiative papers be evidence in drug raid? Fingerprints? DNA?? :eek:

Give me a break, this is desperation.

9. i think he was being a little sarcastic there, lol.

10. It's not beside the point, it's another point entirely. Fight them on the unconstitutionality of it (not that I see any laws against what happened...), but show them that their thievery isn't going to stop the movement.

11. I'd take that motherfucker to the supreme court. It' a totally illegal siezure of a petition document... You can't sieze one of those, there's no reason.

12. things are getting out of hand when it comes to governmental power.
    haven't we lost enough constitutional rights because of things like the patriot act?
    to stop terrorists... bullshit. the terrorists are our own government, aren't they?

at any rate this is certainly ridiculous and even if it is a legal seizure (i honestly can't see why it wouldn't be), it certainly can't hold up as evidence in court... or have we sunken so low?

13. Not that I support the cops, but where is there a law against "illegal seizure of a petition document?"

14. * First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, Freedom of Religion, and of assembly; right to petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

* Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

15. I agree, we can't let this stop the movement :smoke:

16. * Can't yell FIRE in a crowded building when there is no fire, incite riots or other violence etc.

* I'm sure, if there was a raid, there was a search warrant issued. PC is necessary for a search warrant (if in fact it was a valid warrant, signed by a judge), so the PC requirement was met. I'm sure the cops will come up with some kind of excuse to justify the papers taken in the raid, any half-assed connection between the two will be enough for them :confused_2: In any case, both of these are "lawful" restrictions on our rights; NONE of them are absolutely guaranteed.

Like I said I don't think they should have taken the papers, I'm just looking at it in the confines of our government now. They don't have to explain how the Federal laws trump our state laws, when the Constitution expressly forbids them to do so, so why would they have to explain why the papers were kept?

17. 1984, anyone?

18. I am fed up with stuff like this happening. It is beyond ridiculous!

19. part of the problem of this country is lawmakers are always trying to find constitutional loopholes. we shouldn't let these assholes get away with it, but america voted them in office...

The right to petition laws, first amendment, coupled with the 4th amendment, which states warrants must "describe the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized" make the taking of the petition paper unlawful.

I'm sure the petition wasn't mentioned in a warrant... feel free to disprove me, as I'm just assuming, but it seems like they had other things to worry about.