Fear is back : faint fuzzies followed by orange sun in dirt

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by urgr8estfear, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Yo peeps I'm back. My first post in a long long time.:wave:
    It took me 2 years of not posting nor smoking pot to determine that Al is killing me a lot quicker then Herb.:mad:
    I got fat and ended up with a 10 Bar bloodpressure.:eek:
    So I should stop drinking and start toking again and maybe some day a long long time from now I can retire.
    Maybe...

Anyway today I stuck 10 seeds in the soil.
    Soaked a bunch of them in water for 2 days, disposed of those that kept floating and picked out the 10 fattest from the bottom.
    Seeds are kinda old, like 4 years old while kept in the dark in a desk drawer at 20-35C.

The seeds are homemade NL and I'm kinda hopin' they'll still germ.
    I'm not going to bug you all with pics at this stage, I'm sure you can imagine how 10 plastic cups with soil in it look like.

So there we go.....grow number 7 or so started after pausing for 2 years.
    Let's see if I can get lucky.

2. Sub'd brother. :smoke:

Welcome back....I'm new here and just started growing (on my 3rd real grow) Stop by my journal and say hi...link is below.

3. DAY 2

So today I put some faint fuzzies overhead of my plants.
    2x 18W @ 1500 lumens each with a 4300K color temp at a 4 inch distance.
    I don't want to hang them closer to the soil at the moment, for then that little bit of soil with that little bit of water in the cups dry out pretty fast.
    And a dried out seedling is a dead seedling.

Also, with the lights a bit higher I can see all the soil surfaces meaning I know exactly when the first green's appear.

The seeds are between 1/2 and 1 inch deep.
    Any shallower and they'll move around during waterings and any deeper and they'll never 'see' the light.
    And so I await the miracle!

4. DAY 5 germination

And Jah looked upon the Netherworld...uhhhm...lands, noticed my grow and smiled.;)
    "Blessed be thy earthling, may your plants prosper like never before!"

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/thumbs/2010_10230008b.jpg

[​IMG]

Yeeeha....2 of my seeds have sprouted.
    Since this is my first grow in allmost 2 years now, I'm extra extra happy with this.
    You may have noticed.......;)

5. welcome back dude! :wave:

subscribed for sure!!

6. Glad to see they are waking up Fear....won't be long now. :smoke:

AW...dude, long time. Stop by my journal brother...always enjoy your thoughts and opinions.

7. DAY 7 germination

And then there were 6 :

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/2010_10260005b.jpg

[​IMG]

The seeds I'm using gotta to be at least three years old.
    6 out of 10 in 7 days is not bad and I'm wondering how many I'll end up with. In previous grows some seeds took 10 or 12 days to surface.
    Makes me think about people sticking seeds in their freezer or burying them underground to keep 'em cool.
    Seems like a waste of time to me now, dry & dark appear to be the most important two factors for storage of seeds.
    Does anyone disagree?:confused:

8. DAY 9 germination

OK. Number 6 is in trouble.
    Looks like it has it's orientation wrong, it's 'stem' is growing side ways into the dirt.
    If it doesn't get it's ass off the ground soon it will rot.
    No others have surfaced but I can see one seed was overtaken by white fungi before it got that chance to hatch.
    I may actually end up with only 5 plants this time.
    That'll give me a 1 in 32 chance of males only, 5 in 32 of 1 female, 10 in 32 of 2 females, 10 in 32 of 3 females, 5 in 32 of 4 females and (o boy) 1 in 32 of 5 females.
    I'll settle for 3.
    Anyway here's today pic, I should be going into vegging mode in a few days :

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/2010_10280002b.jpg

[​IMG]

9. DAY 12 germination

Right, and then 5 remained.
    Half of the seeds did not germinate or died trying.
    Maybe there's something to be said for storing seeds in the freezer after all! :eek:

So what does this teach me? To keep my seeds cold?
    No! To plant more during my next grow, it's not like I'm short on seed or anything.
    (one of the few virtues of growing your own seed it that you end up with enough to plant a whole forest)

In about a day or two, I'm gonna transplant them into pots and start the vegging stage.
    As you can see in the pics they do not look particularly healthy a bit yellow near the stem and one or two funky leaves.
    Funny thing is, with the naked eye it the leaves look totally green but the camera with the flasher makes it look yellow.
    Not sure what that means though....
    I'm not worried, most of my seedlings looked a bit pale in the past. I find this to be the hardest part of the whole grow, but they should grow out of it.
    Here, have a look :

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/2010_10310004b1.jpg

[​IMG]

10. DAY 1 VEGGING DAY 14 TOTAL

My plants are growing but still do not look particularly happy.
    The leaves are too dull and they are ailng a bit.
    Maybe a transplant and more light will suit them.
    El Cheapo bastard that I am I've kept them under 2x 18W T8 tubes for two weeks now.
    I'm upping to 6x 18W to give 'em more power.
    Also, I will try to ventilate the smokey room I keep them in a bit, they may not appreciate the poison air.
    Here's how they look now, a bit bigger but still a bit weak :

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/2010_11020003b.jpg

[​IMG]

11. DAY 10 VEGGING DAY 23 TOTAL

10 days of vegging did my seedlings well.
    2 of the plants are doing well,
    2 of them are still a bit traumatized by their experience as seedlings but are a few days younger then the other 2
    And 1 of the plants is a dead plant standing. Consider it terminated.
    Here, look :

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3142/2010_11110004b.jpg

[​IMG]