Faye's Coffee Can Cloner DIY Tutorial

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 3Deez, Oct 26, 2012.

1. I took some clones last week or so...I usually document the day so I can count the number it took for roots but for some reason I cant remember when I set these. I just know that it was approximately one to two days prior to Thanksgiving (I think). I had no roots yet last Sunday and on top of that, I got wrapped up with alot of other stuff so I didnt even mist them at all the passed week...forgot :eek:. I checked them last night when I got in the house and the attached pics is what I found :hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:.
    6 for 6 again!!! No additives in the water, no trimming of the leaves, not even mist for a week (I did mist for the first few days though) just RO water, sun from the window and plenty of oxygen. I really think that the oxygen is key! Note all the bubbles in water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're having problems getting roots, I'd start by checking the amount of oxygen that your pump is pushing to the water. I know that I mentioned before that smaller pumps might work but for some, it might not be enough (Im guessing). The one that I use is rated for a 60-??? whatever gallon tank. Good luck :wave:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Well done, sir!
    Good information on the pump size/ capacity...
    I have a feeling the one I have in my plant reservoir isn't big enough...
    May change it out for a bigger one , and then run it in my Fayes CCC.
    No DOUBT they like the 02..

3. #63 3Deez, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks itsghani,
    Yeah, I think the oxygen is definitely the key. I wanted to try to start adding aloe/kelp to the water like PW and the others do....but then there are some whow are having issues getting roots so I want to trouble shoot any possible areas. Oxygen is the only thing I can pin point right now.

4. dums don't underestimate the natural sunlight...my cloner gets sunlight thru the window in addition to 90w led and i get the same results..i got a big ass pump too.

5. Nice! I didn't spray them or cut the leaves either. And the cloner was in a closet with zero air circulation. I do have a larger pump though... All my 6 are now in pots looking just fine. :D

6. Awesome Tut, I am making several of these now. Just trying to collect enough Folgers cans to keep my grow room full =)

7. Simple, inexpensive, and the best part is that it obviously works well! + rep for this, it's f'n brilliant! My mango kush plant is still kind of young but i can definately get a good cutting...having an issue with root rot and shes real droopy the last day or so. Im going to make one of these tomorrow and take a clone, hopefully it will root so i can start over quickly if my root issue doesn't go away! Also, what about light leaking thru the container? Think it's as critical for this as having your 5 gal buckets light proofed? Anyone had any issues because of the container not being light proof? Couldn't hurt to wrap it in reflective or black tape. Also i use my tap water since it's only 48ppm, would leaving it in an open jug for a day be enough to evaporate any chlorine? I have a few jugs of DI water so ill probably just use that anyway, it's not like this takes 3.5 gallons :)

8. The best Part of Waking up is Folgers in your cup!!!

9. Hey does anyone have any extra Folgers coffee cans around? Will give you some cash to ship them to me lol.

10. :laughing: Are you serious? :poke: Why you just go buy some folgers and throw out the coffee, their only like ten bucks. It'd probably cost ya about that much to ship the package :rolleyes: :hide: or better yet just go buy a black bucket from the hydro store :poke: their only $8

11. My hydro store didn't have the buckets in this size, Folgers cans are the perfect size for what I am looking to do. I have 1 friend that drinks Folgers but it takes him a bit to drink the coffee. Maybe I can find a simular size online.

12. I talked my friend into giving me his coffee can by convincing him the coffee would do just fine in a ziplock :laughing:

13. I might do that this weekend Go over there with a Ziplock and con him out of the current Can lol. I hate coffee so it's out for me drinking it personally. Good idea heh I never would have thought of that. I have 1 of them now I just need about 2 more.

14. If you think you have over watered, you need to raise her up off the ground and gently blow a fan across her pot and try to dry her out to a thirst as quickly as possible. Don't blow the hell out of her but be sure the breeze is blowing across the dirt and the pot has plenty drainage.

15. I dont have any issues with light leaks effecting the roots. That can gets pretty bright once the day light hits the window...even after two to three weeks of growth...they just keep coming :hello:.

Your water is something I cant speak on too much. I'd say let it sit and try it out. If you have chloramine in your water system, it wont dissipate like chlorine...and will require some simple bubbling with organic material. Check your water treatment facility for your area. I called mine a long time ago to find out what they use and it also is supposed to be made to the public in your annual water report.

Hi greatkitsune,
    If you cant get ahold of coffee cans you can use a slew of other like sized containers. A good subsitute would be those little bucket/tubs that butter comes in. Exact same application.;)

16. Wow I hadn't even considered butter containers and I have a bunch of those laying around as tupperware lol. Thanks for the idea

17. :DSuccess! This is day 9 and one of the cuttings (old school 98 kush) has roots. I was thinking they might take as long as 2 weeks because they were so far into flower. I will post times as the other strains take root.:D

18. Made mine last night from a coffee creamer can for a single clone. The cutting is small I took it in attempt to save my mango kush strain that is having root rot issues. Hope she roots! It was not sagging one bit this morning and the part I took was bent from lst and its pointing straight up now!

19. :poke:if you have a plant with root rot we can help you but we need to act fast.:ey:

20. Done 3% h2o2 treatment, picked up aqua-shield too. Changed to a brand new bucket made double sure it's light tight, douched the airlines, stones, etc. also got some ro water to use instead of my tap (48ppm but I'd figure the ro may make a difference?). It was going great until I added 2 more stones from a different bucket must not have washed them enough cuz it started a day or so after that. Res temps are between 58-62. 4 new air stones also got installed. Hopefully the aqua shield works. I'm a bit iffy tho, the date says 9/2011and says its good for a year I may take it back to the hydro store if I see no difference. Sorry not trying to hi jack it all in my journal in my sig.