Favourite OS!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by *c0rrupt, Feb 1, 2013.

1. What's your favourite OS, and why?

2. I know this will be unpopular, but I really dig Windows 8. It's blazing fast and it just works flawlessly on my system.

3. Ubuntu!

4. I can't believe I forgot Windows 8 on the poll...:smoking:

5. Win 7. Couldn't get used to the Windows 8 interface. Might try it again later, after
    Service Pack 1 comes out.

6. This is something I can't understand about people's gripes with Windows 8. I'm not dogging you or anything man, just trying to explain.

The new start screen is absolutely no different than the old start menu. It's just redesigned. It looks different, but it functions absolutely the same way.

In the old start menu, your most recently used, or pinned programs, came up as soon as you clicked the start button, or the start orb in Vista and 7. In order to get to all of your programs, you had to go to "programs."

In 8, your most used apps/programs, or pinned programs, are laid out on the start screen. In order to get to all of your programs, you right click with your mouse and choose "all apps." That brings up every single program on your computer.

It's literally nothing more than a design change. I think people are missing that because they're just so jarred by how different it looks. Once you get used to it it is just so much more efficient.

7. Windows 7.

8. You forgot about 10.7 (Lion) too.

9. Windows 7. It's got its quirks but it does more than what I need it to and works. Also, android.

10. Have dual boot XP/7. XP is still my favorite.

11. I can't figure out how to use Ubuntu for the life of me :|

12. what are you having trouble with? I think Ubuntu is one of the most user friendly out of all the distros

13. Mostly the installation of things, how to find hardware specs (something similar to running "dxdiag" on windows). I don't like how I have to google how to install stuff as simple as Java and whatnot.

14. i havent used half of those so ill just pick win7 cause thats what im running right now.

15. Takes awhile to learn to commands, but its really easy once you do. Also, try the software center ;)

16. haha thats what all the fun is. You have control over everything you do

17. I don't like ubuntu. It's too buggy. I've literally tried more than 10 different versions of vanilla buntu on my computer and they all have issues. Drivers mainly. Never had so many issues other distros I've used. Plus unity is still pretty iffy, gnome was much better for productivity and minimalism.

18. nah i got rid of Unity the first day i installed it. You can switch the newest Ubuntu with gnome. I havnt had any problems

19. i used to run a beefed up version of xp that just worked so amazingly well but im using 7 right now because my only working computer wont run any other operating system but thats fine 7 is def my second fav os followed by Ubuntu or any other linux i have only used Ubuntu tho