Favorite breed of dog?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Im Stoned, May 5, 2012.

1. I see both sides of the argument...

Though really, unless you're part of an organisation that conducts background checks and rigorous domicile and family suitability checks with every potential buyer/receiver of the puppies that your dog produces - it's very difficult to ensure that even while you may be doing right by your animals, there are those that won't.
    There are those that will use them to breed and sell, or those that might not neuter them like yourself but be themselves irresponsible as well.

I'm not pro-neutering, but I totally understand why the majority consider it to be a good idea.

I don't want to take sides...but I have worked at the Sydney RSPCA and visited the shelters on numerous occasions while I was there.
    You are right. Rottweilers actually were the majority.
    Labradors *sometimes* came a close second.
    Generally larger breeds. A lot of German pointers.
    Just saying.

2. I'm not trying to argue with you, only just see if I can get a clearer perspective one this.

----

So, you want to breed your Rottweiler, yes?

Well then that's up to you, although like SniperKitty said it's best to have them spayed/neutered because it allows the animals to not have certain health problems as well as allowing the animals to be more stable emotionally because they won't have that rapid spike of hormones every so often.

But you don't get to choose the size of the liter, so would you just give away the puppies you don't want and hope the other puppies land in a loving, healthy environment? How would you handle the potential health problems of those puppies if they were born sick? What if your Rottweiler had health problems during birth, how would you handle those?

Sniper's not ragging on you, you took it like that because he stated something you didn't want to read. Sniper is saying it's wiser because in the end it's overall a healthier, kinder option for the animal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to breed my English Cocker Spaniel, Jack, if I could. But neither me nor my family has experience with breeding so that would be a bad, bad idea for us because we have no idea how to breed and it'd hurt Jack because we'd have not nearly as good of an idea how to help him raise his puppies, if he had them. It's similar to unintentional cruelty towards the animals.

Sniper is only saying it's unwise because there's a lot of variables and extraneous factors that come into play with animal breeding that you may or may not be prepared for. That's all really. I'm sure he had no intention of offending you, but instead he just offered a view of what it's like for animals that don't wind up in loving homes due to overpopulation.

Hopefully you understand a little more where he's coming from.

3. *facepalm*
    Dancing around the issue again.

Your one dog with one mate can create 5 littlers of 5 puppies each. You have created 25 puppies. With your logic to tell everyone to NOT spay and neuter, those puppies turn around and have 3 litters with 3 puppies each. Now your ONE dog created 225 puppies. You want to be looked at as a responsible owner? Right. Now those 225 puppies all need homes, they will mate as well because of your ridiculous thought. Now they become even MORE.

Find homes for all those puppies you "responsible" pet owner you. There is no natural enemy of a dog and cat, they live with and around humans where no predator will hunt them. The only enemy of domestic animals is humans and disease.

If you want to be looked at as a "reputable breeder" but don't even know how one is labeled as such, then you're obviously too uneducated about the breeding business to become a part of it. You need to start doing some homework. We see people like you come in all the time, upset because we send our dogs home fixed. Because you saw that Pitt Bull, or German Shepherd over there, and now that you've seen this beautiful animal, now you're all of a sudden a breeder? No. You're JUST as bad as the ignorant people, you're just as irresponsible as them too. Being a responsible owner doesn't stop at not feeding your dog corn -.-

Not everyone who gets a beautiful animal is now all of a sudden a breeder. That thinking is the stupidity you're talking about that got us into this. Along with the "don't spay and neuter" thing, that didn't help either. Both views that YOU have, are the views that the ignorant and irresponsible people had and what got us into this mess.

If you want to be considered a "reputable breeder" maybe you should start researching about what goes along with that. It's not just puppies and fun. True breeders put tons of energy, time, care, and MONEY into it. They spend time reasearching homes that their animals go to, lots of time in vet clinics spaying and neutering their puppies before they get sold, spend lots of money in clinics getting shots and deworming their puppies before selling them. They bring their bitches and males into the clinic AT LEAST twice a year one for shots and one for physicals, not including taking the bitch when she's pregnant to determine number of puppies and any issues the bitch may have while pregnant. That all falls on the breeder, until that puppy leaves your hand, you're out of pocket all of that. You spay and neuter to make sure the line ends with the bitch and the male dog, and doesn't cause more overpopulation. You also don't want bloodlines getting recrossed due to over breeding of a certain breed like what happened with the dalmatian and the golden retriever in their eras of popularity. A true breeder knows the consequences of keeping animals in tact, so they make sure that their puppies do not get the chance to cause tons of unwanted puppies. They fill out SO much paperwork, they have to to sell their dogs legally and show that they are full bred, and had the proper veterinary care before being sold. And the paperwork to send across different countries is HORRENDOUS! And to ship a puppy to Britain (one of the few countries that is completely rabies free yay!) the paperwork is even MORE extensive, and there are so many regulations to follow. Not only do you have to do all this but you have to know the bloodline of your dogs, if there is genetic issues in either bloodlines you could have some major puppy problems. You want good healthy dogs, and that takes time to find a suitable breeding pair. You're also stuck with any unhealthy puppies. What are you going to do with the unhealthy puppies? Those born with cleft palates or genetic issues? As a breeder those puppies are YOUR responsibility, they are yours to take care of, you brought them into this world so you have to find a home for them, or take care of the expenses yourself and have the puppy live with you.

Unless you follow the rules, unless you are 100% dedicated to becoming a breeder, want to spend your money on taking care of the dogs and puppies finding them homes, giving them proper treatment, food, shelter, doing the research about adopting families, and spay and neuter the puppies to prevent over population (which messes up YOUR income as well since there are less and less people to sell to with each litter, and if those puppies breed that makes it even LESS to sell to) genetic defects due to crossed bloodlines, and to make sure each puppy lives the longest healthiest life possible, unless you do all of this, you are just as ignorant, irresponsible, and uneducated as everyone else who thinks they are a "breeder" now that they have a dog.

If you want to keep your dog in tact, fine, so be it, I don't control you or your dog. But you're not educated enough about the true business of being a reputable breeder in order to actually breed your dog. You will only make the problem worse, no matter how you justify yourself in ruining lives of the puppies you bring into this world. So keep your dog on a tight leash, keep it away from the females, leave the breeding to the people willing to actually put the time needed to do the job properly.

4. he called me stupid on more the one occasion, lol
    you also need reading comprehension
    the health problem you keep telling me about
    show me that with dogs that have not been fed pure rubbish
    which is the case %99 of the time
    these "external variables" you refer to are ignorant people
    all im saying is that we need to educate more people about ownership of pets
    and enforce it somehow (good luck in this stupid society) but because we dont, and
    we have stupid people who have sex and give birth to more stupid people,
    imagine by your logic what would happen if we spayed and neutered people,
    imagine how much problems that would solve...

my bottom line is.
    the reason that people spay and nueter is not because some risks of health (while they are there, they are minor if you feed proper nuitrition)
    but imagine if we were mature and responsible enough to live in harmoney with nature,
    spaying and neutering is not in harmoney, and the bottom line is, its done out of convenience.

all these problems you keep telling that stem from not spaying and neutering and breeding, they dont occur because of that, they occur because people are irresponsible jackassess,

we need to spay and nueter because we are stupid and irresposible and lazy as a species
    that is the only reason..., thats all im saying,
    and thats a bad reason

/rant

5. This whole thing is off topic but, I'll go ahead and throw in my $.02

I'm fairly certain you don't know what you're talking about. Many dogs and cats are not fit for breeding, even if they have papers saying they are pure, unscrupulous breeding can cause severe health problems.

If I were to breed my boy, no matter how much I love him and think he's awesome, I will be passing on unknown and possibly bad genetics. I took him out of a meth-house, I only know WHAT he is because I saw his parents, I know nothing about their health, and it has nothing to do with me being lazy about it, just circumstances being what they were. I'm plain lucky that he has such a sweet temperament, his mother did not.

With pet overpopulation the way it is how could you say that EVERY owner needs to breed their dogs? Where I live, the animal shelter kills animals in a GAS CHAMBER. I would be absolutely crushed if knew that I had inadvertently sent an animal there to die. If not one of the puppies my dog fathered, a dog that was passed over because someone wanted one of the puppies I allowed to be born.

Your assertions only work in a perfect world, one without assholes, and this world is not perfect and there seems to be no shortage of assholes.

And I'd like to add, I've seen well behaved small dogs before. If people would stop letting them get by without proper training they wouldn't be so obnoxious.

6. Anything big and mean looking but with a heart of gold.

7. Damn Android app won't let me upload pics of my boy.

I've got a white and black Siberian husky with full heterochromia. He has one brown eye and one blue eye. His name is Akiva but I usually just call him Kiva.

Siberian huskies are my favorite breed. Have been since I was a kid

8. When I was doing companion animal services studies, I learned that with this condition, the dog is statistically likely to have slight hearing problems on the same side the "odd" colour is on. Strange.

9. #69 RooRgle, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    Not trying to stick my foot in a conversation between you and sniper, but....
    we do get neutered and spayed, it's called a vasectomy and tubectomy....and there are tons of reasons to get something like that done, this prevents stupid people from producing, which was your point right? Imagine all those dumb people you keep talking about, and how they keep producing more dumb people, maybe more people should get fixed, like their pets, so you can live in a world with no dumb people, however that is against everything you've been fighting Sniper about....

And for the record my universities campus has an insane amount of stray cats that come to warm up on our heat vents outside, probably from one asshole who let their cat go without being fixed, and that cat found another cat, and another cat. All of these cats on campus are found, and well...I guess you can use your imagination as to what happens to each one.

10. [quote name='"RandomThoughts"']
    When I was doing companion animal services studies, I learned that with this condition, the dog is statistically likely to have slight hearing problems on the same side the "odd" colour is on. Strange.[/quote]

That's actually cool to know! Thanks man. Something the vet never told me.

Thankfully he hears extremely well and hasn't had any health issues whatsoever the 3 years I've had him. He's actually my companion dog for schizophrenia. 3 years ago I was really bad, thankfully now I'm on a course of meds that work great and don't really need him for service purposes anymore. But he's still my best buddy <3

11. Samoyed

[​IMG]

Have one of these. My best buddy. It sucks though, since they're white he gets too dirty too quick and he sheds like a mofo too. Well worth it. He looks kind of like the pic, except with a little less fur.

12. [quote name='"thecheezman"']Samoyed

Have one of these. My best buddy. It sucks though, since they're white he gets too dirty too quick and he sheds like a mofo too. Well worth it. He looks kind of like the pic, except with a little less fur.[/quote]

Sammy smiles are the best!

13. ^^ Looks like an albino chow chow.

14. [quote name='"nanners"']
    [/quote]

^ Weimereiner

They are so neurotic sometimes though! >.<

15. Maybe if they aren't exercised. Mine steals socks and hides them under the bed.

16. Mine is a either rottweiler, golden retriever, or Bernese mountain dog. The only dogs ive owned.

[​IMG]
    Has to be a good swimmer! and extremely loyal dog.

17. [quote name='"nanners"']

Maybe if they aren't exercised. Mine steals socks and hides them under the bed.[/quote]

Yeah we had a breeder at my old work. He says its something to do with they eye and coat color that can make them that way genetically. Especially if they dont have good bloodlines.

They are stunning dogs though, they stop people on the street. Its those eyes that get me, they pierce right through you it seems. And yeah keeping them cooped up really will make that breed go crazy Haha.

18. Saw a beagle puppy run in the street the other night I was driving home, it's a shame I couldn't stop to see if I could rescue him. :( (would have caused a wreck if I tried to stop)

Seeing runaway puppies and kittens always shatters my heart cause that means someone's pride and joy is loose and I couldn't do anything to save that animal's life. All I can do is hope that puppy I saw the other night is still alive and fighting. :cry:

19. Mine goes on long runs and swims all the time and hes usually well behave. He does look like an alien with his yellow eyes. Something he'll stare at me forever with that stare they do and it can be creepy. lol

He can be really cute.
    [​IMG]