Faux Recovery - Reason.com

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shade, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Faux Recovery
    Don't believe the hype about green jobs
    David Harsanyi | January 13, 2010

2. The math just doesn't support 'green jobs.' We only need to take a look at Spain's absolute disasterous attempt to build a 'green economy' by government fiat.

If a 'green economy' were viable and profitable, it would (and presumably will) emerge through market forces. Government intervention will only prevent innovation.

What's the 'greenest' car on the market?

The one you already own. Buying a new car, in most instances, is far worse for the environment then keeping the one you burn. The energy needed to create the new car (and all its various components, and to ship it, and to advertise it, etc etc etc) will almost never outweigh the energy savings achieved by simply continuing to use your current vehicle until it is essentially non-functional.

In many instances 'green' comes out to mean 'elimination of economic activity.'

As Barack Obama said:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ]YouTube - SHOCK Audio Unearthed OBAMA TELLS SAN FRANCISCO HE WILL BANKRUPT THE COAL INDUSTRY[/ame]

QUOTE: "If somebody wants to build a coal fired plant they can, its just that it will bankrupt them."

And Biden:

"No coal plants here in America. Build them, if you're going to build them then build them over there [meaning presumably China, India, etc]."

'Green Jobs' to most of the left is simply another code word for 'give the government total power over the economy.'

Why is it that the end stage for every leftist program, policy, and proposal is 'give the government total power over the economy.'?

3. does anyone even support obama anymore? i hope his administration had lost all credibility long before this new fiasco

4. as long as he has that (D) next to his name people will support/vote for him regardless of policy. Same goes for the guys with the (R) next to their name.

5. this is why the two party system fails, i know most of us know this, but it will never change, its all an illusion of change.

6. Nothing this or the previous administration have done, have in any way helped in the direction of a true recovery. It have merely postponed an inevitable total collapse. At the taxpayers expense by massive inflation and deficit spending and transference of funds to failed financial institutions. Or in other words, subsidizing the already filthy rich rather than secure jobs and future for the average wage-earner.

Something that could have been done by letting the finance establishment that gambled, simply go bust and using a fraction of the bailout money to invest in infrastructure and industry maintanance and expansion, a solid push for education, giving government loans to viable businesses and people hit by the credit crunch, throttling down military spending and so on.

Instead, US government think exploiting the USD as international fiat currency give them a license to print "free" money thinking that will solve everything. Rack up more debt to solve what is essentially a problem of already too much debt.

Insane if you ask me, and it can not end well.

7. I agree that the 2-party system is an abysmal failure, but I disagree with the notion that it will never change. On the contrary, I think change in this case is quite inevitable, and I'd even go as far as to suggest that we may very well be witnessing the beginnings of such change. As to what the result of such change may be, I cannot say, obviously... but I still believe that change will be inevitable and most likely sooner rather than later.

8. I don't think this can be attributed to ignorance or insanity, these men know full well what they are doing.

I would call it evil. :confused_2:

9. I don't really think they are aware of what they are doing. I think more that they are trapped by their own hubris. Denying facts, because they think the world will adapt to their idea of it, rather than the sensible thing, looking at the world as it is and adapt to it.

In short, they are in love with the idea that the US is the worlds leading nation, which to an extent is true. It is just not a nation on a sustainable economic path. That is what they ignore.

They think they can keep an unsustainable system going, by simply creating more credit, when debts accrued due to too easily available credit is the primary problem to begin with.

That the USD is the fiat international currency, have allowed the US to rack up foreign debt beyond any precedent, dismantle domestic industry by creating currency to buy foreign industrial products cheaper than domestic industrial products, increase deficit spending and even think it can do this into eternity.

Not how economics work, and the US will pretty soon hit a wall of reality. The reality that only production result in prosperity. Debt do not. When the USD have expended its trust as a viable hard currency, all hell will break loose. No more zero-interest rates, no more non-vital imports. The US simply have nothing significant to trade, apart from high tech military toys and various IT related products.

It will hit overnight, like an elastic finally snapping under the tension. Unless changes are made pretty soon to get the deficit and trade-balance under control.

10. What may happen is a state-by-state legislative revolt against the federal government. States will be emboldened to stand up to the feds by passing laws explicitly blocking the enforcement of new legislation or regulations.

The election in 2010 is going to sweep into power a large group of fiscal conservatives. The biggest gains will be on the state level and the bills are already being introduced. This may set up a direct confrontation with Obama, where I doubt he will be as timid to fight as he is with our true enemies.

DrChill