Farmer Struggles to Hire Americans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ktmsmoker, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Eventually American workers will come down to Earth and be grateful for jobs like this.

2. We probably will some day. But until we do, our less fortunate neighbors will pounce on these oppurtunities. This one of the reasons Asian children do so well. Their parents instill earnest, hardworking values. (again, first hand experience) Reform the immigration process!

3. Ya, the more the merrier, I say.

What are the downsides? Increased competition of labor and we lose some wealth to remittances.

4. If only the jobs truly reflected their worth, we would have those food growing/gathering people making more than 35k a year, and big business executives making less then 35k a year....(oh wait, that would require us all to NOT value the skill of exploiting people while screwing them out of their fair share and pay, for your own personal gain...)

Everyone needs food, means those that grow and gather it are very valuable to 99% of the world.

Only 1% need employees that are willing to screw millions of innocent people so they can hoard even more of the imaginary wealth for the 'masters' (all the oil, gold and silver in the world won't do shit to feed you if there is nobody left to grow and gather food)

Pick up 20 of the migrant farm workers, and 20 of the 'elite'...drop each group on separate island in the same area of shark invested turbulent seas with nothing more than a box of seeds for veggies, fruits, and grains, check back in a year...and see which has survived and prospered, and which is dead or dieing.

5. Immigrants are efficient workers, man.

From my years of restaurant experience, I've never seen any other individuals able to peel & dice 45 onions in 30 minutes.

6. i saw this article a while back, and i definately support immigrants illegal and legal. it can take 20 years to get in legally. we need to make south american countries prosper, thus lowering incentive to come here

7. I hope no one here is unemployed, there's no reason when there are perfectly good ditches to be dug, berries to be picked, and toilets to be cleaned.

8. Jobs that don't require skill have such a huge labor supply that the wage is driven down by competition.

The only way I think a farm could benefit from paying the laborers more is if they advertise their produce as "Fair Wage" or something.

9. Fuck all that noise !! i went to college!!! 50,000 a year in air conditioning is no less than i deserve!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. #11 dubaba, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
    If you work the land you should legally beable to live there.

I work on a farm during the summers and it does really suck, but Id rather be outside working with my hands than inside all day. I worked last summer with a couple mexicans, they didnt want to be in America but they felt they had no other option. They send almost all the money they make home to there families so that they can survive, I cant be against that.

11. Can you send me an app? :(

12. Human capital increases GDP.

It's only a strain with welfare.

13. #14 cball, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
    Elitist attitudes...some think skill is a degree in economics or business...is it skill that has economy where it is today...or is it the fault of the 'unskilled' labor pool and farmers...but lets not get into that as some will just say its class warfare talk...

[​IMG]

14. Theft is one thing. Last time I checked, people willingly give their money to business. Maybe they have something to offer?

15. hmm...
    Lies to get the money, deceit on how it was being used, ya, and theft at the end, when they had bailouts and gave themselves big bonuses for fucking up and losing the investors money via other lies, other deceits...

Was it the lies or was it deceit you were thinking they had to offer as a skill, a product, a service to sell?

Maybe both, history shows us they work great when combined...but there seems to be a gap between those skills and food production and even the building of the very offices those wise skilled ones work in...please fill in that gap if you can...use small words, some unskilled manual labor types may try to read the info for some silly reason...

16. Are you kidding me cball? Not every boss is a devious psychopath who stomps the homeless.

Farm workers don't deserve high salaries because anyone can do it. The same reason McDonalds employees don't get $55 an hour. It's illogical.

17. but no one WILL do it, that's the problem (did u read the OP's article?)

they are americas most important resource and it is backbreaking hard work.

most people would never do it.

these workers deserve a much higher salary.

(not talkin bout mcdonalds, i mean farmers)

18. Increased competition of labor equals lower wages that does not sound like a good idea right now, when wages have remained stagnant we have a huge unemployment rate and the wealth of the country is concentrated in the hands of the few. We have a lot of people without work and A LOT of unskilled labor, the last thing we need is more unskilled labor!

19. You obviously have never worked on a farm if you think anyone can do it. Try being out in the 100 degree heat for 10 hours a day, which isnt even bad compared too when the humidity is also high as shit. Having to know carpentry, about chemicals, animal health, electrical wiring, fixing tractors and other farm equipment and many many many more things.

Most farmers including myself get payed below minimum wage.