Fan noise and acoustic ductin...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by wEEDhEAD1, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ok so my new fan (swift air, 150mm, 410cfm) fan is ridiculously loud. The internet told me that this fan was only 2db louder than my previous rvk, which is obviously not true... I can no longer sleep in my room!

So I've been looking at making quiet boxes with either expanding foam or polystyrene. I'm gonna go poly as its not as "Perminant".

my first question would be for other suggestions to making a more quiet fan?

Also When I was searching I came across acoustic ducting. I think this would further help because at it's top speed it's like a jet engine lol
    The only thing that's put me off is I read a review by someone saying its no good for smell :/
    I run filter - fan - light - exhaust so I'm afraid if I get it it smell will escape.

So my second question is, is this true. Do you use acoustic duct?. What's the difference between this and normal duct?

I need to quit things down so I can stop sleeping on the couch!..

Thanks guys

2. Fans are loud as dick unfortunately, you might want to invest in a speed controller to handle the sound it might lower cfm but at night it's cooler just turn it down when you sleep and back up when you're awake.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. Tried that already, even turned to lowest it's too loud. I was trying it yesterday, I have it set to the lowest point that still gives negative pressure :/.

Anyone useing acoustic duct? Does it work?

4. I used laminate floor acoustic underlay. It was about 14 bucks for a massive roll. I wrapped it around my fan (4 or 5 layers). I wrapped it round my ducting which I kept in a straight line (keeping the ducting straight helps with noise reduction) I made a sleeve for the inside of the ducting and put that down the exit hole. I am now running my extraction at 45-50 dB when it was originally 65-70. You can buy this foam underlay in different dB resistance levels. 10db, 15db.....Etc etc. I also fashioned a hood for the top my extraction which also helps a lot with the noise.

The first pic is the air filter and the inline . The inline is the only thing covered there. The filter is exposed under the acoustic underlay for obvious reasons

The second pic is the exit ducting which has underlay on the inside and out.

The third and fourth pic are the custom hood made out of a plastic tub lined with underlay and the bottom cut out with a trial and error directional spout (pictured last)

Just copy this shit and use the fan controller and you will sleep like a baby in no time.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Vodafone 985N using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Adding a speed control to an electric motor will often increase hum of small motors. Not saying for sure this is part of your problem. Problem may be the quality of the fan to start with. They will all make some noise. I did some looking and reading and bought al S&P fan. Very quiet. Two speeds.
    Good luck.

6. Bro thank you so much, what a great idea! I will defo give this a shot. I am the most unhandy of men but I will try lol

I've played around with it and that may be the case I can't tell but t defiantly gets loud on full whack.
    I had a limited budget for another fan so I got this. It was £70 off amazon. Plus when I looked it said my rvk was 40db and this was 42. But this is unvearable. Defo cheap internet product!
    But yes anyway I will defiantly play around asap. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks guys

7. No problem. Anytime.

8. Forgot to mention. Have a few squares cut to put under the filter otherwise the vibrations will cause more noise than required

9. I hang my filter. I thought I noticed yours on the floor. Does t still work properly like that, I thought heat and smells rise...

10. Hanging it is best to help with heat (not sure how his is set up, just answering the question)
    Hanging your fan from bungee cords will help a lot with vibrations, or you can make an insulated box to put it in.

11. Yeah the only reason I have mine on the floor is because I'm in a close apartment block and it's tight for space. Plus for me to have straight ducting and control my RH it's optimal for my set up. My space is 60x90x135cm. Very small so space is everything and I cant mount it outside. Im not suggesting you put yours on the floor though. Just keep that bad boy straight and you're bi-winning.

12. Also my heat isn't an issue as I run Hans panel 180w LEDs and the drivers are outside the tent.

13. And I suppose I was suggesting to put it on the floor. Haha woops. Was just trying to think of everything did and added it to the list.

14. Yes I got the bungee cords too. And yes that's why I opens the thread, Ideas in making everything quiet :)

Lol, again appreciate it. I've been looking around, that acoustic underlay isn't looking so cheap. Typically between £40-£100 a roll. If I find some cheaper on the internet, they seem to be labeld acoustic but have no db rating.
    I've found some carpet underlay rated 27db I think, says its for shock and air born vibrations so i might give that a go. I'm gonna head out tommorow look around a wicks and a b&q see what I can find.
    I've got some polystyrene and a box. I might try make a acoustic box for the fan and when I find this acoustic underlay I'll wrap that around everything like you.
    Also I go filter, fan, light then need to go over my tent to exhaust out the window, so 3/4 bends. I'll try to rearrange my tent too.

15. I hang my fan on a chain from the ceiling as walls amplify the sound of the fan.

16. Build a box out of particle board to mount the fan inside and fill it with egg crate foam insulation. Cut duct holes on each side of the box to connect the ductwork. Don't worry about the fan overheating the air circulating will keep it cool. Use insulated ductwork and a duct muffler. HTG Supply - Duct Muffler 6"
    [​IMG]
    Do those three things you'll probably be fine.

17. Check out the Vortex S-line fans. With a speed control and muffler, this thing is the quietest I have found.

18. It's funny I've just come of Amazon looking at a muffler like that. But there nearly as expensive as the fan itself. Also do you need one on either end or just the exhaust side?
    I've never heard of particle board, I'll have a read up on the morning. I was thinking of useing the box it came it but thinking will be too tight :/
    Plus desperately trying to finds some acoustic underlay that isn't to costly, so I can try my hand at something like Anddy has setup. I'll make this tommorows task.

keep in mind that I'm on a very limited budget, if I wasn't I'd have a silent fan lol

19. Down the line i hope to have all top notch items and not have to bodge everything lol
    But for now no money no honey! :confused_2:

20. #20 Tbone Shuffle, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    There's a reason that particle board is used for speaker boxes. It's better then standard wood at deadening vibration and noise. It's also denser. The muffler would go on the output of the fan somewhere down the line as close to the fan as you can. Most of the noise of a fan is the noise of airflow. That's why all forced air home heating ducting systems are insulated. It's not necessarily to keep the heat in the duct. It's for noise too.

• Like Like x 1