Fan leaf removal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by chainmaker, Nov 3, 2017.

1. For a single cola plant or budsicle, how many fan leads are safe to remove? This is my first set of clones into budding and obviously I'd like to get the best yield. Below is a pic, any thoughts or advice?
    20171103_122944.jpg

2. The leaves are the sun suckers which promote photosynthesis so they're obviously essential to the plants growth but I've read that removing "some" will redirect the light to the main colas or something, can u please share your thoughts on defoiling?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

3. Better to leave them on IMO. Tuck them out the way if need be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. IMO, you simply do not have enough leaves to de-foliate anything!!
    The major issue with de-foliation is that if done incorrectly or at the wrong time, the plant will not releaf and she will need the leaves later in flower to nurish from..I do de-foliate at strategic times but I keep it light.

Here is a jungle of 4 plants that were defoliated in veg and into week 3 of flower..
    The 2 in the rear are in flush, thus the dying leaves..Harvest in about 10 days.

11-08-17 1wk of flushing.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Agreed with the previous posters, having looked at your plant, you don't need to remove any leaves, they appear fine and healthy.. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. You need to get them out of the gatorade bottle and get them into a 3 gal min.They are root bound already or close to it chain.The node spacing on those plants isnt close together so u shouldnt have a light penetration issue, thus de-foliating wont do anything for you really.Doesnt appear to have any training or topping done to this plant? When i LST/Super cropping/mainfold is when i do alot of trimn.What ever u do, needs to be done in veg and it looks like those plants are in pre-flower so its really to late to do much to them w/o affecting flowering.It wont hurt to trim leaves off the first 3 nodes and re-direct that energy.

7. I did defoliate all fan leafs at day 21 and within 2 days sugarleaf and bud size doubled and they have continued to grow with results Im happy with...so much as I defoliated the second set at day 21 as well with the same results...as far as being rootbound they are fine..they get plenty of water, nutrients and oxygen change through immersion watering. Here are 3 at day 34ish 19" tall.
    20171118_163415.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. NO OFFENSE, but Your plants will have a difficult time nuturing the buds later in flower with almost no fan leaves..sugar leaves are a SECONDARY source of food for the plant after the fans are consumed..The plants will not take nutrients from the medium later in flower and with no fans to cannabalize to help the buds grow/mature..I guess time will tell and I DO wish you well.
    Apparently the general consensus here was not to do it..Hopefully you are correct and we are wrong.;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I think defoliation os a necessary technique for mini grows.
    If its outdoor or you have plenty of space i wouldent defoliate at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm 100% in agreement with you on this :)

11. Go look up three a light on YouTube. A friend of mine bought the book, and let me read it. I’ve been using the defoliation process they talk about in there book, and it’s brutal. You did what some people paid $500 to pick up. Good job, you gotta be careful who you take advice from on forums. Your plant doesn’t need those leaves if you’re feeding it right.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  12. And during the last few weeks when the plant will not feed thru its roots..What will she eat, with no fan leaves..I simply agree to disagree. The yield on OP's plants is gonna be tiny anyway.

13. Bad santa look up drbud method on icmag. Theres some proliphic sog perpetual shit going on id you care to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HahHahHah..There are so many schools of thought on this one (as in Jorge Cervantes) ..each to their own. If you are happy, I am happy!!
    Gobble Gobble;)